ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-03 | 06:33 PM
snboarder8
Driver

Default Need Help

hello, my friend just bought my a pair of LED windshield washer nozzle lights. it says on the package "easy-two wire installation!" but that's about it. no other instructions besides connect the wire to the parking lights. it come with a switch, i'm assuming that's to manually control the lights, but i have no clue how to hook it all up. i know how to remove my headlamp assembly and where the parking/blinker light is, but how do i hook the wires up to it? also, i would like to use the switch to turn them on and off. so how would i do this? i need a power source to connect to the switch correct? them need to connect the wires to the switch? how do i does this? as you can tell i'm pretty much a rookie, but i feel capable to do this if i have some help. here are some pics of what i'm working with:

Here are the nozzles with their wires, positive and negative for each nozzle, and the switch
Attached Thumbnails Need Help-pict0050.jpg  
Old 03-08-03 | 06:35 PM
snboarder8
Driver

Here's the back of the switch, it's a little blurry sorry. Basically, there are two hooks on the back, and on the front there is a switch, circle on top, vertical line on the other end of the switch, i'm assuming the circle is the on side and the slash is the off
Attached Thumbnails Need Help-pict0052.jpg  
Old 03-08-03 | 06:37 PM
snboarder8
Driver

i am thinking i need to connect the two washers together, the connect them to the switch, then bring a power source to the switch as well. but i don't know where to get the power from, and how to bring that from the engine compartment to the interior of the car because of the fire wall. anyone have any ideas? i would really appreciate it. if not, i guess i'm going to have to return these...
Old 03-09-03 | 12:01 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

the lights are led's
(light emitting diode)
they only can be hooked up one way( in regards to the wiring) ,if you do it backwards it just won't turn on
check to see if local cops are going to harass and pull you over to give you a ticket first as a thought
as many riced out civics and other cars have them so cops like to pick on those cars with extra lights

you basicall want to do this the simplest way which is ground each black ground wire to the body of the car if the hood has a good ground use it as close as possible to them
for the positive power connection use power from the fuse block if possible( if you use a fuse from the radio then it will shut it off when the key is removed as well)
and then run it to the switch then have a wire from the switch leaveby going through a grommet in the fire wall and connect it to the nipples

they use very little power as they are LED's
to me look awful but hey it is your car and you paid for it so i have no say
i hope this helps to wiring them up
Old 03-09-03 | 09:59 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

ok, i have those on my car right now. nozzle lights. anyway, i used to use them a lot, now i don't anymore. as a matter of fact, i am about to throw them away when i get my car back. but here's how mine are wired.

i used 12 gauge wire for all this.

-red wire from positive side battery to power side of switch. i placed a fuse holder between these two so that if a fuse was blown, it would be that one.

-i ran another wire from the switch back through the firewall back into the engine bay. this one is my power wire. whenever i want to hook anything to this switch, i can hook it to this power wire which is red. (i.e. angel eyes, flourescent lights, nozzle lights)

-my switch lights up when it is turned on so i have a ground wire on that as well. your switch will only have 2 prongs, one that leads to the battery, and one that you are going to use to power your lights.

-each nozzle light has 2 wires, a red and black. i connected the reds together, and connected the blacks together. i connected the 2 reds to the power wire coming from my switch. the 2 blacks, i grounded to someplace in the engine bay (a bolt or something)

-then the switch turns on the lights, and your line overheats for some reason (it shouldnt) you will have a fuse installed into your setup so you wont hurt your car.

this is just how i did this, there are other ways to do it. hope that helps
Old 03-09-03 | 10:03 AM
snboarder8
Driver

thanx a lot, that explanation really helped. i have a couple more questions if you don't mind. how did you get through the firewall and where did you go through it? also, what type of fuse should i buy, do you know the name of it? i don't think i have 12 gauge wire, but i have a lot of 16 gauge, will that work?

Last edited by snboarder8; 03-09-03 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-09-03 | 10:42 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

i guess 16 guage will work, not really sure, just went with 12 cause... well i dont know why i went with 12. but i went through the firewall at the place where the steering stuff goes through. there is a black rubber seal there and you can see through it. just slip your wires through there with the rest of them. its on the drivers side, get on the floor and look up along the wall while your hood is open, you should see it, hard to miss. you dont really need a specific fuse. just buy some type of "fuse holder" it will have 1 fuse in it already. probably costs like 3 dollars. just wire it in between the battery and the switch. 15 or 20 amp fuse is enough protection
Old 03-09-03 | 11:16 AM
snboarder8
Driver

thanx again, you really know your stuff. i can't seem to find the spot where the wires go through but i guess i have to keep looking. can't crawl under the car so i just looked down from the top, couldn't seem anything except for wires. i tried looking from the inside where the steering column and pedals are, does it come through around there? i'm sorry for all the questions, i'm a rookie
Old 03-09-03 | 12:02 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

i can't look in my car right now to be sure, since it is being fixed after that wreck. but along in the drivers side, the firewall. look up high along the firewall, you should see a spot where lots of wires and tubes go through. im pretty sure this is where your power steering is. if you look down from your engine, its right behind the steering wheel, you will see the tubes and wires coming through there. if you dont see any light coming through, just feed the wire from inside the car, out into the engine bay. then when you look in the engine bay you should see the wire that you just pushed through.

so yes, it does come through around the steering column and pedals
Old 03-09-03 | 01:02 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

yah 16 gauge will work fine hell 22 will also as they are led's don't use any power even a 1 amp fuse can work well
the grommet you have to peirce is behind the brake pedal above it
so it sounds like you are on the right track to finding it

later
Old 03-09-03 | 01:12 PM
snboarder8
Driver

ya, i found a couple places to poke a hole through and feed in the wires. the rubber surround for the steering column was what i was thinking. i didn't notice anything around the brake pedal, but i'll look again. oh, do i need a special connector to connect the wire to the battery?
Old 03-09-03 | 01:50 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

just an "O" ring connector, ask your local auto parts store for the connectors to the battery. you use a ratchet to take off the nut, put your connector on there and put the nut back on. or you could do it the not so safe way, and just wrap the wire around the bolt on there.

oh yeah, one thing. the first time i did this, i spent about 20$ on parts and then took a long time to do it and get it right (blowing a fuse the first time). in reality i could have taken it to one of the car places around here and paid them about $15 to do it for me....
Old 03-13-03 | 03:14 PM
snboarder8
Driver

alright, i got everything i need. got busy with some other stuff so that's why i haven't replied again. i was checking out the original washer nozzles and they seem to be hidden up inside the hood. how do i take them off? here is a collection of pics, am i heading in the right direction? thanx
Attached Thumbnails Need Help-car0004.jpg