ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

My dilemma. Your opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-15 | 03:26 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Default My dilemma. Your opinions please.

So my wife switched jobs about 3 months ago, and now literally works across the street. She doesn't need her car for work anymore. ( A 2003 Saturn). I on the other hand own a 2001 Leus es300 in prestiine condition.

So far the last 3 months I've been using her car, while mine is stored in our Condo garage. I'm in Montreal Canada, so it's always snowing, tmperatures below 0, and roads full of salt.

I haven't moved nor started the car for 3 months, at first I was happy about it, but now am not sure it's a good idea. Should I start the car once in a while, and drive it in the Cono garage, or should I leave it be for another month or so.

It's got Synthetic oil, gas tank is full, car is clean, leather has been treated, tires are full, and I do trickle charge the battery once in a while.

Any opinions?

Phil
Old 02-18-15 | 03:30 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Only drive it when you need (and make sure it's a long drive and everything gets up to temp). Don't start it up occasionally and let it sit.
Old 02-18-15 | 09:52 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Get a battery tender to charge the battery.
Old 02-19-15 | 06:49 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Circumstances just resolved my dilemma. My wife's car's battery was dead this morning. It's about 6 years old and has been acting weak as of lately. So I had no choice but take my Lexus out of storage, went to Costco to purchase a new battery for her.

Just finished installing it. Oh well, time to wash the Lexus again tonight after work and keep it in the garage for another month or so.

Phil
Old 02-20-15 | 11:45 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

My car hasn't moved since before Thanksgiving, and if my trusty pickup truck sticks with me, it won't get out of the garage until all the snow is gone and the roads are clean. It's been on a battery maintainer since then, although I did start it a couple of times, last time was a couple of weeks ago. Like yours, it sits quietly waiting, freshly washed & polished, tank full of gas.
Old 02-20-15 | 12:43 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KLF
My car hasn't moved since before Thanksgiving, and if my trusty pickup truck sticks with me, it won't get out of the garage until all the snow is gone and the roads are clean. It's been on a battery maintainer since then, although I did start it a couple of times, last time was a couple of weeks ago. Like yours, it sits quietly waiting, freshly washed & polished, tank full of gas.
Except for starting my car occasionally, you sound exactly like me.

I can certainly relate.
Old 02-20-15 | 09:35 PM
Ultramiler
Rookie

Well if you do run into this dilemma again I would say start it up, let it run then buzz it around a few blocks every now and then. Cars don't really like to sit. Your rotors can rust just from sitting, you can also get spots on the rotors from where the pad was resting. Stuff that us supposed to move can start sticking ect...

I would just use it in place of your other car every now and then.
Old 02-20-15 | 11:48 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

my 2c.

car's that sit will start to have problems eventually. That's well known. But for a winter (even a long one) each year isn't really going to be an issue.

the kind of things that do occur when storing a car are the below;

- scale (not rust), on the rotors: may require machining; low cost.
- flat spots in tyres. Steel belted tyres will lose their roundness, acquiring a flat section.
- water in the fuel tank. (condensation).
- infestations of insects (it's a perfect home) / retiles.
- mold. (inside and out)
- water damage to brake pistons. Brake fluid is hydroscopic (attracts water), the moisture in the air can make it past the dust seals and damage the brakes. Prevention is to pump them a few times or use them. (this is kinda rare to be honest, but I have seen it)
- battery damage.
- excess battery terminal Sulfuration damages paint / electrical system.
- lichen build up on body work.
- paint powdering.
- mechanical seals drying out. They rely on being wet / oiled / greased which typically only occurs during use. This can cause odd leaks of fluids.
- human interference.
Old 02-21-15 | 06:00 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ultramiler
Well if you do run into this dilemma again I would say start it up, let it run then buzz it around a few blocks every now and then. Cars don't really like to sit. Your rotors can rust just from sitting, you can also get spots on the rotors from where the pad was resting. Stuff that us supposed to move can start sticking ect...

I would just use it in place of your other car every now and then.
No, bad idea.

You only want to use the car when you need it, regularly. And, if you ever do decide to just take it for a drive, make sure it's long and the car gets up to full operating temperature, I'd recommend a long highway drive.
Old 02-21-15 | 09:59 AM
Ultramiler
Rookie

Originally Posted by hypervish
No, bad idea.

You only want to use the car when you need it, regularly. And, if you ever do decide to just take it for a drive, make sure it's long and the car gets up to full operating temperature, I'd recommend a long highway drive.

We are essentially saying the same thing.. I guess I just put it in lay-mans terms. Start it up and let it run = get it to operating temp... buzz it around a few blocks, ok maybe go a little longer. What I am saying is you want to use it regularly and not let it sit. That is why I suggested that he use it in place of his other car every now and then. Every trip does not need to be a highway drive. When you drive your car to the store do you make a detour to the highway just to get it up to speed?

I think the point is don't just let it sit.. use it if you want it to last.
Old 02-21-15 | 02:13 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ultramiler
We are essentially saying the same thing.. I guess I just put it in lay-mans terms. Start it up and let it run = get it to operating temp... buzz it around a few blocks, ok maybe go a little longer. What I am saying is you want to use it regularly and not let it sit. That is why I suggested that he use it in place of his other car every now and then. Every trip does not need to be a highway drive. When you drive your car to the store do you make a detour to the highway just to get it up to speed?

I think the point is don't just let it sit.. use it if you want it to last.
A bit different.

My point is to not drive it occasionally (i.e. let it sit) because you think it will wear from just sitting. But, if you do need to drive the car because your other car broke down or something, then make sure to get nice and warm before putting it back to sleep.

Not saying this is the correct way to do it, but pretty much everything that I have read (from various forums, to websites) agree with this. I was always in the drive it occasionally camp, but now I've learned better.
Old 02-22-15 | 06:18 PM
Ultramiler
Rookie

Originally Posted by hypervish
A bit different.

My point is to not drive it occasionally (i.e. let it sit) because you think it will wear from just sitting. But, if you do need to drive the car because your other car broke down or something, then make sure to get nice and warm before putting it back to sleep.

Not saying this is the correct way to do it, but pretty much everything that I have read (from various forums, to websites) agree with this. I was always in the drive it occasionally camp, but now I've learned better.
Yeah, I don't know if anyone is out there doing scientific research on this type of stuff, any evidence towards one way or another is most likely anecdotal.

I would say the only think I would be worried about for sitting for extended periods of time is; developing flat spots in the tires, surface rust that otherwise would be knocked off by the pads developing into deep rust on the rotors, some part seizing up that otherwise would be moved around, mice making a home in your engine bay and chewing up your wires, and battery going dead past the point of no return (battery tender would take care of that as previously stated).

Now this might just be me, but a lot of cars I have seen that sit for extended periods of time seem to have more dry rotting and cracking in plastics and rubber. It could be purely coincidence or possibly something to do with them not heating up every now and then and staying supple.