ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

where are the modded 4th gens?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-14, 02:08 PM
285exp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by haitianb0i
@Purechaos wrong car? Im guessing you never seen this link before......?
This thread has plenty of pictures of modded 4th gen, so im confused on how it can be wrong car, IM JUST SAYING :-/
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...tml?styleid=14
You wondered where all the modded 4th gens are, then you show us a thread with modded 4th gens in it. Looks like you answered your own question. And I don't see any in there that would make me think it's a good idea.

The main problem with modding them is that you're just throwing money down a rat hole. It doesn't make them drive better or more reliable, and it doesn't make them more valuable, the more modding you do the less they're worth to anybody but you, the only possible exception being sound and/or navigation systems.

If you just want something distinctive, buy a yellow Aztek and put a bunch of Hello Kitty stickers on it.
Old 05-12-14, 03:17 PM
haitianb0i
Rookie

I dont think any of those pictures belonged to anybody on this forum so....... can u please explain on how I answered my own question?, and I seen a couple in there that were actually good, and how old are you btw?
Old 05-12-14, 03:25 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I dont think any of those pictures belonged to anybody on this forum so....... can u please explain on how I answered my own question?, and I seen a couple in there that were actually good, and how old are you btw?
Well your question was "where are the modded 4th gens" you then post a link showing numerous (might I add disgusting looking) modded 4th generation ES'.

If that doesn't answer your question, than I don't know what will.
Old 05-12-14, 03:58 PM
haitianb0i
Rookie

Yea where are they? None of those are forum members, those were pictures found online that a member posted, I didnt think I had to further explain myself but I see some cant use common sence
Old 05-12-14, 04:00 PM
haitianb0i
Rookie

I will be posting a build thread coming soon!!, all the haters are gladly welcome to put in there opinions
Old 05-12-14, 05:11 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts

Seems like the people that drive the 4th gen are the older generation, im prob the youngest one the forum with a 4th gen
I was 23 when I bought my 4ES.

I disagree, with your conclusion. While most of my friends went for harsher riding Acura TL / Accord / VW GTI's as their pick for the first few cars, I chose to go more classy and get something more refined, smooth, powerful and practical for a highway commute.

I think there has been a significant shift in what young people drive from the basic econo-box ricers to more luxurious cars.

Maybe a discussion for a poll thread, but as an example, Lexus RX drivers (at least those on this board) aren't as old as you think:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-category.html
Old 05-12-14, 05:45 PM
haitianb0i
Rookie

I juss turned 23 in march what Im saying is young people are Into modding cars while the older ones are not, and I feel on the forum the people who have the 4th gen are older and its usually the older people bashing the young people for modding a luxury car
Old 05-12-14, 05:56 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am honestly just curious, not trying to be bash you, but what made you choose the 4ES anyways? When I first got my license at 16 I wanted to mod (or rice) out a car badly, but I couldn't afford more than a 1k beater corolla.

Now that I'm a little older I still want to mod out a car but it just costs way too much to do it to the lexus. Thus I bought a 04 celica gt-s with a blown head gasket to fix up and mod. So far I've fixed the blown head gasket, but am currently sourcing the TRD body kit. And honestly, its a ton cheaper for the celica. Just curious why you chose a potentially more expensive base to work with rather than something a little cheaper.
Old 05-12-14, 06:09 PM
haitianb0i
Rookie

It has potential and it seems like nobody here wants to try it, and I've been looking at the parts and they dont seem expensive to me, the only thing that is really expensive is just the coilovers
Old 05-12-14, 06:11 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by PuReChaos
When I first got my license at 16 I wanted to mod (or rice) out a car badly, but I couldn't afford more than a 1k beater corolla.

Now that I'm a little older I still want to mod out a car but it just costs way too much to do it to the lexus.
Wow. I'm in the same exact boat as you.
I remember as a teenager I'd browse endlessly bodykits.com to see what I could do to my first car. Those were the days when 'tegra's with 5 or 10 spoke 17" rims, clear "euro" tail lights and fart can exhausts were in! I briefly considered a Celica as my first car before giving up on it as impractical after a quick test-drive, and went with a Camry instead.

