ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Altezza ES300 Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-03, 12:23 PM
Luc
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam, you should definitely consider the respective stock compression ratios on the '92-'93 3VZ-FE, '94-'96 1MZ-FE, and '97-'98 1MZ-FE since they are all different, and figure out what is the proper psi for each to work properly. For the '99-up 1MZ-FE with VVTi, it may not be as friendly to boost because of the added complexity of lift. FYI, speaking from the S/C application, the '97-'98 1MZ-FE can be safely boosted with a 5.5psi pulley and still use stock internals. There is someone with a 7psi, high flow heads (lowered compression), bored out bottom end (3.1L), header, SAFC, tranny cooler, and catback, and he is probably putting out about 250-270 FWHP. Of course, those are much added costs, in excess of $4K extra. These are all in relative to automatic transmissions, as that is part of the limiting factor. A better torque converter would may be needed as well. Granted, a turbo is probably more fun than a S/C, but for $3500 without intercooler and timer is relatively expensive. Then, with labor costs and tuning, it will definitely add up. Lastly, I vote for sequential twin turbo set up for the 3VZ-FE cast iron block, just asking to be boosted.
Old 04-13-03, 02:02 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Couple questions for sams gs300

What size turbo are you planning on using?
How are you going to bypass the tiny MAF we have?
What year ES are you looking to use?
What about fuel?
What all would come with the kit?
What about compression - would you be able to make lower compression head gaskets?
Old 04-13-03, 03:13 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, that really bad day that you had. I'm sorry it just didn't pertain to anything about the kit. The whole wendy's thing. I'm sorry that it happened and all but I just didn't see the relavance. So the tail light thing is off correct? Personally I didn't think it would happen, only because you seem to want to change the tail light in a massive way which I could not see happening without lots of money. Second, with the turbo charger, as luc said, it would cost A LOT of money to make a turbo work with our engines without killing them. As far as I can tell, Sean (McElligott) is the only one with the engine that has been modded enough to handle that kind of power. With your kit and all the other parts needed to make the kit work, including installation and tuning... I'm thinking that five thousand dollars is a little much to be spending on a car that is worth 7 thousand. I know it was said that only ES300 enthusiasts would buy them, but I don't think that they would either. Because a real ES300 enthusiast knows that the ES is not for speed. I'm sorry, I just don't see the progress coming from this. All I am reading is more bad things and more reasons to spend money.
Old 04-13-03, 03:32 PM
blux
Pole Position

I'm interested in the lights....I live in MN 2!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-03, 03:47 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by EGainer
Right now though, I don't believe any of this will ever happen. Sorry
Old 04-13-03, 04:10 PM
Sams GS300
Driver School Candidate

After looking at everyones reaction it seems that this is not really wanted. Besides, the only place where it would possibly fit is on the upper left hand part next to the top manifold. I am going to try and make it happen for the camry instead. Sorry it couldn't work out. There is just a negitive passive-agressive mood to this post.

Those still interested can PM me.
Old 04-13-03, 04:32 PM
Luc
Pit Crew

Sam, you shouldn't be discouraged to try and do something that was never available to begin with. There are just other factors that need to be thought out, and having a turbo manifold built isn't sufficient to begin with. If you are talking about Camry V6, how would that be any different scenerio than the ES?? It's the same engine throughout the respective years. Again, you will be asked of the same questions that have been brought up here.

Having the turbo where you described probably isn't the best place, as there would be long piping as well as fitment issues to run with the intercooler. Of the two turbo'ed V6 pictures that I've seen, one had the turbo close to where the battery is at, but he also relocated the battery so that the intercooler piping can be installed. The other one had it above and to the right of the exhaust manifold that faces the front of the car. If you are literally manufacturing a turbo manifold, you will need two (twin turbo), one for each bank. Otherwise, you are only using 3 exhausts to spin the turbo. Thus, you'll have to tap off the y-pipe junction somewhere to set up a single turbo.
Old 04-13-03, 04:57 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Sams GS300
After looking at everyones reaction it seems that this is not really wanted. Besides, the only place where it would possibly fit is on the upper left hand part next to the top manifold. I am going to try and make it happen for the camry instead. Sorry it couldn't work out. There is just a negitive passive-agressive mood to this post.

