ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

92 ES300 power steering belt removal (3VZ-FE)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-15, 02:39 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 ES300 power steering belt removal (3VZ-FE)

Hey I got around to tackling the power steering & alternator belt replacement I need to do today...

I'm pretty much following the FSM timing belt removal procedure just stopping at PS belt removal...

I've removed the alternator belt, removed the wheel and fender apron seal...

I've loosened the bolt which can slide up or down about 2 inches for adjustment purposes...

I'm just a bit unsure which other bolt/s I need to loosen to be able to get the belt off...

I've attached a picture of the bolts I can see that I think are the likely options if someone could put me right I'd me most grateful... The bolt on the top right just above the PS belt is one I've loosened (green circled)
I also loosened the bolt just below the belt where you can see a finger print on the pulley (also circled in green..I'm still not finding I can get the belt off with these 2 loosened..

Is the bolt on the left (circled red) the pivot bolt??? I can't see any others that look like they'd do anything but am just a little unsure... It got too dark for me to continue so it would be good to know exactly what I need to do when I continue in the morning!

Old 04-11-15, 08:42 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,844 Likes on 2,403 Posts

You only need to loosen the one bolt, if you can't find a place to pry the pump to move it then squeeze the belt by hand, or use large pliers or a c-clamp or similar. Another way is to remove the bolt completely then pry with a screw driver, you'll know what I mean when you remove the bolt.

92 ES300 power steering belt removal (3VZ-FE)-dptnolu.png
Old 04-11-15, 04:11 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You only need to loosen the one bolt, if you can't find a place to pry the pump to move it then squeeze the belt by hand, or use large pliers or a c-clamp or similar. Another way is to remove the bolt completely then pry with a screw driver, you'll know what I mean when you remove the bolt.
Ok now that it's light again I will try once more.... I've got the feeling it's been a long time since anyone changed the PS Belt or moved the PS pump.... The timing belt was done just under 100,000kms ago. It seems like the pump was quite happy in it's position without being moved so I will try your suggestions to get it to budge...

There was a crazy amount of mud and crud in there! It took me a while to even find one of the bolts (tho apparently I needn't have bothered)
Old 04-11-15, 05:51 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

I'm just a little confused... The FSM says to "loosen the bolts"... bolts as in more than one....

When you get the the reinstall it says to "install the PS drive belt with the pivot and adjusting bolts"....

So is the bolt on the left (red circled) the pivot bolt?? I'll go and try squeezing the belt, levering etc but it seems pretty stuck in place... I'll try your suggestions first anyway but i'm not too confident after last night but it was getting quite dark so perhaps I'll get on better now..

Incase it's not clear.... In the photo I put up the bolt on the right of the pic in green circle is the one in the drawing being loosened...
Old 04-11-15, 08:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,844 Likes on 2,403 Posts

It's been awhile since I worked on a 3VZ so maybe I'm wrong but don't think I am. You can loosen the other bolts it won't hurt but I just don't remember doing that.
Old 04-11-15, 10:58 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
It's been awhile since I worked on a 3VZ so maybe I'm wrong but don't think I am. You can loosen the other bolts it won't hurt but I just don't remember doing that.
Yeah I think you were right......

The one on the left (red circle) is something totally different it hold something inside where I thought the PS pump would pivot from...

I'm not sure what the middle bolt does....

I just wasn't putting enough leverage on the pump to move it or levering in the wrong place.. So as suggested I took the bolt out that locks the pump in place and levered around there and got it moving... With the belt off, if it sat for a few mins it was really hard to get moving again, I think all the mud and gunk and crap has got in and stiffened the pivoting point...

So 1 more job done & ticked off the list..... Replaced both the alternator & PS/AC belts... They seem to be on good no more squeeking & screeching... I don't think they're on too tight, I can twist them about 90 degrees max in the middle of the longest run of each..

Lexus2000, thanks! you have come to my rescue in the middle of a few repair jobs now I think!
Old 04-12-15, 06:50 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

just wondering if there are any obvious signs (visual / audio) that a belt (PS or alternator) has been installed too tight...

I just went and started the car up this morning to go and grab a couple of things from the auto store before doing the valve cover gaskets and I sort of thought that the engine took an fraction longer to fire up, perhaps going chuga chuga for a 1/2 second longer than before I put the new belts in... It's quite possible I'm making something out of nothing also... After a few starts I'm not certain it's doing it, perhaps it was just extra cold this morning...

I tightened the belts so I can twist them 90 degrees in the middle of the longest run of each, maybe a fraction more, I don't have a belt tension gauge...