ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

97 ES3 suspension n00b

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-03, 10:52 PM
Mr_Mollari
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 ES3 suspension n00b

I just took delivery of a '97 ES300, and I am trying to figure out the best path to improved handling. After coming from a moderately modded '93 Audi 100, I really want to get rid of the excessive bouncy-bouncy.

Now, the car is still under a third-party insurer through Lexus (API or something) and I understand the situation with modifications and selective warranty applications, so it's not really that much of a concern.

I was looking at the TRD website, and saw that they have a shock set for 68,000Y (about $550) and a set of lowering springs for about $300. I don't really know much about Lexus model designations, but is a '97 ES300 an MCV20?

It seems that for around $1K I can throw a nice setup of Toyota parts on a 45K mi vehicle, and potentially still have some manner of warranty coverage, at least directly on the parts still through the dealer. Anyone have experience with these specific TRD parts? Can they be ordered through the dealer?

I'm also just curious as to peoples' opinions on what can be done for this vehicle's handling. Pretty soon I am either going to go insane or just fly out of the drivers seat... Thanks!
Old 02-12-03, 12:11 AM
WILB3
Pole Position

Not sure about the TRD parts question as I haven't ordered anything from them. As far as suspension components, many folks here on the Forum have interchanged Camry parts with the ES300 sucessfully. There are lots of threads on springs/struts/damping, etc. Just do a search on "lowering or springs".
Old 02-12-03, 10:25 AM
Luc
Pit Crew

Yes, your '97 ES300 is the MCV20 chassis. You can get any of the '97-'01 Camry suspension parts and install them, don't need to get them directly from Japan. I wouldn't recommend order anything through the dealer since they will have a high mark-up. Check with www.shox.com or www.tirerack.com for pricing. You can even get a thicker rear sway bar to corner faster.
Old 02-12-03, 11:23 AM
Mr_Mollari
Driver School Candidate

Yes, your '97 ES300 is the MCV20 chassis. You can get any of the '97-'01 Camry suspension parts and install them, don't need to get them directly from Japan. I wouldn't recommend order anything through the dealer since they will have a high mark-up. Check with www.shox.com or www.tirerack.com for pricing. You can even get a thicker rear sway bar to corner faster.
Yes, I am also VERY interested in the rear sway. I am going to be getting a Neuspeed one soon for my GTI, so I might as well spend some more cashola and get something for the Lex.

I agree with the mark-up through the dealer, my only consideration was that those parts could be serviced through the dealer under the Toyota part warranty (if anything happened...)

I'll be doing add'l research as well, just always glad to hear different opinions!
Old 02-12-03, 02:01 PM
Luc
Pit Crew

You can always buy just the parts yourself, and then have the dealer do the installation for you, since I'm not sure if dealers could order non-OEM parts through their parts department. The struts available for your Lexus are: Tokico, KYB, and TRD. The TRD is made by Bilstein, and has been discontinued, but you may still find a used set lurking around. For springs, there are: Eibach, H&R, Tein, Intrax, Sprint, and Drop Zone. I'd stick with the former 3 mentioned, though Tein doesn't have the product out yet. The rear sway bar are sold by: TRD and Whiteline. Eibach makes it for the TRD, and offers 2 settings: street and track, with an effectively diameter of 19mm and 21mm, respectively. Whiteline is non-adjustable with somewhere in between the two settings of TRD. For any TRD products, search around on-line Toyota dealers and ask for quotes, if their product database doesn't show any prices.
Old 02-14-03, 09:09 AM
Mr_Mollari
Driver School Candidate

You can always buy just the parts yourself, and then have the dealer do the installation for you, since I'm not sure if dealers could order non-OEM parts through their parts department. The struts available for your Lexus are: Tokico, KYB, and TRD. The TRD is made by Bilstein, and has been discontinued, but you may still find a used set lurking around. For springs, there are: Eibach, H&R, Tein, Intrax, Sprint, and Drop Zone. I'd stick with the former 3 mentioned, though Tein doesn't have the product out yet. The rear sway bar are sold by: TRD and Whiteline. Eibach makes it for the TRD, and offers 2 settings: street and track, with an effectively diameter of 19mm and 21mm, respectively. Whiteline is non-adjustable with somewhere in between the two settings of TRD. For any TRD products, search around on-line Toyota dealers and ask for quotes, if their product database doesn't show any prices.

Thanks for the extensive reply, a lot of good info in there.

I'll do some research over the next few weeks, see what I can put together as a nice suspension package/solution. Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-19-03, 03:34 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

If you want the optimal adjustable suspension. Go with the JIC Coilover system either SF1 or FLT-A2 for your MCV20.