ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Aftermarket Receiver, Factory Everything Else

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-14, 05:58 PM
rob97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Receiver, Factory Everything Else

Hi Internet! Having some difficulties and I could use your assistance. Been combing over old threads here for the past week but I wanted to get some clarification before I go any further with an installation.

I have a 1997 ES300 with factory everything and I'd like to install an aftermarket receiver (Pioneer AVH-4000NEX). I purchased the Metra 70-8112 Radio Wiring Harness, Metra 95-8155 Double DIN Installation Kit, and some butt () connectors.

I've figured out how to take apart the dash, remove the air vents and the factory radio, and get to the wires and harnesses on the inside.

Here's where I'm stuck.

1. The aftermarket receiver has a LOT of wires that the Metra harness lacks! I don't know what to do with those.

2. There are a LOT (4) of harnesses connected to the factory radio, and there's apprently only one harness (aftermarket Pioneer harness connected to the Metra harness) going back in there!

3. I have no idea what to do with the RCA cables attached to the Pioneer receiver and the Metra harness.

4. I have no idea how to connect the light green parking break Pioneer wire.

I've been reading around and I'm a little concerned at my lack of understanding about amplifier integration and amplifier bypassing and the differences between the two: one sounds really easy and exactly what I intended to do by plugging-and-playing my way through this, and the other sounds like I'll be making a trip to an audio shop.

Thank you for reading and thanks for your time guys!

To summarize what I think I'm supposed to do:
1. Connect all of the wires (solder, butt connector, etc.) on the Metra harness to the Pioneer harness
2. Cap the unused speaker wires, because I'm using my existing amplifier and I'm not trying to bypass it so they're unnecessary
3. RCA cables ???
4. Plug the Pioneer harness into the Pioneer and plug the Metra into the "A" port in the fourth picture I linked
5. Splice parking break wire once I find it
6. Install iPod, etc., accessories
7. Put everything together and turn the car on and hope it works

edit: got it working last night!

Last edited by rob97; 06-11-14 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-11-14, 09:25 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any high pitch hum?
Old 06-14-14, 10:36 AM
rob97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, there is. I don't notice it much once the music starts up, but when the car is quiet it's rather audible. I think I need a ground loop isolator, according to Google searches. Hasn't bothered me enough to mess with until I finish up the backup camera install.
Old 07-11-14, 05:29 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bypassed all of the channels in the amp except for the sub woofer and the hum is gone and I have a ton more power.