ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Finally got my 2001 Coach Edition!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-15, 09:50 AM
jaredmac11
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think red was a bad color in mid 90s for several makes including e30 BMW.

I'd definitely be interested in parts. Link me to the thread!
The following users liked this post:
tzzxq (06-11-20)
Old 10-30-15, 11:40 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oro
For PS fluid, I think your year calls for Dex III also? The most common fluid people seem to use is also the synthetic MaxLife ATF. At $17/gallon (that is Walmart price; it is significantly more at most LAP stores) it is a real value for ATF and PS fluid.

If you are having leaks, look at the vane pump and hoses, you might just be able to replace a hose with off-the shelf fuel hose and solve your leak. The high-pressure return line is commonly the culprit; it hardens from heat and pressure over the years.

PS, I think right now Pennzoil has a $2/quart Platinum rebate. So $23/5 quart jug at Walmart become $13 in the end. They generally have PP in stock, but they also have High Mileage PP available if you order online and pick up a few days later in the store (no extra charge).
Yeah it's also Dex III, ah I see, guess I'll just put maxlife or mobil1 and call it a day..

There is actually no leaks right now, maybe on the return, and on the rear its starting to a little bit, but just want to change all those hoses slowly, on the 95 es300, with the hydraulic fan, they were ALL leaking.. and man were they expensive, which is why I was planning on getting em custom made, steel braided and all that good stuff, cause it was still cheaper than OEM

First time hearing about a vane pump btw, is that specific to these models? is it like an air/smog pump bmw/benz uses?

Thats an amazing price for PP!!! I'll go pick up a few jugs today, since I love that stuff.. I thought HM oils swell up seals? or is it just the formula that's different? Heard multiple things..

Originally Posted by jaredmac11
I think red was a bad color in mid 90s for several makes including e30 BMW.

I'd definitely be interested in parts. Link me to the thread!
Really? I had no problems with my hellrot e30 I think gold/champagne was a bad colors in the 90s too, lots of them I see the paint/clear coat really bad

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/66...1mzfe-era.html

Honestly just give me a best offer for whatever, i'll cut ya a deal, since the toyota guys don't seem to care for it either lol if there's nothing you need, than oh well I guess

Last edited by gabzor; 10-30-15 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-30-15, 01:01 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's funny that you guys mentioned the same ordeal I went through on my 99 Camry and my sister's 98 Camry. Both are 1MZ engines.

I'm convinced all 1MZ engines will experience leaky powersteering hoses or pumps in their lifetime.

Just a word of caution, Looks like there was some kind of leak sealer the prev owner put into the 98 camry as the reservoir was all black, like some kind of sediment I thought but it was the leak sealer. After flushing the old fluid out (speedkar9's method) and refilling with new Valvoline ATF, the car exhibited leaks. From both the vane pump and high pressure hose (hard to see cause it was under the plastic coil) the hose was cracked and fluid was seeping out running along to the pump.

I suspect the leak sealer and dirty fluid was just thick enough keep it from all leaking out. With the cleaner lower viscosity fluid there was no resistance.

On my 99 I had a small leak and had to keep refilling the reservoir once a week. I resealed the vane pump with the oem gasket kit, but that wasn't it, the High pressure hose also had a leak under the plastic coil behind the Intake manifold.

I haven't seen a leak on my '00 ES300 yet, but I'm hoping that once I flush the fluid I won't start getting leaks....
Old 10-30-15, 03:58 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

I can tell the components are aging, so I plan to change em before it turns like the 95 es300 lmao
(still no idea what a vane pump is)

Well, after driving about 200 miles, the suspension definitely needs work.. the damn car dips and bounces when I brake haha

Since money is tight I might end up doing the ordeal with transferring the rear shocks, and getting some fresh front ones, etc.. looks like 1 speaker is a little blown because it rattles on some frequencies too, hopefully I can find one at the junkyard, or is premium audio really rare?
Old 10-30-15, 04:20 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gabzor
(still no idea what a vane pump is)

hopefully I can find one at the junkyard, or is premium audio really rare?
I assume they are referring to the power-steering pump when they say Vane pump cause the inside of the pump has little blades (or vanes) that push the fluid from the inlet to the outlet.

I installed JBL 6.5" and 6x9" speakers on my 99 with a new aftermarket headunit.

I used custom speaker brackets from this website that makes them, I forget the name, the holes fit perfect but I did have to shave the rear brackets to make them fit flush.

I cut the wire harnesses off the old speakers and soldered them to the new ones, so everything fit like OEM.

For the ES300 I plan on keeping the stock headunit at least for now... As for speaker upgrades I keep seeing the Mark Levinson ones that pop up every now and then. Not sure how easy or hard it would be to get those to fit. Or I might go the same route as before and get JBL speakers with custom brackets.

