ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Big drop in gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-15, 05:44 PM
hooterbif
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big drop in gas mileage

My gas mileage just dropped from 24 to 19 MPG (city driving). This happened just after I had a bit of work done: 1) replaced driver front half axle, and 2) replaced flex pipe and cat. Before the repair, the flex pipes had leaks, leading to a loud exhaust.

I would have thought that, if anything, my MPG would have gone up, given the better compression after the flex/cat was fixed. The ABS light is on, but I assume that has nothing to do with MPG.

There is also a new smell (like burnt oil) that comes into the passenger cabin now, and it hasn't gone away even a few weeks after the repair. The oil looks fine.

Anybody have ideas?
Old 02-01-15, 05:58 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by hooterbif
My gas mileage just dropped from 24 to 19 MPG (city driving). This happened just after I had a bit of work done: 1) replaced driver front half axle, and 2) replaced flex pipe and cat. Before the repair, the flex pipes had leaks, leading to a loud exhaust.

I would have thought that, if anything, my MPG would have gone up, given the better compression after the flex/cat was fixed. The ABS light is on, but I assume that has nothing to do with MPG.

There is also a new smell (like burnt oil) that comes into the passenger cabin now, and it hasn't gone away even a few weeks after the repair. The oil looks fine.

Anybody have ideas?
Have you returned to the shop that performed this "maintenance". They must have done something wrong.
Old 02-01-15, 07:12 PM
hooterbif
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Have you returned to the shop that performed this "maintenance". They must have done something wrong.
Yes, but the mechanic who knows best how to diagnose the ABS error was not in, so I need to go back. I wonder if they did not do something properly in installing the half axle.
Old 02-02-15, 04:36 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

You probably have a dragging/ seized caliper that's triggering the ABS light to come on and causing the burning smell of brake pads and rotors.
Old 02-02-15, 05:43 PM
hooterbif
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by speedkar9
You probably have a dragging/ seized caliper that's triggering the ABS light to come on and causing the burning smell of brake pads and rotors.
Thank you for this tip. Based on what I was reading on some other threads, I had started to suspect something involving those parts. I'll get this looked at in the next few days.
Old 02-02-15, 06:07 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkar9
... gee I wonder if the 'new guy' beat the front caliper with a hammer to get the piston to move back so they could refit it.
Old 02-03-15, 12:41 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Put the car in Neutral on a flat surface, and push it both forward and backward, See if it rolls freely.
Old 02-04-15, 09:51 AM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Winter fuel blends can cause bad mpg.
Old 02-04-15, 09:54 AM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

After driving a dragging brake will cause the wheel to heat up. Being careful not to burn your hand, feel each wheel. A wheel that is exceptionally hot could indicate a dragging brake.
Old 02-07-15, 01:57 PM
hooterbif
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the tips. I checked if the rotor was hot but found that it was about as warm as all the other rotors. Also, I did not detect much more resistance when pushing the car in neutral as before I had the work done.

So, I took the car back to the mechanic. He tells me that the ABS error code is 32, and that I need to buy a new sensor (~$300). I asked him if this problem is related to the work he did, and he said that he and his supervisor say that an ABS sensor can randomly go out at any time and just because the error began at exactly the same instant that they did work on the associated axle does not mean anything really. So, I will have to pay the full charge.

Does this sound right?

(I wish I had this mechanic:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...995-es300.html)
Old 02-07-15, 02:54 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

If the ABS code came on immediately after you picked up the car from the mechanic, than chances are that they tore the ABS sensor wire while performing the other repairs.

If it happened after, it could be a coincidence. Be aware however that those sensors could be cleaned, and may start functioning again.

In terms of the car not rolling as freely as before, obviously you must investigate and find the reason.

Phil
Old 02-07-15, 03:03 PM
hooterbif
Driver School Candidate

Thanks PFB.

I am going to take a closer look at the sensor and wiring myself to see if the wire got broken or if there is grease/gunk on the sensor.

(I was actually saying the car DOES appear to be rolling just as freely as before, so the loss in gas mileage is still a mystery)
Old 02-07-15, 03:42 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hooterbif
Thanks PFB.

I am going to take a closer look at the sensor and wiring myself to see if the wire got broken or if there is grease/gunk on the sensor.

(I was actually saying the car DOES appear to be rolling just as freely as before, so the loss in gas mileage is still a mystery)
I guess i misread your response. If you are not having any rolling resistance, than I doubt that your lower fuel milage is caused by anything the mechanic did. Fuel milage is tricky to measure because of all the numerous and variable external parameters at play when doing it. It's mandatory to do it over at least 2-3 tankfulls, and probably more, before coming to a conclusion.

In reference o your ABS trouble code, I had the exact same issue with an old 1994 Toyota Camry my mom had. Mechanic worked on the axel, and as soon as the car came down off the lift, the ABS light came on.

The code indicated a problem with the ABS sensor on the wheel that the mechanic worked on.

I pointed it out to him prior to leaving the garage, so he lifted the car again and discovered that the ABS sensor wire was mangled and torn.

Took him 20 minutes to fx it. A new ABS sensor was not needed.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 02-07-15 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-08-15, 05:21 AM
285exp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 19 mpg city is not normal

So if you're getting that now, you're getting better mileage than you should expect. True city driving should be 16-18 mpg, there's no way you can get 24 mpg city.