ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2003 AC Issue - No blinking light

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-15, 09:14 AM
StimpzSC3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 AC Issue - No blinking light

Let me start off by saying that I did a bunch of research, but I couldn't find anyone with this same problem.

I've had my car for about 2 months now and I haven't had any problems with the AC until yesterday. It was mid 80s outside and very humid, I started the AC and all I got was hot air. I proceeded to turn it on and off a few times, and adjust the temperature and zones to see if it would change anything, but nothing. After doing some research I did the diagnostic and it showed code 23 (pressure circuit?).

My issue is different than others I've seen because I have no blinking lights. AC turns on normally an operates normally. I cant tell if the compressor is kicking on or not... I looked yesterday and it was spinning freely. I've read that if its the compressor than the AC light should blink. Any ideas? It was working perfectly up until yesterday (yesterday was probably the hottest its been so far).

Thanks guys.
Old 05-28-15, 09:42 AM
HomerJay
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

You need hook up a A/C pressure gauge set to check high and low pressure readings. This will help determine next steps.
Old 05-29-15, 10:30 AM
StimpzSC3
Rookie

I've never run an AC pressure gauge before.. I'm assuming any auto store would have one, and I hook up to the fill line near the passenger headlight?

Does anyone think this sounds like the compressor itself? I'm going to try to swap relays this weekend to eliminate that from the list.
Old 05-29-15, 12:10 PM
HomerJay
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

There are two ports on the A/C system. The one by the front of the car is the high side and is NOT the side you recharge the system. The low port is by the firewall and is where you add refrigerant Try to read up on how the an A/C system works and how to use a gauge set. I believe you are low on refrigerant, but without checking the pressure it's only a guess.
Old 06-26-15, 07:35 AM
StimpzSC3
Rookie

So I took my car in finally to have it checked. The mechanic did an a/c diagnostic as well as recharge and thought everything was fine. He checked the next day and all the Freon had leaked out. He stated it was not coming from the engine bay but rather from the back of the bay near the dash..

His diagnosis was the evaporator at a price of $900. From what I've seen, $900 doesn't seem too bad for this job (although it sucks). Anyone else have opinions on what this might be? The a/c worked fine and one day it just started blowing warm. How about the price? Think i should shop around/ get a second opinion?

Just for the record, I've owned this ES for three months and already put $1600 into it... It was not well maintained before me.