ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Turbo Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-03, 09:25 PM
Sams GS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Intake Manifold

As I learned in 3rd grade; "if you don't know the answer to the question... ask" My search did not yeild what I was looking for so I figured I'd ask you guys:

Is a Turbo Intake Manifold possible for a ES300?

By that I mean, if one was to make a Turbo Intake Manifold would it work well? on the same note would a ES 300 Turbo Intake Manifold actaully SELL; I mean, if one came out would you actaully pick it up?

Thanks in advance for your answers. I need a new project...
Old 04-03-03, 10:37 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what year(s) ES? I doubt it'll sell like hotcakes or anything-sorry.
Umm, the Lexus ES (and camry for that matter) engine bay is quite crammed as is....I don't know how you could easily get around it, it'll take lots of hours i bet. But, I'm never one to discourage people working on their 1mz's. I wouldn't buy one, though...cuz i don't have an ES anymore.
Old 04-04-03, 09:03 PM
Sams GS300
Driver School Candidate

Hmm ok, how about something like this:

http://www.i-m-racing.com/dcspors2head.html

The car I'd make it for would be the 96' ES cause thats what I have to work with. Would anyone buy that if it came out?
Old 04-04-03, 11:33 PM
NVICTIS
Driver

Default Yeah

That would totally kick (dont want another edit). I would purchase something like that in that price range.
Old 04-05-03, 08:29 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

umm the page shows a header for an s2000?
also there is a guy by the name of tony the tiget on toyota nation
he has a v6 camry same engine 1mz-fe with a turbo
search under www.toyotanation.com
under his name
ask him if you have questions
my only thought is it has been done but i am not sure of the quality since only one bank of exhaust outlets seem to be applied causing undo load on 3 of the 6 cylinders and crank
which should create crankwalk and journal bearing damage as it is unevenalso back pressure in the intake plenum for that app
but hey that is what r&d is for
good luck on you quest
it would be a nice thing to have
as is the trd superchager
my friend just put it on his 97 camry v6 ,very nice
oh you can search the same site under the name phi for the supercharger info
also try southern california camry club
not sure of www.
team sc3

like i said good luck and keep us informed to your quest

later

Last edited by skperformance; 04-05-03 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-05-03, 10:07 AM
Sams GS300
Driver School Candidate

Alright well I think I will tackle the header first. My understanding is that it is wider piping on the manifold? If that is correct then all I have to do is widen the pipes right? A 10-20hp gain for $400 is something I am certainly interested in producing (if I can)
Old 04-06-03, 08:30 AM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Westnstubby -
It seems that you may have the intake manifold confused with the exhaust manifold which is the headers. To do a turbo setup you need an turbo exhaust manifold. Just trying to figure out if that's what you meant.
Old 04-06-03, 01:00 PM
Sams GS300
Driver School Candidate

Actaully i'm not really looking to make a turbo kit yet. I was more looking to make a peice to put the horsepower in the 200's. I aparently misunderstood. It was my understanding that by making the pipes wider then the stock manifold (or is that the header?) you would gain a horsepower boost. Now i'm kinda confused.
Old 04-06-03, 06:11 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just making a wider exhaust manifold piping doesn't nessacarily mean it will create more power for sure it is a kind of hit and miss r&d situation
the wider piping also helps in the exhaust definatly
but may not work as easily on the manifold as it can create scavaging so near the the combustion chamber
the overall length of the the runner in the header is where power can be made definatly also but creates a problem in the sharp angles of the original manifold needing flex pipes and a u joint which causes large amounts of back pressure and turbulence
i hope this helps you in your journey
Old 04-06-03, 11:05 PM
LunaR
Driver

hopefully this a put an end to the turbo question. any car no matter what it is can be turbo charged. all u have to do is have a welder custom make a turbo manifold, then find the right turbo for you and there u go. depending on the boost pressure u may have to upgrade ur engine enternals and add an intercooler. But it can be done. I have seen a 97 Windom from Japan with a custom turbo set up so I know this is all true. Just search the old forums and u can see a pic of an ES engine with turbos. Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-03, 11:11 PM
Sams GS300
Driver School Candidate

Thank for all your help guys. I'm going to get to work on this, if you would like I can post a few updates as this progresses.
Old 04-07-03, 11:03 AM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LunaR
hopefully this a put an end to the turbo question. any car no matter what it is can be turbo charged. all u have to do is have a welder custom make a turbo manifold, then find the right turbo for you and there u go. depending on the boost pressure u may have to upgrade ur engine enternals and add an intercooler.
You do need an intercooler, piping, fuel pump, bigger injectors, boost controller, blow off valve, boost gauge, oil return lines, misc flanges, along with the turbo itself and a manfiold.
Old 04-07-03, 08:47 PM
Sams GS300
Driver School Candidate

This is getting kind of complicated and I do have work so... how about something simple like a downpipe, thats a easy 30-40hp, would anyone buy that? (in order to break even i'll have to make and sell 50 of them)
Old 04-07-03, 09:09 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Wesnstubby
This is getting kind of complicated and I do have work so... how about something simple like a downpipe, thats a easy 30-40hp, would anyone buy that? (in order to break even i'll have to make and sell 50 of them)
WHAT!?!??! Impossible -- just scratch that idea completely. maybe 15hp at the wheels on a TURBO car. We'd get like 4hp at the wheels....maybe...probably not...
Old 04-07-03, 09:14 PM
Sams GS300
Driver School Candidate

Then I wonder what Supra store is talking about. What about a Cat back exhaust? something simple...

Quick Reply: Turbo Intake Manifold