ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New spoiler, what ya think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-03, 08:02 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kreativ,
It is Lexus part number LN7121 ($450.00 US), you will have to specify the color to have them order it in.

It comes with stronger/stiffer hinges for the trunk lid to accomadate the added weight (don't want it crashing on your head) and the wiring for the LED bulbs. This is wired right into the high mount brake light so that both will illuminate when the brake pedal is pressed. Installation will require four holes be drilled into the trunk lid. There is a gasket/pad that is placed under the footing to seal the holes from water.

Takes about 2 hours to install.

steviej
Old 02-12-03, 03:15 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering about how the added weight would affect trunk lid operation, but you've already answered that.
Thanks for the detailed info steviej. Mind if I ask how much installation was?

Here are some links to the official body kit for the ES/Windom in Japan:
http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All.../frame/op.html

http://www.toyota.co.jp/dop-windom/ele.html

It's hard to tell from the pics whether the spoiler is the same, but I'm guessing it is if it has a Lexus part number.
Old 02-12-03, 11:52 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

I don't mind. Installation was $178.00 (2 hours), then don't forget the sales tax.

During the whole procedure, the dealership shop scratched the spoiler. They gave me $100 credit for further service if I would take it. I did, cause as we speak my lex is in the shop to repair the scratches on the left rear quarter from when I was side swiped at a stop light. The body shop said it wasn't going to be any problem at all to redo the spoiler.

Here is a similar link, but in english:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/lexusparts/lexesbacvis.html
click on Lexus in left column, then on the es picture, then on the windom category. The spoiler shown in this web site is not the same.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 02-12-03 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-13-03, 03:24 PM
kreativ
Advanced

LN7121 appears to be a dealer-assigned part number, as Toyota/Lexus part numbers are in xxxxx-xxxxx format. I called a few local Lexus dealers to check, and they say it's aftermarket (or at least not officially carried by Lexus North America). So I'll have to do a little more searching to find the same style, which I think looks great. Thanks for all the info steviej!

Last edited by kreativ; 02-13-03 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-13-03, 07:03 PM
gr8330
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by kreativ
LN7121 appears to be a dealer-assigned part number, as Toyota/Lexus part numbers are in xxxxx-xxxxx format. I called a few local Lexus dealers to check, and they say it's aftermarket (or at least not officially carried by Lexus North America). So I'll have to do a little more searching to find the same style, which I think looks great. Thanks for all the info steviej!
I have the same spoiler on my ES, was already installed when we purchased the car. Trunk lid is heavy so I asked the service dept about new springs and they said not available, so if you find a part number please post it so I can get some stronger springs.

Thanks,
Old 02-13-03, 07:57 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

kreativ,
sorry, but that was the number off of the actual invoice.
It is listed right under "Part Number" Under "Description" it just says Rear Spoiler

Call Lexus of Norwood where I bought it and had it installed:
781-255-2000 and 508-668-5600 and speak to the parts deparment manager (JP I think is his name), he might be able to cross reference the LN7121 to a Toyota/Lexus part number in the xxxxx-xxxxx format. He said they come already painted in actual Lexus paint colors.

I know they have one in millenium silver if that color is what you need.

sorry i couldn't be more help. I will call tomorrow from work and see if I can't get the part number for you. It will save the toll call for both of us. I will PM you when I get it.

steviej
Old 02-14-03, 07:20 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Hey kreativ,

The company that makes the spoiler is "Spoiler Depot" out of Florida. The part number is theirs and they paint the spoilers with Lexus factory paint. LN7121 is their part number.

Your Lexus dealer can order from them. My p art guy said they may not deal directly with public but he never asked them.

Spoiler Depot: 1-800-588-7005

hope this helps.

steviej
Old 02-14-03, 04:06 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Thanks for the info steviej!

This must be their Internet site: http://www.spoilerdepot.com/

They have spoilers for a whole range of Lexus models :
http://www.spoilerdepot.com/Catalog....ake=Lexus&idB=

Part number 7121 on their site corresponds to a Factory Style Non-Lighted Rear Lip Spoiler for the '92-'00 SC, but the one for the '02-'03 ES looks to be the same. Your pics are far better though.

The spoiler painted and shipped UPS 2nd day comes out to almost exactly $450. I'll have to find out whether "All mounting hardware" includes the stronger hinges for the trunk lid.

Thanks again Steviej.
Old 03-05-03, 07:53 PM
kreativ
Advanced

I called SpoilerDepot and the '02/'03 ES spoiler doesn't come with the stronger hinges. They insist I won't need it, but I don't exactly want the trunk lid crashing down on my head on a windy day. Did your Lexus dealer get the stronger hinges from somewhere else? I called my local Lexus dealers, and as they don't carry a spoiler for this car, they know nothing about stronger hinges for the trunk lid of this car either.
Old 03-06-03, 09:32 AM
jdoballer
Driver School Candidate

nice spoiler steve,fits the car perfectly.

D
Old 03-06-03, 07:33 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

kreativ,

The dealer/service writer verbally stated they were putting on stonger hinges when I asked him what was involved. I really didn't look before and after, so whether they did or not, I am not sure now. I should find another 02 ES to compare. The invoice just says "rear spoiler" $$$ and installation $$$. Not much description there.

On the other hand....if they didn't (which is my suspicion now) then don't worry about it. If my hinges are stock, then they are strong enough to hold up the trunk lid in a light wind. I believe the spoiler is fiberglass so it is not that heavy and when you hit the trunk release the trunk itself still pops up free of the catch mechanism.

I say go for it. I have gotten alot of compliments and it makes my ES stand out from the other 02/03s around here.

steviej
Old 03-08-03, 06:13 PM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

i belive i have the same spoiler on my es300, got it put on when i bought it in december, question about tint as i saw it mentioned earlier in this thread, Got this car tinted, and the top back was bubbleing were there was a sunscreen? so the guy said it was common and cut off the tint in that area, is this common?