Now that I've matured, I just can't justify the cost (even if I could afford it). Instead, I bought the Solara and am learning to work on it mechanically. Solara TRD body kit still too much to justify though

At the most, I think the 4ES is a good candidate for a decent set of rims. That would change the look significantly enough to show you've customized it, but not ruin the clean luxurious look of the car.
Old 05-12-14, 06:25 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Wow. I'm in the same exact boat as you.
I remember as a teenager I'd browse endlessly bodykits.com to see what I could do to my first car. Those were the days when 'tegra's with 5 or 10 spoke 17" rims, clear "euro" tail lights and fart can exhausts were in! I briefly considered a Celica as my first car before giving up on it as impractical after a quick test-drive, and went with a Camry instead.
I still want a integra gsr or a 240sx haha. But both of those are hard to come by locally and even more so I'd pay a premium for clean title and stock. Both which are nearly impossible to find in California. As was mentioned earlier I'd pay the premium because a lot of people do the mods themselves and botch things up. However, part of me thinks I need to grow up and save up for other things.

Originally Posted by speedkar9
At the most, I think the 4ES is a good candidate for a decent set of rims. That would change the look significantly enough to show you've customized it, but not ruin the clean luxurious look of the car.
Couldn't agree more. I can't see myself changing mine, but I have seen some pretty clean looking 5 spoke rims that I think would suit the ES well.
Old 05-12-14, 10:09 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

At 23 your far from the youngest, at 16 I had my es300 now at 20 I have the gs and the es330. No one is saying you can't modify an es330, but people are saying you shouldn't....unless you have the money do to it and realIze how little aftermarket support there is for these cars. To be honest the nicest 4th gens on the forums are the ones that people make subtle changes to like a newer set of OEM wheels, maybe window tint,or are just really clean, and don't call people haters, you aren't some 13 year old kid on Facebook.
Old 05-13-14, 07:48 AM
285exp
Pole Position

I juss turned 23 in march what Im saying is young people are Into modding cars while the older ones are not, and I feel on the forum the people who have the 4th gen are older and its usually the older people bashing the young people for modding a luxury car
It may be because older people know more than you do about the pros and cons of modifying a luxury car. The best things you can do if you own it already is to make sure all of the services and maintenance is done, the car is mechanically in good condition, and you keep the car cosmetically in good shape. Young people tend to have less disposable income than old geezers, and the money you throw into dubious looking body kits, engine mods that may marginally increase power (or not), or changes to the suspension and/or wheels and tires, will be money that you do not have available for other, more important, things.

That said, it's your money, I assume. Throw it away however you want, I'm sure some other 23 year old guys will be impressed.
Old 05-16-14, 05:02 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 36 and I for one am not into modding the looks so much, but modding the engine for me is a must. I love a good stock looking sleeper. When I was 23 I had a 93 Toyota Paseo. The thing could barely scrape passed 80, but after a little tweaking of the stock parts that were already on the engine and a short ram intake added, I got it to do 151 according to the math because the speedometer stopped at 110, and that was redlining 5th gear. If it had more gear, it would have gone faster. My favorite thing to do with it was to run down all of the yuppies on the highway in there Porsch boxters and BMW's. I have done some little stuff to my 98 ES and it would smoke my Paseo but I would not want to take it passed 100. There is some crazy bastard on Youtube doing 160 in a stock 98 ES but I would not recommend it, it's just not the most stable car at that speed. My Paseo was shaped like a wedge so it felt great at 150. The es seems to float too much for that kind of speed. The bottom line... the es is not a car to "Rice out" but if you got the money and or know how to make it fast, go for it. There is nothing like sitting at a red light, having some punk in a fart can Honda with a bunch of fiberglass stuck to it wanting to race you only to get smoked by your "Old man car". That always seems to put a smile on my face. For now, stick to wheels and a stereo or something and be happy.
Old 05-21-14, 06:40 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

"Haters!" I love it.

Hey, dude, waste your money and your time. They are yours to waste.

Just don't expect that many folks will salute the end product. If it was a good idea. it would have been done before, in spades.

Why do you need anyone's approval? If they laugh at your car, they laugh.

Quick Reply: where are the modded 4th gens?