ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Maintenance questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-03, 03:32 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maintenance questions...

Regarding timing belt, I know some belts that go can cause the valves to freeze up etc... Do you know if the belt on a 97 or newer is the type that could cause such damage? I'm planning on doing it sometime this summer, but would hate to wait and end up paying major bucks to repair/replace the engine.

Lastly, perhaps this should be another topic, but has anyone rec'd a letter from Lexus talking about a sludge- problem in engines caused by people who don't get oil changes often enough? I got a letter recently, kinda cool essentially it says they'll cover my '97 engine until 2007.

Sorry, one more thing, at this high of mileage is a bad idea to now start using synthetic oil?
Old 01-27-03, 08:25 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

as far as i know and last time i checked, 1mz- engines are non-interference. so, timing belt snap does not equal valve damage.

if you want to hear more about people's opinions regarding the toyota sludge "problem," you can try a quick search. we've talked about it quite a few times here on clublexus.

now, synthetic oil. exactly how many miles are you on? my 95 ES is about 100,000 miles, and i just recently put in synthetic oil and it worked wonders for my car and i. IMO anything 100K and under is fine. anything over that, i have no experience and therefore, no say!
Old 01-28-03, 06:02 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by meZoom!
as far as i know and last time i checked, 1mz- engines are non-interference. so, timing belt snap does not equal valve damage.

if you want to hear more about people's opinions regarding the toyota sludge "problem," you can try a quick search. we've talked about it quite a few times here on clublexus.

now, synthetic oil. exactly how many miles are you on? my 95 ES is about 100,000 miles, and i just recently put in synthetic oil and it worked wonders for my car and i. IMO anything 100K and under is fine. anything over that, i have no experience and therefore, no say!
Thkx,

My '97 Es3 has about 95 thousand miles on it. I've heard if you start using synthetic, or a blend, you really need to continue doing so. At this point, I'm not sure if really would benefit to switch or not?
Old 01-28-03, 11:45 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

guys, I hope I can help clearify some stuff.

I have found out that it is BS that once you switch to synthetic you can't go back. From several reputable mechanic sources, this is a myth created by the oil manufacturers so that they will increase their profit. (synthetic costs more). I say try it, if you are not satisfied, then go back to dino or a blend.

==============================================
Second the 1MZ-FE engine is "interference".
Here are the comments from Lexus.

1. Discussion Thread

Customer (Stephen Johnson) 01/27/2003 08:41 PM

I had asked a question regarding replacing timing belts on the 2002 ES200 "1MZ-FE" engine in Dec/02. An excellent explanation was offered as to interference vs non-interference engine design.

I forgot to ask the most important question:

Is the 1MZ-FE interference or non-interference?

Thanks,
Steve Johnson
Boston, MA

Response (Jeff Shimizu) 01/28/2003 11:02 AM
Dear Mr. Johnson:

Thank you for contacting the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department regarding your 2002 ES 300. The 1MZ-FE engine is an "interference" engine.

If you have any further questions, you can also reach the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Pacific Time.

Sincerely,
Jeff Shimizu
Customer Satisfaction Representative

Customer (Stephen Johnson) 12/16/2002 10:58 AM

I have heard multiple discussions on various ES model timing belt replacement, mostly as part of a forum on www.clublexus.com.

They refer to the 1MZ-FE as an "interference" engine and the 3VZ-FE as a "non-interference" engine. What is the difference bewtween interference and non-interference.

I have the 1MZ-FE engine in an 02 ES300. If the timing belt goes during warranty is it covered? Are any related parts that may be damaged (I'm told this happens in "interference" engines) covered?

Should I prepare to change the timing belt at 75,000 just to be sure is doesn't go unexpectedly or is the 90,000 mile suggested change interval compensating for this possibility.

Thanks,
Steve Johnson

Response (Jeff Shimizu) 12/16/2002 01:00 PM
Dear Mr. Johnson:

Thank you for contacting the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department regarding your 2002 ES 300.

