ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

So who's got the fastest ES's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-03, 08:21 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb 92-93, 94-96 are two different engines

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zeta
. the '95 also uses a different engine than the '97 - '01. the '92-'96 uses a 185hp/195tq engine whilte the '97-'01 uses a 200hp/210tq(?) engine.

Just a slight correction. There were two engines used in the 1992-1996 body style. The 1992-1993 cars (VCV10 designation) used the 3VZ-FE, a cast iron block engine with the 185HP/195TQ.
1994-1996 cars used the earliest version of the 1MZ-FE, the aluminum block engine used from 1994-2003 (with updates in 1997 (200HP) and 1999 (210HP). The 1MZ-FE cars (MCV10 designation) had 188HP/203TQ. I don't know if that's good for a tenth of a second or what.
Old 03-23-03, 03:27 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not that this makes mine the fastest but just faster than a celica gts but could have been a really bad driver i never looked back to see if it was shifting as a manual tranny which would make sense as the gts is pretty fast
other killls have been
another stock 96 es300
2001 lincon LS
97 acura integra
and did an ok job of following some friends driving police cruisers chevy caprice classics
we were racing to the strip club

most starts done at above the 20km mark for starting as i would be only able to pass a school bus from a dead stop
also usually on the highway
i have gottten the car up to the 195km mark but the car just didn't feel stable enough to proceed when i tested the brakes so i decided to slow down asap slowly before i had to immediatly still should have been able to get to 215 atleast i might try it again now that i have my brembo's

later
Old 03-23-03, 12:14 PM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Lexboi99
I was speaking more about a 97-01 ES300 so yes a older Lexus may lose those battles against a Durango and Odessey but don't assume just because i'm new to the forum that i know nothing about a Lexus, Odessey, or Durango.
actually most of my post was talking about how Xenon has a '95 ES, so it has the weaker engine, and you were asking if he were driving correctly. you never bothered to check his information before you asked if he was doing something wrong (as shown below)

O btw a 99 Lexus ES300 (the year i plan on buying) has a 0-60 of 7.9 o and for whoever said they were beaten by a Durango and Odyessy i dunno what ur doin wrong cause both of those are in the 9.0 seconds 0-60 and up range....

i didn't say you didn't know anything about the ES, it's just that you haven't been in an ES for 10 years of your life. i may be only 16, but i've been in the ES, and played around with my ES for quite a long time.

i just meant that people can know about the car, and its specifications, etc., but how much do you really know compared to someone who's been driving and working on the same car for a few years.

kevin
Old 03-23-03, 03:12 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice comeback Kevin...lol!

Let me drop some background. The figures you got, lexboi99, are most likely from "test" conditions. Things are very different and dependent upon many other factors out in what we call the "real" world.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the ES is a snail. It is a very competent car. But, like I and many others have said, you won't have many opportunites to blow the doors off every car you see.

ROUND 1: Durango 5.9
The Durango I was beat by flat out DESTROYED me (2-3 car lengths lead from 0 to about 55 mph). The driver was "youngish" and he had his system bumpin'. At the stoplight, he looked over at me, and noticed my system was bumpin' too. After that, we didn't make any contact with one another, we both knew that when the light turned green...WE'D KICK IT!!!

The race was on, and his Durango's tires were squeallllllin' up to 40mph.....his torquey 5.9L V8 was roaring and he was gone. He had a 4 car length lead on me when I finally hit 70mph, he must have been around 80, until he finally let off the gas (SPEED LIMIT 35 ).

At the next stop light, he gave me a thumbs up, and said, "I LOVE THOSE OLD ES300s, the're PIMP, they are quicker than I thought, I thought I'd fade you out by like 10 car lengths". He affirmed his Durango was 100% stock, it was his mommy's.

ROUND 2 ODDY:

This was interesting. I pulled up to a stoplight near my school. Alongside, I noticed a new, silver Oddy, blastin' rap. It was actually a chick from my school driving her mom's van. She started screaming, "let's race, let's race!". She just wanted to mess around and didn't care who won or not, she prolly thought I'd beat her if anything since she was driving a minivan.

I thought it'd be fun, but then something suddenly kicked in to me....my mom's Sienna is quick....this 240 hp Oddy is even quicker.....this could be a huge embarassment...

Light turns green....we're off!

The end result: She pulled out 1- 2 car lengths ahead of me up to 45 mph.

I could never show my face to her again

lexboi99--Since you doubted, the evidence is provided above. Of course I have raced other cars, but this is the scenario we're talking about, so I don't want to get into discussion on this topic any further.

Hopefully you can get your new ES soon, good luck!

