ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2002 lexus es300 headlight problems please help me!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-14, 02:42 PM
02es300lex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2002 lexus es300 headlight problems please help me!!

i have a 2002 lexus es300. I am having problem with my headlight. I have a hid headlight. Ok my headlight went out i thought i could just replace the lightbuld and ill be okay no. I was told it was the ballast ok i replace that work for a week then went out. Now i was told my headlight was loose. Okay i replace that now a week after getting all this done my light now comes on and goes off when it wants. I have spent over 500 on this one part of my car and it still not working someone please help me. Im a young female i just feel like these mechanic shops just take advantage of women and i dont have any more money to waste
Old 10-14-14, 03:32 PM
kailuaguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like you have wires that are shorted, meaning the wires going to the headlight are chafed and the exposed wires sometimes touch a metallic part of the car and the electricity goes to the body of the car instead of the headlight, causing the intermittent operation of the lights.

So sad that some people take advantage of others.
Old 10-14-14, 04:34 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

You really should go back to the mechanic that did the work, and ask him to diagnose and resolve the problem for free. Hope you still have the parts that he replaced.

Although it can be an electrical wiring problem, more likely it's either the ballast or the bulb that he (allegedly) replaced.

What he should be doing now, is interchange the bulb from the left side to the right side, If the problem now occurs on the previously good side than its the bulb.

If not, than now switch the ballast around. If now the problem occurs on the good side, than its the ballast.

If the problem remains on the bad side, than you have an electrical problem, that should not be hard to diagnose nor repair. In that case, you should get back the money that you paid for those two components, and probably a credit for the previous labor as well.

Let us know how this was resolved, so others on this forum can benefit.

Good Luck

Phil
Old 10-15-14, 04:29 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts

Also have the mechanic clean the contacts on the bulb and ballast with electrical contact cleaner (or a pencil eraser). Sometimes it can become corroded or full of crap and cause intermittent operation.