ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New Key

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-13, 01:12 PM
jmsmiff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Key

Greetings all,

We bought my mom an 05 ES330 las year. When we bought it, it only had 1 key and the dealership quoted us $195 for a replacement. Is this about right. We just want to have more than one key in the event anything goes wrong. Thanks
Old 12-23-13, 02:22 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Are you referring to a duplicate remote master key (with the 3 buttons), or a regular key with a chip?

If it's a Master key as described above, and the dealer will cut and program it for you, than it's a good price.

Be aware, that if you only have one master key right now, and it gets lost, you will not be able to get another master key made, as at least one master key is needed to be able to make and program another one.

Phil
Old 12-23-13, 07:08 PM
NavyES300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES 300 Replacement Keys

Originally Posted by jmsmiff
Greetings all,

We bought my mom an 05 ES330 las year. When we bought it, it only had 1 key and the dealership quoted us $195 for a replacement. Is this about right. We just want to have more than one key in the event anything goes wrong. Thanks
Just been through a very lengthy process of getting two master keys cut and programmed, when all we had was a valet key (the grey one). The forums here and elsewhere were helpful in parts so i thought i'd say thanks by letting folks know what I've found out.

Dealers will charge about $300 for each master key (sometimes this is not including cutting and programming)

What PFB says is mostly true. If you don't have at least one master key - getting a master or valet key programmed is a huge pain in the *** and much more costly. We bought our 2002 ES 300 used with one master and one valet key. We (cough...my wife....cough) lost the master...i'll keep what worked short and to the point.
1) i bought two after market master keys (make and model specific) on ebay here http://www.ebay.ca/sch/extra-partss/m.html I'm sure there are other places, but these guys had good ratings. I was a little skeptical, but it was $50 for 2 master keys (uncut and unprogrammed) so figured worth trying it out.
2) I took the uncut master keys to a local locksmith with the maching that will cut the blade on these keys (not every key cutter has the machine to do it). That cost me $60 ($30 per key). This has to be done before the keys can be programmed to the car because programming requires that the key go in the ignition. Once cut, the key will fit in the ignition, but it will not start it.
3) Went to the dealer and was charged $80 to have them program 1 key. If you have 1 master working you can program a second yourself, but without a master you have to go to the dealer
4) Once i had 1 working master i programmed the other master myself (partly 'cause i'm cheep, partly cause i wanted to see if i could). There are two steps to programming i) programming the master key to start the vehicle. ii) programming the buttons on the key to unlock/lock the doors and open the trunk
for part i) i found this page to be very helpful http://www.locksmithcharley.com/toyo...structions.pdf
for part ii) i used http://www.keymam.com/ru/news_view.asp?newsid=58
There are slightly different instructions on other sites, but these worked for me. I had to go through part ii) a few times until i got it to work. The proceedures seem a bit bizzare, but it worked.
All in all i spent $190 plus taxes (plus a ton of hours - so hopefully this helps someone) for two working master keys compared to $600 at the dealer. The keys are aftermarket - no lexus logo. They feel a little cheaper plastic than what i remember the lexus key being. I'll post again if they stop working anytime soon - but so far so good.

One last thing to mention for anyone with an ES300 that doesn't have a master key. If it's a 2002 or newer - adding a master to the ECU can be done - at the dealer. Unfortunately from what i've come across, the ECU on 2001 and older vehicles has to be replaced (about $1500) if you don't have a master.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-24-13, 09:28 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

$195 for a new master key is a great price, that being said you can go online get a master key for like 50-80 bucks and my dealer will cut and program it for $35. Some charge much more, some won't do it at all. I've done this for an es300, es330, lx470, rx300, rx350, and a gs300 twice. I'm just saying this as it's worked for me for numerous models. But you need at least one master key, all the cars I've had have 3 master keys and one valet, I like to have one for me an extra and I give the other to someone else for certain occasions. It's worth having an extra because if you lose all your master keys it's $1.5k+ to replace it.
Old 12-24-13, 09:29 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Just realized I basically repeated what the poster above stated ha
Old 01-04-14, 02:23 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyES300
Just been through a very lengthy process of getting two master keys cut and programmed, when all we had was a valet key (the grey one). The forums here and elsewhere were helpful in parts so i thought i'd say thanks by letting folks know what I've found out.

