ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Mass Air Flow Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-15, 12:46 PM
Number18
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mass Air Flow Sensor

I am having trouble with Engine and Trac Off light coming on... Over the last 3 years, I have replaced bank 2 sensor 1 , cleaned debris off of hot wire for mass air flow sensor rescanned system, (April 2012) fixed gasket leaking (Jan. 2015) and replaced Bank 1 sensor 2...( last month)
I was told that there are 8 sensors in ES 300
I don't know which sensor is acting up now, but ...Does anyone know how much to replace mass air flow sensor??? just curious...(since the last time the dealer cleaned it, they notated it that if the lights come back again, I might have to replace it. Any thoughts and advise will be greatly appreciated...
Old 09-19-15, 12:50 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Number18
I am having trouble with Engine and Trac Off light coming on... Over the last 3 years, I have replaced bank 2 sensor 1 , cleaned debris off of hot wire for mass air flow sensor rescanned system, (April 2012) fixed gasket leaking (Jan. 2015) and replaced Bank 1 sensor 2...( last month)
I was told that there are 8 sensors in ES 300
I don't know which sensor is acting up now, but ...Does anyone know how much to replace mass air flow sensor??? just curious...(since the last time the dealer cleaned it, they notated it that if the lights come back again, I might have to replace it. Any thoughts and advise will be greatly appreciated...
Is your Check Engine light on? What are your DTC code(s)? Why did you replace Bank 1 Sensor 2?
Old 09-19-15, 08:13 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The MAF sensor is easy to replace. It is in your intake tract right after the air filter and all that is required is to loosen the screws holding it in place and disconnect the wiring harness. They sell MAF cleaner at auto parts stores and I believe it is also stocked at Wal mart, it would be worth a shot to pull out the MAF and spray it down with the cleaner, don't touch or wipe the wire, just spray it. If this does not resolve your issue and you need a new MAF you will already know how to pull it. Also, if your car has obd2 and you have a smartphone I would recommend buying an ELM327 Bluetooth adapter and downloading the application "Torque" to your phone. This will allow you to read and clear codes and monitor almost any parameter your ecu sees. The adapter can be had for $10 and the base application is free but the full version is worth the $5 it costs.

A quick Google search shows maf sensors ranging from 27 to 80 dollars and if you don't do it yourself a mechanic shouldn't charge more than a half an hour to do this. Attached is a picture of what to look for under the hood, I am pointing directly at the sensor. It's an easy job even if you know nothing about cars. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Mass Air Flow Sensor-1442676331583.jpg  

Last edited by JetsonES; 09-19-15 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-19-15, 02:15 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Throwing parts at a problem gets expensive and frustrating.
Old 09-19-15, 03:47 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

No kidding. That's why I think everyone with obd2 should get an ELM327 adapter, it pretty much tells you all you need to know and for 10 bucks it's really a great investment, it pays for itself in just the time and fuel it would take to drive to a mechanic.
Old 09-20-15, 01:50 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by JetsonES
No kidding. That's why I think everyone with obd2 should get an ELM327 adapter, it pretty much tells you all you need to know and for 10 bucks it's really a great investment, it pays for itself in just the time and fuel it would take to drive to a mechanic.
IIRC, the Torque system works only on Android? If you are going to own and drive an older vehicle (ie, not lease a new car every 2-3 years), you would be smart to spend $100 and get a basic reader/scanner with freeze frame capability. Even if you do not do the work yourself, you will avoid shops running up big bills replacing good parts.

Edit: looks like the ELM is now iphone compatible but I still like the old fashioned hardwired readers/scanners. Hey, I'm old....what can I say?

Last edited by artbuc; 09-20-15 at 01:57 AM.
Old 09-20-15, 07:14 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

I am old too, but this technology is truly awesome. There are lots of applications on the market for diagnostics, I just found torque to be the best for my needs especially when I owned a performance car. Data logging is nice to see how your car is responding to different conditions and being able to set up a display with any gauge you want, temperature alarms,etc..is really cool

Last edited by JetsonES; 09-20-15 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-20-15, 08:55 AM
artbuc
Instructor

I am old too, but this technology is truly awesome. There are lots of applications on the market for diagnostics, I just found torque to be the best for my needs especially when I owned a performance car. Data logging is nice to see how your car is responding to different conditions and being able to set up a display with any gauge you want, temperature alarms,etc..is really cool
Ok, now I have to get one, lol. Will let you know how I like it. I watched a YouTube video by Eric the Car Guy re wireless code readers. He was very unimpressed but I do not know when that video was made and if he has a different opinion now.
Old 09-20-15, 10:02 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

It's really a sweet setup, any gauge you want you can have in real time, water temp, inlet air temp, vacuum, boost, voltage, it's just insane. Pretty much eliminates the need for installing any gauges in your car and is way more accurate than the stock dummy gauges.
Old 09-20-15, 01:33 PM
artbuc
Instructor

It's really a sweet setup, any gauge you want you can have in real time, water temp, inlet air temp, vacuum, boost, voltage, it's just insane. Pretty much eliminates the need for installing any gauges in your car and is way more accurate than the stock dummy gauges.
Guess my memory was correct. The ELM is simply a Bluetooth adapter compatible with android and iphone, but the actual Torque app is android only.
Old 09-20-15, 01:37 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Correct. That stinks that torque is not on iPhone but I'm sure there is something comparable.
Old 09-21-15, 06:01 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Meh. Why not just get Toyota Techstream, its pretty much everything the dealer has? You monitor a lot more and change settings that the Bluetooth adapter can't. And the cable is only $25...

As for the OP: Post up the engine codes your car is throwing and that can give us some pointers. My friend's 99 ES300 is also acting up with the oxygen sensors and traction light flashing.
Old 09-21-15, 07:07 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Cool, I had no idea that product existed! Now I must have one. Thanks man!

Last edited by JetsonES; 09-21-15 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-30-15, 11:30 AM
Number18
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, I took it to the dealer and they said it is the catalytic converter. It'll cost me over $2000 so they told me to take it to Midas or somewhere else to get it done. Since both Engine Check Light and Trac Off light were off because they looked at it, I've been driving without fixing it. Today, both lights finally came back on... The dealer said that I could drive with the lights on, but I am soooo dreaded to get the catalytic converter changed. It's expensive wherever I take it, correct? and if anyone knows how long I could drive without fixing that, I would appreciate the advise. Well, I would appreciate any advise.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-19, 05:02 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Assuming it is your cats, yo can still drive for a long time without replacing them.

Its ludicrous to spend $2000 to replace them which cost more than the value of the car almost.

You can drive a long time with a worn out cat, if that is the real problem.

The cat on my car went out at 230k miles

If your car has alot of miles I would check MAF sensor , clean or replace $14

Both 02 sensors

Depending on your year and model

Last resort is replace the cat with a used one or new aftermasrket, from Ebay $100-200 not including labor for a shop to cut the old one out and weld the new one in.

If your cat is integrated with he exhaust manifold the price goes up