ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

a/c noises even when a/c off

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-15, 08:16 AM
sugarspotz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02-300 a/c noises even when a/c off

2002 es300
I was told a few years ago I had a vent control module going bad.

ac makes a loud bubbly grumbly noise and now an electrical "read" noise. the electrical noise is coming from foot well. sounds like the kick plate but definitely the foot well. the ac noises are in front of the driver.

I have found vent modules and there are 4 of them. im being told the "actuators" is failing that's why im hearing the electrical signal being sent repeated times. would an actuator be a vent module. the ac & heater modules are behind the ac panel in the dash

Last edited by sugarspotz; 04-28-15 at 05:40 AM. Reason: need car info
Old 04-27-15, 09:23 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

what year is your car? have you run a/c diagnostics?
Old 04-27-15, 09:35 AM
sugarspotz
Driver School Candidate

No codes in cpu yet. I have a friend with a scannerS that I will have test it then. Im having some other things that he cant test too while we are at it.
Old 04-27-15, 01:15 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarspotz
No codes in cpu yet. I have a friend with a scannerS that I will have test it then. Im having some other things that he cant test too while we are at it.
I assume you are referring to your 2002 ES300. If so, there is a sequence of buttons that you can press on the climate control unit that will display stored AC trouble codes (if any) on the climate control's screen. No OBD II code reader required.

Unfortunately I don't remember the sequence, but if you do a google search, or search this site, you may find it.

Otherwise, hopefully someone that does know will chime in.

BTW, You should always include the year and model of your car in your post. (I had to look it up on your profile)

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 04-27-15 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-28-15, 05:35 AM
sugarspotz
Driver School Candidate

Sorry I though it was on my moniker but it doesn't show on this site. 02 es300
Old 04-28-15, 05:48 AM
sugarspotz
Driver School Candidate

found this

"Running the A/C system diagnostics: Press RECIRCULATION and AUTO buttons together and turn key to ON position and watch the LCD aircond. system screen normally used for temperature settings for a numerical code indicating the problem area. BTW, zero zero (00) means normal. First, all indicator lights will flash 4 times, then a buzzer beeps. When error codes are displayed a short while later, slower display can be activated by pushing RECYCLE."

once in test mode you can start the car to test temps etc

Push front defrost button and it will put you into actuator mode? it moves through the vents positions individually. Once in this mode press recycle to stay in a certain position for testing.

to clear ac codes press front and rear defrost together

told to test on sunny day or it can throw solar senor codes falsely.

Last edited by sugarspotz; 04-29-15 at 10:43 AM. Reason: more stuff
Old 04-28-15, 06:38 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

found this

"Running the A/C system diagnostics: When switching ignition ON push RECIRCULATION and AUTO buttons together and watch the LCD aircond. system screen normally used for temperature settings for a numerical code indicating the problem area. BTW, zero zero (00) means normal. First, all indicator lights will flash 4 times, then a buzzer beeps. When error codes are displayed a short while later, slower display (step mode by repeatedly pushing Fresh) can be activated by pushing FRESH. Hitting OFF stops the diagnostics."
Yeah that's the procedure on my 1992... So if it works it should check all the sensors and then run through all the actuators (or whatever controls the routing of airflow to your selected destination) to test they are ok...

I can't recall off the top of my head which button but once activated there is another button press to switch between the sensor and actuator check (I think)...
Old 04-29-15, 06:03 AM
sugarspotz
Driver School Candidate

codes 21 and 24 solar circuit both sides. Not sure what that means yet. This is what is stored I will clear and manually test in full sun.
Old 04-29-15, 06:05 AM
Mphidd
Driver School Candidate

found this

"Running the A/C system diagnostics: When switching ignition ON push RECIRCULATION and AUTO buttons together and watch the LCD aircond. system screen normally used for temperature settings for a numerical code indicating the problem area. BTW, zero zero (00) means normal. First, all indicator lights will flash 4 times, then a buzzer beeps. When error codes are displayed a short while later, slower display can be activated by pushing DEF (step thru modes by pushing DEF for each senor position). Hitting OFF stops the diagnostics."

to clear ac codes press front and rear defrost together

told to test on sunny day or it can throw solar senor codes falsely.

I'm going to try this on my 1999 ES300