Those still interested can PM me.
No, it is not that this is not wanted. Lots of people want one, you just will not be able to make one for our car. If a turbo was to ever come out for our car, it would have to be made by a company who had the money to do this. You started and ended a project in one thread... If you really wanted to make a turbo for your car, or even do the tail light thing, you should have started trying things for yourself instead of offering something that doesn't exist to others. You should try to make the turbo and the tail lights, just don't be a salesman. Just make them for yourself, you seem like you are only in this for the money, not in it for the modifications of the ES.
Old 04-13-03, 06:43 PM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah i gotta stick with eric.

the turbo seems like a large fund project that one person may not be able to do alone. our engines (especially the older first gen engines) have been through a lot. and i don't know how well the internals would hold out against the power. sean's ES is strong since it's already survived through N2O.

the altezzas. i wouldn't mind if they weren't too ricey lookin'. but that would also need quite some cash, and resources to put together.

i'm not saying i don't want either or these, but it just seems too hard to do with one person's funds. unless they were a die hard ES enthusiast with quite a load of cash to invest in this.
Old 04-13-03, 07:37 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yah i agree with everyone
i would love a turbo
but i don't want to replace my tranny or engine every 5000km
and hey if i had an extra 6000 to blow
i would be blowing a gs 400
know what i mean
the es is an entry level and is ok for a nice car
a v6 camry with a 5 speed is much better idea
and yah there seems to be a little negative vibe from people
but this is a "hey what do you think "post
so i guess this is what people think
Old 04-15-03, 09:35 AM
LEXBERG
Pole Position

I agree Brad, why not add a 2 ft high batman spoiler
Old 04-16-03, 12:39 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally posted by skperformance
i think i meantioned it the turbo can be and has been done
but not properly and it seems impossible to make a properly designed one

where can you fit piping in an already crammed engine bay ?
never mind to the rear exhaust manifold
the camry can be done easier as it has more room from missing components
just a thought
Okay...once again...here is your lack of knowledge and negativtiy of this platform.

First of all, there are 2 people in the Camry/Solara community with turbo 1MZ-FE's. One is a 94 Camry V6 from Toronto and the other is a Solara V6 from Hawaii. If you want proof, here it is:

Tony Leung's 94 Turbo 1MZ-FE:
http://www.geocities.com/leunghomepage

xxTRD69xx's 00 Turbo 1MZ-FE:
http://www.geocities.com/xxtrd69xx/turbotoy.html

the camry can be done easier as it has more room from missing components
just a thought

Explain that please!? What missing components? Other than some V6 Camry models lacking the ABS modulator on the passenger side by windshield washer reservoir, your assumptions are wrong again. Don't give me some smart remark to this post...because I know you will have something to say after I post this. Get your facts straight first because naive people that have no clue (just like yourself) will feed off your negativity. And you're supposed to be a mechanic?
Old 04-16-03, 10:03 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Since we've strayed WAY off topic...let's throw it back into the Altezza light discussion.

As for my personal opinion, it's great to see aftermarket companies finding interest in making parts for the ES300. But honestly, are these parts really something that will benefit the ES300 community in the long run? If aftermarket companies wanna make parts, focus on more profitable and worthy parts. Not asthetic items like clear corners and lenses. I'm mainly a performance guy, not a pointless accessory junkie. Some may think otherwise.

Last edited by flipside909; 04-16-03 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-17-03, 04:45 AM
NRG
Lead Lap

its so sad that someone is thinking about putting altezza on a lexus..
i hate the stock is300 lights, i wish they had some regular ones =\
rice on a lexus, they should be ashem of themself
Old 04-18-03, 10:02 AM
blux
Pole Position

I disagree, I think that the IS300 black, with the altezza lights looks amazing, I saw one just yesterday and was in awe....It really rounds off the car, they dont look out of place at all. Altezza tailights are the new thing, no one wants ugly looking 80s style red bricks, look at all of the new model cars...Why not take the old outdated style 1st gen es300 lights and turn them into somthing that will bring back the ES300 into 2003??

I think if we add somthing new and elegant to the es300 it will make the older generations even more desireable than they already are, and maybe someone will drive by my ES and say damn, that is one sweet lookin car...

Problem is, I have no idea how to make em....so someone will need to mass produce.... : /

Quick Reply: Altezza ES300 Taillights