ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

LED conversion for DRL & Fog

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-15, 02:01 PM
GSspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED conversion for DRL & Fog

Looking for some input from you guys as far as which brand LED to get and get the best performance (ie Brightness) for the 4th gen ES330.

There are so many imported ones so not sure which is bright or the picture that is used to show the birghtness isnt just adjusted in a photo editing program to show that its brighter.

So for the Fogs its 9006
For the DRL its 9005

I got the IJDMTOY 7440A for the front turns which look really nice so wanted to compliment that with some more LED's.
Old 10-26-15, 06:59 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

How did you get the front turn signals working, did you have to use a load resistor?

I say use switchbacks in the turn signal for DRL and disable the high beam DRL in techstream. Or do the independent fog-light mod and stick LED's in the fogs as your DRL.

That way you don't loose your high beam functionality.
Old 10-26-15, 07:09 PM
GSspeed
Lead Lap

Hey there speedkar,
Yes I did use resistors. They came with them when I got it from ijdmtoys directly.

They are really nice! That's not a bad idea!
I can reuse the front turns in the rear and replace the front with switchbacks.

So make the turns a park light and turn signal?
So then I would remove the 192 bulb from the top (above the hid) just so it doesn't look like a Christmas tree... Lol

And then disable the DRL and just use the fogs as DRL/fog?
I asked around on here in regards to the fog light mod the only one I found was one for a gs. Which I had done when I had my gs. Any idea on how to get the fog light mod for the ES?

Or I can just use the DRL and the fog independently and just put LEDs in each one.

Were you able to do switchback for the turns?
Old 10-26-15, 07:53 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been shying away from cheap ebay LEDs for my ES300, I bought some sylvania (osram) wedge leds and philips festoon style LEDs but I refuse to put any china ebay bulbs in it.

From my experience, the cheap LEDs always fail in the heat management department, they'll be super bright for 6 months then fail out completely some times taking out a fuse in the process.

I prefer not to use load resistors, I saw that they sell special 3 prong Flasher relays made for LEDs but I read somewhere that the lights would no longer flash when you locked/unlocked the car. I have not tried it myself.

I believe the Fog lights are H7 and the DRL/high beams are 9005.
I assume any LED bulb with a proper heatsink would work fine in there.

From my experience, iJDMtoy LEDs are just china LEDs that they resell.

Maybe I'm getting older, or wiser or both, but I refuse to install stuff in the car that isn't oem quality or better.

But I would be interested to see what you do with yours :P
Old 10-27-15, 07:05 AM
GSspeed
Lead Lap

Right, I wish Toyota did release some type of LED upgrade for their vehicles. Since they didn't i'm trying to get good quality products.

However, eBay isn't the best place. I found Vled as a good place for leds but its VERY expensive...

Anyone have alternatives to high quality LED's?
Old 10-27-15, 11:33 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used oznium.com in the past, they have a ton of options to choose from.
Old 10-27-15, 08:10 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSspeed
Hey there speedkar,
And then disable the DRL and just use the fogs as DRL/fog?
I asked around on here in regards to the fog light mod the only one I found was one for a gs. Which I had done when I had my gs. Any idea on how to get the fog light mod for the ES?
I don't think there's a writeup for the 4ES but I don't imagine it being much different than the Gen 4 Camry, I've done it to my Solara:

I just received a 9006 LED headlight kit that I plan on trying out in the fogs. I will post up a video in a few weeks with a mini comparison review.

I also received a 7443 Red LED bulb for the tail/brake light. Output is bright, though optics aren't as great in the tail light housing causing the incandescent to appear brighter from a distance. I'll probably post a comparison video up later this week, but from what I can initially say, LED tail's aren't worth their price unless you want an "instant-on" transient.
Old 10-27-15, 09:01 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ya i used ^^^ method and here is what my looked like. I think led fog would be just for looks. Unless they are insane bright.

I liked the yellow looked on mine

Old 12-13-15, 07:13 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

For those wondering what LED fogs look like in Lexus ES and GS housings, check out this video:

LED's produce a lot of glare. So use them in housings that can handle the light output and won't produce glare like HID's.
Old 12-13-15, 10:37 AM
atlcal
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can only speak to the flashers for LEDs on my 3ES, works fine, flashes on alarm arm/disarm. No resistors needed, using LED switchbacks on the front, and LED turn signals in the rear.