ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Newbie with a 1996 ES 300

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-03, 12:03 AM
SlashBecks
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Newbie with a 1996 ES 300

Hey Everyone at CL!

I just got my ES 300 this Friday, and for the time being I've got a perpetual grin pasted on my face, especially at anyone with an "inferior vehicle." Of course, not long ago I had a '88 Integra, so I've been there...

Anyhow, I've been reading the threads here and I have to say they are extremely informative...I still have a couple of questions, I'm sure they've been answered somewhere, but I guess I just haven't been able to find 'em...

1) Has anyone put in a wood dash on their 96 ES? If so, where'd you get it from, for how much and got any pics?

2) Since I'm too poor right now to get the HID conversion, I'm going with PIAA Extreme Whites, at least to get rid of that crappy yellow excuse for a headlight, anyone done this and does it look good or just wannabeish?

3) Is there anyone that has done more than smoke or clear their taillights, as in a custom job, it's just something I'm considering for the future, cause those lights are the only thing I have a complaint about!

4) And finally, has anyone managed to get the single button remote key, UNCUT, and successfully had the thing cut from a locksmith and programmed on their own? I don't have a master remote, just a normal key.

Hope someone answers!
Attached Images  
Old 03-18-03, 07:51 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the keys have to be bought together in a pair with a new chip for them to be installed in the receiver in the trunk
anew key won't work without a new chip for its frequency
you can get valet or regular keys just no alarm button
not sure on price it was around 600 canadian i think
Old 03-18-03, 09:39 AM
SlashBecks
Rookie

thanks for the info sk, i was afraid of that key thing...600 canadian, so that's like $450 US? i might as well get an entirely new system installed with remote start...but i've heard that those have their own issues in terms of installation headaches...
Old 03-18-03, 02:25 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

it isn't that hard to get a remote starter put in the wiring is easy just look at the shop that does it do they have exotics and expensive cars or civics and corollas
easiest way to see
also look to an install theey did do they use wire looms ,tie wraps,rubber grommets for going through the firewall or is it a black tape special( in other words junk)
you get what you pay for and that is a fact
when you low ball a shop they cut corners if you didn't want to pay the so called premium price but if you want a 300 dollar install for 225 that 75 has to come from someones pocket and most stores will be damned if it is going to come from theirs

later and good luck

my remote start works perfect
clifford all the way
Old 03-18-03, 02:26 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

oh yah check the group buy section a dealer in the states was giving really good prices on key sets
later
again
Old 03-18-03, 07:37 PM
SlashBecks
Rookie

thanks sk, i'm in rochester, ny, and the number of good install shops is at a minimum here...there are some places but the nicest cars i've seen them do are camaros, which aren't really that nice...I'm still more concerned about the key thing though, cause right now that's more important than the remote start, you said group buy? sorry i'm clueless what's group buy?
Old 03-18-03, 08:03 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

go to the club lexus market place forum
Old 03-25-03, 09:49 AM
jdoballer
Driver School Candidate

hey what's up I got the wood grain kit from a gut on ebay.for about 100.oo.quick install and looks great.as far as the lights im switching to piaa xtreme white's but alot of people on here have the sylvania silverstar's.i guess that it just depends on what one you like better.either way i dont think that you can go wrong

D
Old 03-26-03, 06:16 PM
SlashBecks
Rookie

hey baller,
that's cool about the dashkit, i've been seeing quite a few of those on ebay right now, i just keep hesitating 'cause i wanna make sure that it matches the existing wood in my car...

as far as those lights go, just want to share my opinion with you, sylvania silverstars are great, i'm very satisfied with them, and I don't see a big difference between them and the PIAAs, and the PIAAs are quite a bit more expensive...so just something that you might wanna think about...i've also read some reviews about PIAAs and how they burn out really soon....
Old 03-26-03, 06:41 PM
Baby Lex
Driver

Rochester, eh? I was born there. Moved down south to Texas. Moving on. I've done the wood dash. Great fit. Looks even better. And the price was perfect. I can't "afford" HID's yet, so I DO have the PIAA's installed. They have a slight purple tint to them. Very nice I must say. No complaints. I even got the matching fog lights too. I had the same issue with the remotes and decided to with an aftermarket remote start / 2-way alarm. Taillights I don't think anyone has "custom" made any other than the clearing and the same. But welcome to Club Lexus. Lots of great people, and of course cars. I have PICS. Check up under my profile and click on my homepage.
Old 03-28-03, 09:20 AM
jdoballer
Driver School Candidate

hey slash.
just to let you know i ended up going out and getting the silverstar's.To be honest im glad that i did.i already have the piaa 1400 fogs so my lights are straight.but as far as the kit is concerned i'm not sure that you'll find one that is 100% match with the factory.but im sure you can find one were it's very close.close to were it will look just the same.just when you get 1 just see if youre not happy with it can you return it .just compare it to youre interior and if you like it cool,if not just keep looking.i think it makes a big difference in the look of your car.good luck.

D
Old 03-28-03, 09:45 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by jdoballer
just to let you know i ended up going out and getting the silverstar's.To be honest im glad that i did.i already have the piaa 1400 fogs so my lights are straight.
Hey jdo, I was wondering if you could post up a pic of your ES with headlights and fogs turned on at night? I also have a '96 ES with silverstars, but with stock fogs, so there's an obvious contrast between the lighting of the headlights and fogs. For now, it's fine the way it is, but I would like to see what my fogs would look like as upgraded (such as PIAA, philips, etc.).
Old 03-28-03, 12:01 PM
SlashBecks
Rookie

that's cool baller silverstars are nothing to regret...definitely worth the money, i was driving in this completely deserted and unlit area, and man those lights helped!

PIAA fogs huh? i have to change my fogs 'cause one's broken, how much were those PIAAs? if they're a lot more then i'll go with silverstars, provided they make them for those lights, they're H3 right?

i'm still waiting on the dashkit, 'cause i'm not sure if i'm gonna modify the head unit, it's gonna be expensive but if i do it right it should work out...

my most recent venture is getting a remote master key and programming it myself..i got the instructions from devildog, but need to scrape some cash for that key, friggin $115 for one key! oh well i guess it's all part of owning a lexus.
Old 03-28-03, 12:06 PM
SlashBecks
Rookie

hey babylex, thanks for the welcome! (hmm that sounded weird) anyhow, i wish i could move down to south texas this place is too damn cold! i'm lucky that i bought the es right after the snow stopped, otherwise i'd be crying everytime a speck of salt touched my car...

i checked out your homepage, nice pics and nice system...how much did it cost? (did you already mention that on your site if you did sorry ) i don't know a shop around here that i can trust to do the job right, and i've heard some scare stories about people's sound system messing up after installing a custom alarm...maybe right now i'll just get a remote key and see if it works, and if i need to drive the car in the winter (cause i'm graduating yay!) then i'll look into an aftermarket alarm with remote start. any ideas about adding just a remote start to this system? probably wouldn't work right...
Old 03-28-03, 12:07 PM
SlashBecks
Rookie

just a pic of my car...
Attached Thumbnails Newbie with a 1996 ES 300-side2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Newbie with a 1996 ES 300