ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Altezza ES300 Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-03, 06:48 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree, i wouldnt want our cars to have altezzas for the riceyness of them. maybe an altered taillight, similar to the cleared and red out tails we have seen on CL. but no altezzas please...
Old 04-10-03, 07:56 PM
cryhavok
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading my post again, I see that it does have a negative connotation and i'm sorry for that. I don't mean to discourage anyone and I'd love it if the ES's got some more aftermarket attention, but I was just saying that I've been reading these boards just about every day since I learned about this site a little over a year ago, and there have been many claims about kits and what not coming out for our cars, but in the end it was all show and no go for most. It would be awesome if you begin to produce, but I have to agree with EGainer that I'm sorry to say that I just don't see it happening anytime soon, atleast for a turbo kit. Just the thought of a turbo gets me all giddy inside. But do keep us updated on your progress, you seem to have the tail lights under control.

If you don't mind me asking, what previous experience do you have working in the car aftermarket? engines/turbo's?

Anyway good luck with your venture and I hope you're successful Sams GS300
Old 04-10-03, 08:24 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

yeah same question from me. what experience in the electronics (making tail lights) and the engine parts? i don't this will happen, but when i think of a homemade turbo, i think of that little "Tornado" product sold on tv, hooked up to a tiny motor and AA batteries....

Last edited by EGainer; 04-10-03 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-10-03, 08:28 PM
Sams GS300
Driver School Candidate

The deamon eyes was just an Idea I threw out there and when I say Altezza I don't really mean straigh up white and red, more of the New ES300 design. As for experence with turbo's my feild is elsewhere however a freind of mine with extensive knowledge of turbochargers will/would be helping me with the project. And brad, a wonderful thing about this country is that no one will every force you to buy or like my taillights. As for funding I have enough from prior projects to do maybe 100 taillights (50 of single, 50 of double.) It would not be a full taillight, just the housing that would use existing lights and wires. And if I ever id make a turbo kit, i'd make no more 20, and they'd probably be exclusivly for clublexus members by request. The turbo and wastegate would be bought from another company, It would be ridiculous to even attempt to make my own. I'm just trying to help you guys out.

Last edited by Sams GS300; 04-10-03 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-10-03, 08:54 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

The deamon eyes was just an Idea I threw out there and when I say Altezza I don't really mean straigh up white and red, more of the New ES300 design. As for experence with turbo's my feild is elsewhere however a freind of mine with extensive knowledge of turbochargers will/would be helping me with the project. And brad, a wonderful thing about this country is that no one will every force you to buy or like my taillights. As for funding I have enough from prior projects to do maybe 100 taillights (50 of single, 50 of double.) It would not be a full taillight, just the housing that would use existing lights and wires. And if I ever id make a turbo kit, i'd make no more 20, and they'd probably be exclusivly for clublexus members by request. The turbo and wastegate would be bought from another company, It would be ridiculous to even attempt to make my own. I'm just trying to help you guys out.
Ok, thanks for clearing up much of this. I am still confused about what you plan on doing with the tail lights, so maybe some sketches or pictures would help. Ok, and with the turbos, I see you are just getting turbos and wastegates and making them fit the ES. Sounds nice It might be a tight fit into the ES but I'm sure it can happen. The housing for the headlights is the outer plastic. If you are just going to change that, then I don't know how good it will look. I have a guy who can make me the outer plastic like you said, but it would be in fiberglass... If you are changing the inside, that's another story. Good luck
Old 04-11-03, 01:19 PM
SlashBecks
Rookie

i'm glad to see that the intention for these lights is not the typical rice effect, but rather something like the '02 ES lights, which is exactly what i had in mind when i saw this post...good to know that's your direction sams, looking forward to seeing an illustration of some kind soon!!

perhaps it's too early to ask this, but if this thing really does come through, what kind of price range are you looking to sell them at, reason i'm asking now is that i don't want to be like all gung-ho for your project, then discover after it's made that I can't afford 'em or something, just wanna be prepared
Old 04-11-03, 03:30 PM
Sams GS300
Driver School Candidate

Around $200 for the lights and $3,500 for the turbo kit without intercooler or controller.
Old 04-11-03, 08:27 PM
SlashBecks
Rookie

that sounds great sam!! good luck with the project and keep us posted
Old 04-11-03, 10:25 PM
Sams GS300
Driver School Candidate

Quick update:

Busy day for me today. It was my friends girlfriends birthday and we had to go out to that. But besides that today was phone call day.

