ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Any way to tell if timing belt replacement has been done?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-15, 03:25 PM
DesertJake
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to tell if timing belt replacement has been done?

Like, would the brand or type of belt that's included originally be visible on the belt under inspection?

I just bought a 2003 ES300 this week with 121K miles. The Carfax doesn't show timing belt replacement, but I suppose it could have been done outside a dealership.

Here in the desert heat it seems like way too many miles for it not have been done, but I definitely want to get on it if it hasn't!

This is my first Lexus BTW. The condition is great for the age and it runs smooth.
Old 06-11-15, 03:42 PM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertJake
Like, would the brand or type of belt that's included originally be visible on the belt under inspection?

I just bought a 2003 ES300 this week with 121K miles. The Carfax doesn't show timing belt replacement, but I suppose it could have been done outside a dealership.

Here in the desert heat it seems like way too many miles for it not have been done, but I definitely want to get on it if it hasn't!

This is my first Lexus BTW. The condition is great for the age and it runs smooth.

You can register your car at:
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...serviceHistory

This shows the dealer history, hopefully the original seller had it serviced until they sold it to you, in that case it was probably highly recommended they change it around 90k, water pump optional.
Old 06-11-15, 03:46 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

If the dealer can't help you, than your next best bet is to ask the previous owner.

If it was done at a dealership, there should be a sticker somewhere either on the engine cover, or the timing belt cover.

If all this fails, you're basically out of luck.

Phil
Old 06-11-15, 04:49 PM
DesertJake
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm out of luck. I bought from a used car guy, so no help there.

The Lexus site only shows the first couple of years of service and then nothing. There's no sticker I can see. The two other belts that I can see without removing the cover look like new, but that may not mean anything.
Old 06-11-15, 04:49 PM
JDMSteven
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I forget what shop mine was done at, but the previous owner had it done and there is a sticker on the underside of the hood
Old 06-11-15, 05:16 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertJake
I think I'm out of luck. I bought from a used car guy, so no help there.

The Lexus site only shows the first couple of years of service and then nothing. There's no sticker I can see. The two other belts that I can see without removing the cover look like new, but that may not mean anything.
Maybe the used car dealer will ell you who the previous owner was. Alternatively, Carfax will show it
Old 06-12-15, 07:34 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Look at the crank bolt and timing cover bolt for signs its been previously removed.

If you're able to get the timing covers off (which is half the job anyway) there's usually a date code on the water-pump. A pump newer than the car means its been replaced. Additionally if you can still clearly see the yellow installation marks on the timing belt, its probably not the original.

On the other hand, if you find a lot of brown dust and worn bits of rubber under the cover, your belt needs to be changed.
Old 06-13-15, 11:56 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 348 Likes on 301 Posts

Like Speedkar9 said (he is a good source of advice), it is dead obvious from looking at the bolts necessary to get in there. The crank is a dead give-away but you have to take off the RF wheel and inner fender panel to easily visualize it.10 minute job. Easy-peasy, lemon squeezy.

I would bet dollars to donuts the answer is "no" because it's been re-sold non-dealer or private, and only at 120k. Not a "big scary" in my book especially since you are in a dry desert state. Heat is not the real issue here, it is stop/go. I am wagering you are in a highway mileage type environment and if true, these belts are solid and can last. NYC mileage, I want it done at 90k. Texas highway miles, I'm ok to 150k. One size does not fit all here.

As to cost to get it done? You can do it yourself for under $200, or find an independent shop for about $750. Dealer about $1k. It is mostly labor. Parts and fluids are about $180 last time I did ours (last year). At your mileage/age, you also need to equally consider the need to change the long-life plugs, (also big labor for the rear bank), check tranny fluid and swap, PS fluid, and brake fluid. Don't ignore these things if you do not have documented service recently. If highway miles, your suspension should still be good so not going to belabor that point yet.

Welcome to the club. Our 2002 (same gen as yours) tips 240k next week and runs like a proverbial Swiss watch. Take care of it with constant (quality!) fluid changes on schedule. it will go forever. The 1mz-fe in this generation is a great, mature engine and the tranny was reliable.

Known issues are the upper torque strut breaks (cheap on ebay - aka "dog bone" mount) as does some of the bottom/lower engine mounts (most often the center/front one) - also not terribly expensive. If you have hard shifts/downshifts, look to those issues. A few other very minor issues easily found by googling or searching/asking here but a very reliable platform.

Last edited by Oro; 06-14-15 at 12:09 AM.