ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

3VZ-FE valve cover gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-15, 08:08 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3VZ-FE valve cover gasket replacement

So I'm at the last job I need to do for my 1992 Windom / ES300's 6 monthly warrant of fitness inspection..... I've saved the worst for last the valve cover gasket replacement to stop oil leaking onto the exhaust....

I've got the valve cover gaskets, the spark plug seals, washers & oil cap seal / gasket...

Are there any other gaskets I have to replace when doing this job...??

Do I need to do gaskets on the upper air intake??
Old 04-12-15, 10:05 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

You need a plenum gasket, which is the same thing as the "upper intake" I think Toyota calls it a surge tank. Honestly you can often reuse the gasket but it is best to replace it anyway just to be sure. Don't forget to use FIPG on the specified areas. If you haven't take the opportunity to replace the spark plugs, and spark plug wires if needed.

Have you done the cam seals at any point? When the covers are off it makes it much easier to get the seals out, remove the cam bearing caps and the seal pops right out. Of course that means you will be pulling the upper timing cover and cam sprockets off quite a lot of work. I highly recommend you wash the engine bay first before you start the work.
Old 04-12-15, 04:34 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You need a plenum gasket, which is the same thing as the "upper intake" I think Toyota calls it a surge tank. Honestly you can often reuse the gasket but it is best to replace it anyway just to be sure. Don't forget to use FIPG on the specified areas. If you haven't take the opportunity to replace the spark plugs, and spark plug wires if needed.

Have you done the cam seals at any point? When the covers are off it makes it much easier to get the seals out, remove the cam bearing caps and the seal pops right out. Of course that means you will be pulling the upper timing cover and cam sprockets off quite a lot of work. I highly recommend you wash the engine bay first before you start the work.
I've replaced the spark plugs in the front bank, so I was going to take this oppurtunity to do the rear bank plugs as the plugs aren't doing any good sitting in my tool box.....

Haven't done the cam seals, I doubt they've been done in a long time.... Would you say it's much extra work??? Any "special" tools required??
Old 04-12-15, 04:46 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

I would say it's several hours of extra work. You will need a
camshaft holding tool camshaft holding tool
to remove the cam bolts. You will also need a torque wrench that goes down to about 10lb/ft for the cam bearing caps. You don't have to remove them to get the seals out but it makes the job way easier especially the one bank, the strut tower makes working in that area difficult.