Last edited by XenonES3; 03-23-03 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-23-03, 07:27 PM
Lexboi99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok just for the record i wasn't at first aware that ur ES300 was the older generation so your 0-60 probably is below that of a new Oddessey and Durango. However as for a newer ES300 (98-01) the 0-60 yes are produced in certain conditions when tested in magazines however the time differences are there because they are a means of comparison therefore when a Odessey get a 9 second 0-60 time or whatever it may be and a Lexus gets 7.9 they were both tested in similar conditions and teh means of testing then show that the Lexus is significantly faster. The reason for publishing 0-60 times at all is to "compare apples to apples" they know that the conditions won't always be that way but no matter what the conditions the Lexus would always have the edge in such a comparison. Yours probably lost becuase i didn't realize the year of your Lexus. no hard feelings tho Trust me i've raced things in my POS Saab and i've only lost to a Grand Am GT but i expected to lose to that cause my car is sloooow (non-turbo Saab) i can't wait to drive a Lex
Old 03-23-03, 09:27 PM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i really wasn't trying to say you were wrong or anythin, lexboi, it was just that you didn't bother to check that Xenon's ES was a 95 and carried the 188-hp engine rather than the newer 200-hp or 210-hp VVT-i engines. the newer engines, i could understand matching if not beating becasue of weight, but our old gen ES's aren't exactly the lightest or the quickest cars, but they can do quite enough for such an old car. me, being a 16-year-old, driving a '93 ES is plenty for me. the power is more than enough. it helps me learn to be soft on the gas, since my bro (started with a civic) came out pushing pretty hard on the higher power cars.

didn't mean anythin against ya, lexboi, it was just that you were using magazine/test driver specs rather than taking in the fact that other conditions affect our own times as well.
i personally don't think my ES could hit 0-60 in 9 seconds... not sure what's up with the engine, but it seems a bit laggier than it used to be. (not a recent development)

but sorry if i made a bad impression, lexboi. and good luck on the ES search. i would personally go for a '00 or '01 because of the VVT-i engine and the nice red/clear/red tails. the '97-'99 have the amber on the two sides of the clear. doesn't look as clean to me. but whatever you choose, just make sure it's a Lex.

kevin

Last edited by zexen; 03-23-03 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-24-03, 06:14 AM
Lexboi99
Driver School Candidate

No hard feelings Zeta yea i kinda would like a 00 for the clear tail lights but i'll see what i can do money wise.....as far as the VVT-I engine the 99 has it too....the engine was 200HP up to 98 then in 99 they put it up to 210 and added the VVT-I and changed the tranny ratios along with some other small changes.....we'll see what happens.....but i'll be happy to own a Lexus
Old 03-24-03, 10:07 AM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aight, it's awesome, things are cool

lexboi99, try for an 00 like Kevin said, but if not, the 99 should do. The 99 has a plus side because www.autodynamic.com sells sharp looking clear corners for it. I've seen a 97-99 ES with 00-01 tails, so I'm sure it would be possible to do this swap somehow.

Once again, Good luck in your search!
Old 03-30-03, 08:20 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

'93 Intake, rest stock -auto

Low 8's if you nail it, mid 8's on average.
Just as fast to '60 as my '93 auto Corolla was, a second slower than my '99 man Protege was with an intake and exhaust.

In general... If you're sneaky you can take a V8 normal truck or any other stock v6 through highway speeds(70-140). Can't touch anything else 0-60 unless the driver *really* hasn't got a clue, is not aggressive enough, or the "engine gnomes" magically give you more power than you had before...

Was on my way from Birmingham-Gadsten Alabama and was racing a friend in his new F150. He had acceleration, but I apparantly was driving smarter... So long as I was on the gas before he was <wink> I could pull away some. If it was even, he had me 0-90. With his tailgate ddown he could do 115. I could simply stay on the gas to the 140 gov...

Might I say after nearly a month with the car, I'm still scared even on the interstate, of taking turns with any speed. Going from the very stiff Protege (with an upgraded rear sway bar) with a lot of feedback, and no body roll even at it's limit... This Lexus is just 100% disconnected, and that's what roll it's suppose to fit...

It's a Lexus, a style car... Not built for racing. I have great respect for those that can, mine however dose not fair well, as I assume the majorities here dosen't either, against real competition. (still a grat looking, sporty car)

Last edited by Toysrme; 03-30-03 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-31-03, 11:10 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I beat my friend in a Topaz last night from a stop.

Toysrme, welcome , suspension work and plus size wheels do wonders for the feel of the ES at higher speeds. Mine feels much more solid and planted at high speeds than it did stock.
Old 03-31-03, 01:33 PM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Toysrme
'93 Intake, rest stock -auto

Low 8's if you nail it, mid 8's on average.
Just as fast to '60 as my '93 auto Corolla was, a second slower than my '99 man Protege was with an intake and exhaust.

Say What?

Welcome though!

Xenon, you got beat by an Oddy? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Just kidding of course!