ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Upgrading to another Es300.. parts interchangeablity?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-15, 05:59 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrading to another Es300.. parts interchangeablity?

So right now I have an 1995 es300, I recently got it running semi decent but still not great (won't pass smog still) but found a 2001 ES300 Coach edition, for an awesome price..has records since 2006, and it has a freshly rebuilt transmission, and timing belt, and less miles than my 95, and its is MUCH MUCH nicer..

As far as the 95 es300, I recently put in brakes, and new shocks (although the top hats creek even though they are brand new)

The coach edition has had shocks, but they are have a little life left, but the top hats don't creek.. Is it possible I can interchange it?

I know a few things like the radiator and stuff are different (i have one sitting i never installed)

But as far as parts interchangeability, what is compatible between the 2es and 3es? Thanks!

Last edited by gabzor; 10-25-15 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-25-15, 07:58 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Go to a site like this and look up the parts you want to change over.
Old 10-25-15, 08:28 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

That is what I have been doing, just wanted to make sure though, those sites aren't always accurate
Old 10-25-15, 10:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Well if you're looking for a comprehensive list of components that are shared there is no such thing. I know the rear brake components are the same, maybe the rear sway bar. Struts I don't think are the same (the rear ones might be close enough) the front brakes are definitely different.
Old 10-26-15, 12:50 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

Thanks! I thought all the suspension and brake components were the same between all the es's as well as most avalon/solara's

I know for sure the radiator is different, since the 3ES has seemed to changed to electric fans, thank god.. and I know the clusters won't ever have that damned dreaded issue of the needles burning out, and no more swamp butt since the coach edition seats are perforated

btw you seem to be correct, just cross referenced my parts that will and won't work :/ none of the brakes work, the rear struts are the same, and a few other things don't work

Last edited by gabzor; 10-26-15 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-26-15, 07:46 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by gabzor
So right now I have an 1995 es300, I recently got it running semi decent but still not great (won't pass smog still) but found a 2001 ES300 Coach edition, for an awesome price..has records since 2006, and it has a freshly rebuilt transmission, and timing belt, and less miles than my 95, and its is MUCH MUCH nicer..

As far as the 95 es300, I recently put in brakes, and new shocks (although the top hats creek even though they are brand new)

The coach edition has had shocks, but they are have a little life left, but the top hats don't creek.. Is it possible I can interchange it?

I know a few things like the radiator and stuff are different (i have one sitting i never installed)

But as far as parts interchangeability, what is compatible between the 2es and 3es? Thanks!
Not worth the hassle dude.

That's a whole 300? Maaaybe 400$ in parts? Forget it and be done with it. **** like that is NEVER worth the effort in the long run ....
Old 10-26-15, 08:09 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Time is money. And there's a good bit of time involved in it, not to mention effort. I second the guy above.
Old 10-26-15, 04:55 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

Well I did crosscheck all the numbers and such, and thought they had the same suspension and brakes, but I was totally wrong..

I just figured it would save some money, since I spent close to $1200 overhauling the shocks on the 95 es300, but the only thing that seems to fit is the rear shocks, and none of the brakes are really the same

01LEXPL, it is sometimes haha when you're really low on funds, like my other car for example, a parts car was well worth it

But thanks for your suggestions I will let you guys know what you guys do
Old 10-26-15, 06:52 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

The front brakes *might* work if you swap the calipers, caliper bracket, rotors and pads, since the distance between the mounting points on the steering knuckle are the same on all Camry/ES/Avalon/Solara/Sienna/Highlander/RX300 cars.

Do you have dual piston front calipers on the 95? If so, it might be worth the swap, as the 97-01 ES's only came with single piston. I've done the upgrade on my Solara and it improved high speed braking.

Old 10-26-15, 08:38 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

Yeah I was wondering that because I saw your video a long time ago on that, and man that rust is no joke there (that word doesn't exist in southern california)

and yes the 95 has the dual piston setup, not to mention, it has maybe 2-3000 miles on it

I will take it off and see.. would the 2001 calipers bolt back to the 95 es300 though? don't want it to not have brakes when I get rid of it lol

Did you have to get a bigger master cylinder?
Old 10-26-15, 09:05 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Front brakes are interchangeable if you swap everything over including the brackets. If you have 16" or bigger wheels the '91-92 LS400 calipers are a nice upgrade but you'll need the brackets from your '95 ES.
Old 10-27-15, 01:34 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Front brakes are interchangeable if you swap everything over including the brackets. If you have 16" or bigger wheels the '91-92 LS400 calipers are a nice upgrade but you'll need the brackets from your '95 ES.
thanks, thats good info, i think just the dual pistons will be good enough, 90% of the time my mom will be driving it, city only
Old 10-27-15, 03:03 AM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you're saying that if I get the 91-92 LS400 calipers and brackets it should bolt up to my 2000 ES300? I have stock 16" wheels.

