ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Altezza ES300 Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-03, 10:24 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally posted by blux

I think if we add somthing new and elegant to the es300 it will make the older generations even more desireable than they already are, and maybe someone will drive by my ES and say damn, that is one sweet lookin car...
Well if you think the APC made ones for other cars are elegant...then I guess you fall in that category majority will not follow here.
Old 04-18-03, 02:29 PM
blux
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am acutally not a fan of APC products, I belive they look cheap for the price you pay. Explain how some of the lights that APC makes differ from the stock lexus made ones for the is300 series?
Old 04-18-03, 02:31 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am acutally not a fan of APC products, I belive they look cheap for the price you pay. Explain how some of the lights that APC makes differ from the stock lexus made ones for the is300 series?
They leak and they're not street legal.

and they're ricey....
Old 04-18-03, 03:46 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Altezza tailights are the new thing, no one wants ugly looking 80s style red bricks, look at all of the new model cars...Why not take the old outdated style 1st gen es300 lights and turn them into somthing that will bring back the ES300 into 2003??

I think if we add somthing new and elegant to the es300 it will make the older generations even more desireable than they already are, and maybe someone will drive by my ES and say damn, that is one sweet lookin car...

Problem is, I have no idea how to make em....so someone will need to mass produce.... : /
You have two options that work:

1. Red-out...low cost...effective for 95-96 tails
2. Clear the orange...free

I assume your car is black, so smoking them with 35% tint would look real nice.

If someone does launch aftermarket tails for the 1st gen ES300, would you be willing to shell out hundreds of dollars for JUST tailights???

The tails are rectangular boxes. When you've got head-turners like the SC430, Z4, and 350Z on the road, there is little that can be done to the tails to make people go "damn, that is one sweet looking car!".
Old 04-18-03, 04:49 PM
frankjrsES
Driver School Candidate

Wink y??????????

Originally posted by XenonES3

If someone does launch aftermarket tails for the 1st gen ES300, would you be willing to shell out hundreds of dollars for JUST tailights???

The tails are rectangular boxes. When you've got head-turners like the SC430, Z4, and 350Z on the road, there is little that can be done to the tails to make people go "damn, that is one sweet looking car!".
I have got to agree with him. I'd rather clear them out myself. They would probably look better and it would feel better. I just think if they made these tail lights all you would need is a big ol' exhaust and a 2 ft. long aluminum wing to ghetto this fine sedan. do we really want that? I dunno, if they come out with the 1st generation then i'd check them out, but if they look as bad as those other altezza's out there, i will be embarrased...........and definetely wouldnt waste a a hundred or two on them.
Old 04-18-03, 05:41 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Explain how some of the lights that APC makes differ from the stock lexus made ones for the is300 series?
First of all, the IS300 lights that Toyota manufactured meet SAE standards. They meet all the criteria for safety that the federal department of transportation puts out. APC on the other hand are just mere made in China or Taiwan pieces that were poorly put together. They have bad seals and do not have the proper reflectors that meet SAE standards. The lights made for the IS300/Altezza and RX/Harrier series were designed straight from the drawing board for that specific model. It wasn't an afterthought that APC capitalized on unfortunately.
Old 04-18-03, 08:01 PM
blux
Pole Position

APC is obviously a lesser quality product... I mean, thats what you get when you purchase somthing that isnt OEM. Pretty sure mcelligott had a leaking problem with his headlights...theres nothin a little caulk cant fix

BUT IF YOU COULD GET SOMEONE TO FABRICATE a product that was lexus QUALITY, in looks and in craftmanship....wouldnt it be pretty sweet?

Who cares whether its street legal or not, as long as you dont have multicolored strobes on the front of your lexus I think the cops will leave you alone...
Old 04-18-03, 09:29 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

BUT IF YOU COULD GET SOMEONE TO FABRICATE a product that was lexus QUALITY, in looks and in craftmanship....wouldnt it be pretty sweet?
If that was the case, people wouldn't be able to afford those aftermarket parts. Of course it would be cool but realistically, will it happen? Not in this lifetime. If you wanted to produce just a small handful of those lights of the caliber of OEM, it would probably cost way more if you think about it. Considering OEM lenses are made in bulk...and fabricated Altezzas for the ES would be maybe 1 in a million...I think you get the idea. Sorry, but you can take that caulk and use it in the bathroom or your other household needs.

BTW, please don't use ALL CAPS to make an emphasis or a point.

Thanks,

Last edited by flipside909; 04-18-03 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-19-03, 09:28 AM
LexFather

APC=ANOTHER PIECE OF CRAP

No quality, they are horrible products. The IS 300/Altezza of course started the craze. The IS is a true sports sedan. I noticed that cars that have these lights or owners who put them on "THINK" they drive sporty cars.

Also, it depends on the model year. THe 92-96 ES has a body color grill. Maybe body color tails? I think the Altezza lights look better on cars with chrome highlights.

What about dark colored (black out)housings??? I love that look. Or black out headlights?

Just remember, the ES 300 is a LUXURY car and should be treated as such.
Old 04-19-03, 01:36 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by flipside909
First of all, the IS300 lights that Toyota manufactured meet SAE standards. They meet all the criteria for safety that the federal department of transportation puts out. APC on the other hand are just mere made in China or Taiwan pieces that were poorly put together. They have bad seals and do not have the proper reflectors that meet SAE standards. The lights made for the IS300/Altezza and RX/Harrier series were designed straight from the drawing board for that specific model. It wasn't an afterthought that APC capitalized on unfortunately.
Exactly.

Also, look at the rear quarter panel of an IS or RX. You'll notice a reflective sidemaker that lights up when the lights are turned on. This is done because the RX/IS tails do not reflect from the side.

Now, look at the rear quarter panel of a Dodge Neon or older Honda Accord. The stock tailights have reflectors that "wrap around the taillight". Aftermarket Altezzas lack reflective material on the side and pose a risk to other drivers.

That's another reason they are illegal.
Old 04-19-03, 06:28 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i personally like the black out idea that Sean (McElligott) started with the headlights. Where he painted the inside of his housings black. amrit has done this as well, and I may be soon to follow
Old 04-19-03, 06:55 PM
NVICTIS
Driver

Default rx 330

The altezzas on the new rx's are awsome. They remind me of headlights in a way. They are all clear from what I can tell and have a much more luxurious look to them. That would be something nice to have on an es, especialy if they are smoked out. I have a grey es so I guess that might make me biased (having the smoked out lens). But like always, this is just my opinion.
Old 04-19-03, 09:20 PM
blux
Pole Position

Originally posted by flipside909
If that was the case, people wouldn't be able to afford those aftermarket parts. Of course it would be cool but realistically, will it happen? Not in this lifetime. If you wanted to produce just a small handful of those lights of the caliber of OEM, it would probably cost way more if you think about it. Considering OEM lenses are made in bulk...and fabricated Altezzas for the ES would be maybe 1 in a million...I think you get the idea. Sorry, but you can take that caulk and use it in the bathroom or your other household needs.

BTW, please don't use ALL CAPS to make an emphasis or a point.

Thanks,

AH, gotcha....... wait I mean.... Ah,
Old 04-20-03, 11:14 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

AH, gotcha....... wait I mean.... Ah,
Don't press your luck.
Old 04-21-03, 03:40 PM
blux
Pole Position