ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

A/d/s/!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-03, 08:48 PM
NVICTIS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/d/s/!!

Damn it, I have everything I need for a complete system except for the head. I just got an A/D/S/ powerplate for my components. Its 50x6. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I don't have a head, and the fact that I cant decide on one. Its between the new oversized hideaway Alpine, kenwood excelon tv, or pioneer tv. I think I'm leading towards the Alpine but not sure. Anyway, I was thinking that maybe ANYONE with GOOD knowledge about car audio should help me out. Please do not mention anything Sony, or JVC. they are not my cup of tea. Anyway, any other input would be great in helping me decide. Also, it would help to voice your opinion against something I have mentioned, this is because you may know something I don't. Thanks for posting.

P.S. I would really like to here something back from kyle, you seem to know your ****!!! This is also for Kyle, what are you dynoing??? Trunk and doors?? Please post with advice, thanks.
Old 03-29-03, 09:06 PM
Luc
Pit Crew

How about Eclipse? They do have some nice CD/Multimedia units available. So, nothing like a CDX-C910/C90 or XDP4000 would interest you? Does the a/d/s/ support digital input?

Whoa...dynoing trunk and doors?? I'd love to see that!! Oh wait...you mean dynomatting...

Last edited by Luc; 03-29-03 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-30-03, 02:28 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've already deadened my doors using Raammat, 2 layers on the outside and inside skins, and 1- 2 layers on the panel itself, the doors are definitely much deader. I also used Deflex Pads behind the midbasses in the doors, I didn't do a direct comparison with/without, but I've heard these are worth the money to help break up the backwave. I'm currently deadening the rear deck, c-pillar area of the car. I cut out part of the rear deck and am using Raammat over what's left, and then over the c-pillars and rear wheel wells, possibly under the back seat as well depending on how much mat I've got. I'll probably be using a few other deadening methods and materials depending on the need, I'll have to isolate any rattles that remain once the system is in and deal with them at that time, the stuff I'm doing now is kinda the groundwork. There are a few pics of my doors on the page in my signature, check the links section on that page for my old car, there are a bunch of pictures of the deadening I did in that car with Raammat and a couple types of foam.

I've been going through the same thing with the HU, looking to replace my old Alpine CDA-7840. This piece is about 3 years old now and showing it's age. This HU has turned me off a little from Alpine, it's always seemed to skip more easily than I think it should, especially when it's cold (stiffens the suspension on the laser); and it's funny with playing CDR's, it'll start playing a song at a random point in the song when you switch tracks, strange. It's also started turning off and then back on sometimes when you insert a disc with the unit on. I don't know, I think it shouldn't really be having these problems and I've heard from other people who've thought Alpine has been going downhill. I've been debating on whether I want video or just a standard audio setup and decided the video wouldn't be worth the investment for the little I would really use it. Luc, funny you mention the Sony C90, that's the direction I've been leaning and I'm real close to pulling the trigger on one as I type this. A few other brands to consider would be Nakamichi and Denon, they can get spendy too but are excellent HU's. An Eclipse should serve you well too. I'd researched a little and heard good things on Pioneer video, don't know much about the Kenwood.

Congrats on the a/d/s amp (very nice) and good luck in making your HU decision.
Old 03-30-03, 12:59 PM
NVICTIS
Driver

Default fujitsuten

or however you spell it owns eclipse, nakamiche, and a few others. These are great heads but they aren't to visualy asthetic, but are great heads nonetheless. Kenwood and pioneer seem in my opinion to have the best look, but I want the looks and the sound. I guess this is just something I'll have to solve for myself. Also, thanks for all that reponded. I think eclipse looks a bit dated as far as multimedia goes, but kenwood has in my opinion the BEST tv out. Pioneer would prob. be second. I think however that I'm going to put tv's in the head rests and maybe one somewhere in the front, but I am leaning towards a good HU to control my system. Thanks for deadening info kyle. Anyone else can feel free to put fourth ideas. POST!!!!