I'm confused if I need the 92-96 caliper brackets or the LS400 ones will work?

I've seen a thread on Toyotanation where a guy in 2000 Camry used calipers off a 91 LS and 92-95 ES300 brackets.

On my 99 Camry I had upgraded to 96 ES300 dual piston calipers and brackets, can't really say for sure if braking was really improved, since I gave the car to my mom shortly after install and finding the my current 2000 ES300.

I'm interested in the LS calipers as they appear to have a 2 piece design that's used in higher performance calipers.

To the OP, when I bought My current ES300 I originally wanted to swap over my parts (brakes, sway bar links, stereo equipment), but since my mom expressed interest in it I gave it to her as is.
Of course what other people have said about time is money is certainly true! having to spend the time twice to remove from the old car and swap on the new doesn't really seem worth it.

Good luck with the 2001 Coach, I have a 2000 Platinum and so far loving it.
Old 10-27-15, 06:29 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

Thanks man, wow less than 50k in 2015, I don't pick it up till Friday, wanted to give the owner some time to clean it up and enjoy it, and had to work to his schedule..
awesome guy, was active military for 30 years, and still works in the military as a retiree..

I'm sure my mom will love it, I'm happy for her since she will finally have a nice car, She drove an elantra while I drove an e55 amg, and refused to buy a new , but the economy went to crap and we went broke and I got that 95 es300 by luck, cause it was cheaper than the camrys out there.. its served her well, but an upgrade is very welcome right now.. more work for me, but whatever lol, its worth it for her

if ya don't mind me asking, how much did you get that platinum for?

As far as the parts interchanging, its alot of time but I was sure I could have nailed it in one night (i prefer allnighters for cars, since I live in an apt and theres less traffic)

But I don't think I will swap the suspension, after my research it seems only a few rubber parts fit, although it would be nice to have fresh OEM rubber parts and seals, disassembling a shock/spring is lots of time..

The brakes, to me are worth it since they are all OEM components, whereas the 2001 ES has all autozone stuff and brakes are very easy..

As far as the LS400 calipers, I did a quick search, and found Lexus2000's post
And I think you have 16" wheels so it should be easy.. Lots of LS400's in the junkyards.. I may actually do it now that its so easy, and doesn't even need newer pads.

The upgrade is very straightforward, here's what you will need.
  • LS400 calipers (1991-1992)
  • Camry V6/ES300 caliper brackets (1995-1996)
    Camry V6/ES300 brake pads (1992-1996)
Just swap out all the parts and bleed the brakes, that's it. The one slightly odd thing is you will be putting the left side LS400 caliper onto the right side of the car, and vice versa. This is because the LS400 caliper is on the back side of the rotor, the ES300 on the front side. So to make it work you just swap left/right.

The only issue I had was the brake line on the banjo end hits the caliper (the aluminum sleeve part of the line) making it impossible to tighten the banjo bolt properly. To fix this, I filed the aluminum edge down, it didn't take much I removed maybe 1mm or a so of material. It doesn't affect the line in anyway you are just filing down the outer area of the sleeve. Might be possible to just bend the line, but I didn't want to do that and risk breaking it.
I'm sure he will chime in with more info, but I'm sure theres a few other upgrades
such as the dual piston setup from the 4es and such, requiring even bigger wheels..

Brake upgrades are always worth it IMO, makes a night and day difference, but since its my mom driving, the upgrade will be negligible, she does no highway driving at all.. but from previous experience, they change the car completely
Old 10-27-15, 08:13 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

LS400 calipers make a nice upgrade glad I did it. The caliper bracket can be sourced from a 1992-1996 Camry/ES according to this site but I specified '95-96 at the time because I was not sure. The rear brakes from a 1994-1999 Avalon are bigger (rotor, caliper, backplate) so that's another source for a brake upgrade.

Quick Reply: Upgrading to another Es300.. parts interchangeablity?