Good news: I have found a extremely friendly/helpful/reasonable/ect... guy to get the turbos and waste gates from. These are capable of anywhere from 6-20 PSI however because we are using tubular steel manifolds over 10 PSI is not really a good idea. After I ran some new figures it looks like I can still keep the price under $3,500 and be financially safe.

Bad news: After checking my messages it appears the taillights will just be too costly for me (at this time) in the sense that I won't be able to make enough profit to make significant projects. Then when we were inspecting the ES300 and my friends V-6 Camry (both 96') my buddy slammed the hood down on my hand which swelled up and looked like a big grapefruit which I had to ice for an hour which really set me back. Then when I took a break and went to Wendy's I DUMPED Dr. Pepper all over me and had to pull over and armor-all wipe down the seats then rush home and change pants.

And, to top it off a friend of mine had to get rid of his 90' MkIII Supra which I picked up for an amazing deal (only thing wrong with it is I hate the scratched up white color)

As I said, busy day.

Edit: I Also I still have ALOT of work to do, like to make the new turbo manifold and proper pipes. Also it appears I will have to CNC Mech a new Gasket as well.

Last edited by Sams GS300; 04-11-03 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-12-03, 07:12 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care for the tails/headlights....mine are already modded....but...

Can you drop some more details on this "turbo kit"? What kind of performance numbers are we looking at?

My advice: $3500 is too high a price to ask for for cars valued at just a few grand over that. Perhaps cutting that price in half would make it more attainable.

Good luck...
Old 04-12-03, 07:44 PM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your *****ty day Sam. I hope you hand gets better quickly.

Anyway, I think $3500 is about right for an ES300 turbo kit. I realize many might find this pricey, but let's face it- the only people who are going to be turbocharging an ES300 are commited ES300 enthusiasts. Otherwise it would make a lot of sense to just sell the ES300 and get another car more adaptable to mods. Since the market will be so limited, charging $3500 does not sound that bad. You'll have to make a profit from this venture, and I know that R & D is expensive. Also, just because the cars themselves are not that valuable does not cheapen the costs of making the kit. I hope all goes well.
Old 04-12-03, 08:41 PM
Sams GS300
Driver School Candidate

Glad to hear your arn't too upset about the taillights

There is a chance I can drop the price to $3,000 IF we can secure 15 preorders (after pictures and dyno's come out of course) Possibly to $2,700 with 30 preorders (after dynos come out) The turbos can handle 6-12 PSI and the manifold can handle up to 500hp though I can promise you your engine can't.

Monday we are going to pick up the manifold. I will post pics then.
Old 04-12-03, 09:29 PM
LexFather

I am watching this thread for any selling/vendor activites. Thanks.
Old 04-12-03, 09:39 PM
Sams GS300
Driver School Candidate

Don't worry, none of the sort will go on without premission. Its just a project.
Old 04-13-03, 10:39 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i think i meantioned it the turbo can be and has been done
but not properly and it seems impossible to make a properly designed one

where can you fit piping in an already crammed engine bay ?
never mind to the rear exhaust manifold
the camry can be done easier as it has more room from missing components
just a thought
btw with the age of most of these cars the internals would have to be changed and upgraded
also being all aluminum it isn;t made to stand up to high compression
unlike a supre angine which is

good luck though
i think you are going to need it

Quick Reply: Altezza ES300 Taillights