ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Water pouring out Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-03, 02:50 PM
es3windom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pouring out Problem???

hello everyone..

i still have this problem with my 95 es300 (windom):

my coolant from the water reserve pours out after i have driven the car for about 10-15k ONLY when i have used the aircon...(it's currently summer here in Australia)

but when i drive it with out using the aircon - its all good, even when its 40 degrees outside.. its all OK

Any suggestions???

iv had my radiotor pressure caps replaced, radiotor maintaned and flushed.. major serviced.. etc and im also using an excellent Toyota coolant.
Old 02-02-03, 03:01 PM
Integrator
Driver School Candidate

That water is most likely condensation due to you using the A/C. I wouldn't worry about it unless it is green. (Or toy red.)
Old 02-02-03, 04:04 PM
es3windom
Driver School Candidate

yep its the red coolant .. doh!

i would lose at least half a litre of coolant from the water reserve... and the coolant itself boils up..

im just confused..
Old 02-02-03, 04:42 PM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

Check your coolant hoses, one of them may be leaking.

Last edited by Nixsun79; 02-02-03 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-02-03, 07:47 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. It sounds more like something is blocked and not allowing coolant to flow freely and get cooled in the presence of increased heat from AC condenser. Instead, under AC load, the coolant is boiling over and out of the first possible escape not under tight cap....the coolant overflow tank.

I know you said the radiator was flushed, but flushing won't always remove soild obstuctions and clogged passage ways. It may be time for a new radiatior. It may also be that there is a partial blockage somewhere else in the cooling system. This could be a partially pinched hose, partially clogged thermostat, or dirty water pump blades. Under non-AC use the system can efficiently rid the coolant of heat. = No Boil Over.

Under AC use the coolant will take on more heat (from AC condenser). If coolant is not flowing through the entire system efficiently, complete heat transfer will not occur.....it won't be cooled off fast enough. = BOIL OVER.

Check evey hose, bypass hose, return hose for flow. Sometimes draining the entire system then actual removal of several hoses will reveal if there is any sludge build up. Look especially at the hoses attached to the bottom of the radiator if present. This has been known to happen with "Long Life Coolants" Sludge build up will restrict flow tremendously.

2. The ES has two fans to aid in cooling. One runs under normal use, the second switches on with the AC. It may be that the AC fan is not coming on. Could be a fuse, relay, switch, or fan motor itself.

Check to see if the fuse is OK. On the '02 ES the Electric Cooling fans are fuses #18 and #23. There is a third fuse, but if it goes other systems as well as the electric fans will be effected. You will have to check your manual to find what # and where your fuses are. Both of mine are on the large fuse board in the engine compartment.

Assuming the fuses are not blown.
Run the car in the driveway, Don't put on the AC and wait. Stand in front of the car, make sure one fan eventually comes on, listen for clicks, switches and noises, etc. It may be that the switch is ok but the motor is gone and the fan won't turn on. If the fan never comes on work backwards. Have it tested, if it runs, check or replace the switch or relay.

Now, turn on the AC. The other fan should come on within a few minutes. If it does not, have it checked, and so forth.

If both fans are working....then you probably have a partial blockage somewhere. My guess is in the radiator because it has the most and the smallest passages that are easily clogged.

Let me know what you find.

steviej

oh yeah....just a final thought. Maybe the AC belt is not the right size. When the AC is on, the belt now under load may be slipping, binding, or causing other belts or parts to not work as well (ie water pump). This will add more stress to a system already just shy of the boiling point. I have found this to be the case in several non-OEM belts (mostly GM and Chysler though).
Old 02-08-03, 02:00 PM
es3windom
Driver School Candidate

hello steviej...

thanks for the long advise ... i'l get my mechainc to look at it.. i just hope it's nothing major!

but now im really tight with money.. i just got my car tinted.. and im saving/paying up for my car alarm (which is really important to me right now)

thanks again and i really appreciate it! ill let you know the results when i get it serviced.

Old 02-13-03, 06:27 PM
FranksES
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The ESs here have one cooling fan, powered by the power steering pump. In the engine compartment, there is a small box labled "diagnosis." Start the engine, open the box, and connect pins OP1 to E1. The fan should immediately run much faster. Good luck, and g'day! Frank
Old 02-13-03, 08:08 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

esWindom, how many fans you got in your '95?

FranksES has a '92 with one, I got an '02 with two.
At some point, Lexus added one.

steviej
Old 02-13-03, 08:58 PM
FranksES
10th Gear

Steve, 92-96 had the single hydraulic fan. 97 and up are electric. Frank
Old 02-14-03, 05:28 AM
es3windom
Driver School Candidate

Smile

thanks for the reply guys...

yep its true i have only 1 hydro' fan both for the condenser and radiator...

when ive read stevej's post.. i quickly went and look for the other fan!! winth no luck.. so i refered to my dad's v6 camry vienta's repair book.. and it described that theres only 1 fan.

i have a 95 toyota imported windom (es300) so that makes it one of them with 1 fan...

So Frank.. so is it the same with Lexus es300? to what u have described.. with the 'diagnosis' box in the engine compartment.. is it safe to do it?.. coz i have a jap import...

ill have a look at it first thing in the morning...

thanks again..
Old 02-14-03, 04:47 PM
FranksES
10th Gear

I really don't know if the Windom wires are the same as the ES, but they should be the same as the Vientas. Heres 1 more tip: check if the wires are connected at the power steering pump. I know they get disconnected when camshaft cover gaskets are replaced...Frank