Dealers will charge about $300 for each master key (sometimes this is not including cutting and programming)

What PFB says is mostly true. If you don't have at least one master key - getting a master or valet key programmed is a huge pain in the *** and much more costly. We bought our 2002 ES 300 used with one master and one valet key. We (cough...my wife....cough) lost the master...i'll keep what worked short and to the point.
1) i bought two after market master keys (make and model specific) on ebay here http://www.ebay.ca/sch/extra-partss/m.html I'm sure there are other places, but these guys had good ratings. I was a little skeptical, but it was $50 for 2 master keys (uncut and unprogrammed) so figured worth trying it out.
2) I took the uncut master keys to a local locksmith with the maching that will cut the blade on these keys (not every key cutter has the machine to do it). That cost me $60 ($30 per key). This has to be done before the keys can be programmed to the car because programming requires that the key go in the ignition. Once cut, the key will fit in the ignition, but it will not start it.
3) Went to the dealer and was charged $80 to have them program 1 key. If you have 1 master working you can program a second yourself, but without a master you have to go to the dealer
4) Once i had 1 working master i programmed the other master myself (partly 'cause i'm cheep, partly cause i wanted to see if i could). There are two steps to programming i) programming the master key to start the vehicle. ii) programming the buttons on the key to unlock/lock the doors and open the trunk
for part i) i found this page to be very helpful http://www.locksmithcharley.com/toyo...structions.pdf
for part ii) i used http://www.keymam.com/ru/news_view.asp?newsid=58
There are slightly different instructions on other sites, but these worked for me. I had to go through part ii) a few times until i got it to work. The proceedures seem a bit bizzare, but it worked.
All in all i spent $190 plus taxes (plus a ton of hours - so hopefully this helps someone) for two working master keys compared to $600 at the dealer. The keys are aftermarket - no lexus logo. They feel a little cheaper plastic than what i remember the lexus key being. I'll post again if they stop working anytime soon - but so far so good.

One last thing to mention for anyone with an ES300 that doesn't have a master key. If it's a 2002 or newer - adding a master to the ECU can be done - at the dealer. Unfortunately from what i've come across, the ECU on 2001 and older vehicles has to be replaced (about $1500) if you don't have a master.

Hope that helps.
I had this issue with a 1999 Lexus RX300. I was told by a lexus dealer that the ECU "Has to be replaced"....I called "BS", I called a few locksmith and they just open the ECU, do a manual reset of the memory for the key, like the car just came out of the factory, then program a new master key from scratch. Locksmith charged something like $100 for a master key and program. This was 5 years ago! Not every locksmith can do this so take out the phone book and start calling each one! Hope this helps others with this issue in the future!
Old 07-19-14, 11:14 AM
Marissa101
Driver School Candidate

Just to clarify - I was thinking about ordering a key from Sewell Lexus already cut to my vin. I lost my last master key today. If I order it, can I program it myself without a master? Or do I have to get it to a dealership (aka tow it!!)
Old 07-19-14, 11:25 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Marissa101
Just to clarify - I was thinking about ordering a key from Sewell Lexus already cut to my vin. I lost my last master key today. If I order it, can I program it myself without a master? Or do I have to get it to a dealership (aka tow it!!)
What year and model is your car?
Old 07-19-14, 12:14 PM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Other than the fact that a valet key will not physically fit into the glove box lock or the rear compartment lock, is there a difference between the valet key and a master key? Remote FOB no withstanding.

Does the car know if the master key or valet key is inserted? If yes then I wonder if the nub at the end of the valet key tips the car off that it's a valet key. Or is the transponder somehow different.

There are a lot of unknowns about Lexus key / security systems and there are guessers galore but when it comes to known fact or documentation, sadly it doesn't exist. I don't think that even Lexus dealers know, thay just know how to make it work.
Old 07-20-14, 01:48 AM
DOPEPICS
Rookie

I have a 01 GS300 and it only came with the Wallet Key...

I'm calling sewell lexus on monday to get a quote...

Confused by whether a master key can be cut off the wallet key and just programmed by the dealer or if I need to let them flash my ECU and program and cut new masters.
Old 07-20-14, 07:56 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Sewell is the best place to get this done........ Give them the VIN along with proof of ownership and they will cut it.