In a non-interference engine, the engine was originally manufactured so that if the timing belt breaks, the valves and the pistons will not come into contact. (Subsequent major engine work, such as a valve job or engine rebuild, may change this characteristic.) There can however, still be damage if the timing belt breaks. Basically, anything that has direct contact with the belt can potentially become damaged, such as the belt cover, pulleys, tensioner, water pump, etc... Our timing belts have been very reliable. However, the timing belt is subjected to severe stress if the vehicle is operated under extensive idling or low speed driving for long distances, such as in heavy commercial use such as delivery, taxi, or patrol car. If the timing belt breaks, the engine will stop running and will not restart until it is repaired. While it is possible that the original timing belt may last the life of the above engines, for peace-of-mind, the timing belt may be replaced every 90,000 miles. Also, if major engine work is performed, such as a valve job or engine rebuild, the timing belt should be replaced.

In an interference engine, if the timing belt breaks, the valves and the pistons will come into contact. This can cause major engine damage, which is why it is very important for the belt to be changed at the recommended intervals as specified in the Owner's Manual Supplement. If the timing belt breaks, the engine will stop running and will not restart until it is repaired.

If the timing belt breaks due to a defect in materials or workmanship, the repair will be covered under the Powertrain Warranty of 6 years or 70,000 miles.

It is recommended that the timing belt be replaced at the 90,000 mile service, unless it is recommended by your dealer beforehand or if you would like to change it for peace-of-mind.

If you have any further questions or concerns, you can also reach the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Pacific Time.

Sincerely,
Jeff Shimizu
Customer Satisfaction Representative

=============================================

I hope this helps.

steviej
Old 01-29-03, 12:23 AM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The responses from Lexus customer service is....confusing. In the first response, they say the engine in interference, while in the second, they imply that it is a non-interference design.

For the record, the ES300 engine is and has always been non-interference, regardless of which particular model or engine. When the t-belt breaks, there remains enough clearance between the cylinders and the open valves so that there is no contact. So, much to a mechanic's dismay, no worries about spending excessive money replacing bent valves and heads.

Oh, and steviej is absolutely right about the BS myth of once synthetic, always synthetic.

Old 01-29-03, 12:59 PM
lexwiz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen many high mileage engines leak oil after switching to synthetic.
Try it, if it leaks just switch back(you wont hurt the engine)
Old 01-30-03, 08:54 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by meZoom!

Regarding Synthetic Oil, what improvements did you notice? Better mileage?
Old 01-30-03, 09:38 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Nabeel and Steviej, you're both right. The 1MZ-FE was non-inteference from 1994 to 1998. When VVT-i appeared in 1999, it became an interference engine.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...e&pagenumber=2

Check out VVT-i's post, second on 2nd page, right under my question. He's a Lexus tech and knows his stuff.
Old 01-31-03, 08:07 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

improvements with synthetic:
Better lubrication on mechanical parts, better viscosity at low and high temperatures (this winter in MA is a perfect example), You can go a little longer on synthetic between oil changes (3-4k on dino, 4-5k on synthetic), very slight improvement in gas mileage (1-2 mpg), and most of all..........my peace of mind. For some reason I just feel more at ease with synthetic.

steviej
Old 02-01-03, 12:09 AM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by squarehat
Nabeel and Steviej, you're both right. The 1MZ-FE was non-inteference from 1994 to 1998. When VVT-i appeared in 1999, it became an interference engine.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...e&pagenumber=2

Check out VVT-i's post, second on 2nd page, right under my question. He's a Lexus tech and knows his stuff.
I did not realize the engine became interference with the addition of VVT-i in '99. I assumed that all ES300 engines are non-interference. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 02-01-03, 01:55 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by ES3
Regarding Synthetic Oil, what improvements did you notice? Better mileage?

the first time i went all synth, the oil got dirty after just 500-800 miles, by dirty i mean worthy of an oil change. but those first few hundred miles were the best. my whole car was so smooth, acceleration, revving, etc. My ES, til then, was in a bit of a rough spot...rough idling, shaking somewhere between engine and tranny...i can say w/ a good amount of confidence that it went away while driving w/ clean synthetic oil. it cost me $50-something bucks though. IMO, well worth it and i miss my car dearly.