ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

97 ES3 Stock Radio LCD display wacked

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-03, 09:16 PM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 97 ES3 Stock Radio LCD display wacked

My radio LCD display is all F***ed up. I cant even read the numbers anymore. Anyone know of a fix for this, or should I just buy a new radio. I wanted to get a nice head but then I would have to change out the CD Changer in Glove to match the head. I was wondering if there was anyway around this.. maybe some sort of jimmy riged wiring, heh heh.

Another problem I have is my Traction control will cut out me every now and then. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? The light comes on the dash (Trac off) and when I press the button to turn it back on, nothing happens. After I turn the car off and on a few times it goes away.

Last edited by Nixsun79; 02-01-03 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-02-03, 10:46 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't speak to the LCD,
but as for the Trac control.
1. Does the light come on just after a wheel spin, intentional or not. Sometimes when a wheel spins before the trac control gets control of the situation, the heat build up will cause a sensor to shut down. The unit is disabled until the heat drops. Usually the system has to be reset, similar to a computer reboot, turning the car off and on again is the reset.

These types of wheels spins can be as simple as starting out in a puddle or on a little ice.

2. One of the sensors can be out of whack. Have the trouble codes read when the light is ON, so that if it is a wheel faulty sensor, you will know which one. Sometimes reseting the computer (no warning light) will erase the codes from the computer memory and you won't know which code it was. It may be that the wheel bearing that the sensor is tied into is starting to go, thus generating more heat that is wanted.

3. It could be as simple as a loose connection or a connection that is getting wet, thus tripping the system and calling for a Trac Control shut down.
Raise and support the front end of the car with jack stands. Take both front wheels off, look behind the hub for a wire that comes out of the spindle area. This is the TRAC Control connection (don't confuse this with the ABS sensor which should be up by the brake calipers and pads). Unplug each side, inspect both male and female ends. Look for cracks, water, melted plastic, etc. Reconnect them again securely.
Sometimes applying a small amout of dielectric compound (any autopart store) will help keep water out.

hope this helps.

steviej