Looks like the ES has the rear speakers in the doors rather than on the rear deck lid.
Old 10-30-15, 04:38 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

Mark Levinson most likely uses fiber, so you would need everything and the wiring also actually
TBH, I've heard alot of Mark Levinson systems, and the Nakamichi is much better IMO.. I'm quite an audiophile.. There was an interview, Mark Levinson didn't actually design the system or anything, it just has his name on it.. if he did design the system it would be completely different

Mark Levinson's company actually owns the whole kardon/jbl/infinity line, so you basically have a preview of how it sounds.. infinity systems lack bas imo, JBL has been in the game for a long time, and still make some great stuff (I actually use their stuff in my other car) and Harmon Kardon is the premium line of JBL basically, but they don't stack up compared to like Klipsch, JBL is a good bang for the buck though

and thanks for the info on the "vane pump" lol I'll still call it the power steering pump though.. So it makes sense that yours leaked, with the synthetic fluid, because its so much lighter, which is why I was wondering if I should just pick up some OEM stuff.. but the synthetic does really make things a bit smoother..

Hmm the red es300 actually has a nice set rockford 6x9's in the rear.. but I plan on keeping this car stock, maybe just seal up the free to air OEM sub, cause the system sounds great TBH (well when the car is parked)

I see this ES also has the wind noise issues from frameless windows, but not too bad..

Funny, cause my mom prefers the red one still, the coach edition is a bit bigger, and feels a bit more disconnected (might be cause the bad suspension) but understandable.. I may really have to sell my turbo car and drive this thing around if she really really doesn't want it lmao

Last edited by gabzor; 10-30-15 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-30-15, 05:14 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Good to know about the Mark Levinson, I guess I will have to go the JBL route with custom brackets like the last time.

I've been driving the ES around a lot these past few days, cause I want to get the new trans fluid mixed in before I do the next drain and fill, with new oem gasket and filter and finally top off with AMSOIL ATF.

I work close enough to work that I walk everyday but been trying to take the car out every other chance I get.

What I've noticed from my 99 Camry is the ES runs and shifts buttery smooth. The ride is a bit stiffer prob due to less mileage on the shocks I haven't really noticed any clunking noises from the suspension like I did on the Camry. But I do plan to change out the swaybar bushings.

There is a little bit of play in the steering wheel I have an extra set of Moog outer Tierod ends which I didn't install on the camry so I may end up installing them on the ES.

The Brake pedal engagement is perfect but the brakes feel a little spongy, I'm hoping a complete flush will help with that.

The Frameless windows always throw me off, like I don't know where to hold the door when closing. But it is a charm of the car makes it feel like a more expensive car than it really is.

It's funny your mom would prefer to drive the older car, I think it's just what she's used to. It's like wearing worn out socks, they don't look pretty but they sure are comfortable.
Old 10-30-15, 10:48 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

Why not just get a speaker that just fits? (Then again you're talking to a guy who cut bigger holes in doors for bigger speakers)

deadening goes a long way for JBL's and alot of other speakers, of JBL's have great mid range, make sure you match your amp though.. underpowered speakers sound like crap

Let me know how that ATF swap deal goes, is the differential and the tranny serviced both at once in these models with the u140e?

Heh i get the worn out socks reference, or worn out jeans haha all my worn out socks have holes and are damn uncomfy but I felt that as well.. but IDK, the older ES is kind of comfier, its a bit smaller too..

as far as PCV valve, I thought these cars came with plastic ones, mine has a metal one like the es330's do for some reason, and I can't find a metal one for the es300 on rock auto, I'm guessing some kind of retro was done?

Last edited by gabzor; 10-31-15 at 05:01 AM. Reason: PCV valve info
Old 11-06-15, 06:00 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

Well, since I made the thread, double posting shouldn't be a big deal right?
Anyways, in the process of giving her a full detail, took forever to clay it, but finally finished, sadly, the paint has alot more rock chips and rust spots, and the clearcoat is 100% gone in some places..

I have no hose so the engine bay is going to be a bit tough

the car also has a few more issues than i'd like.. but oh well thats life I guess, I just regret it cause I could have probably talked the guy some more for a better price..

So far, got new quality oil filter, drain plug, pack of gaskets, fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter, metal pcv valve, new trans filter (can't decide which fluid I should use yet) hood struts, replaced a few bulbs here and there, fixed the self leveling system, but i'll need to get a new rod for it eventually :/, new tstat, new radiator hoses, new coolant, new torque damper (i think i may have to return it and go OEM)

just had to snap a pic, those license plate leds really change the look of the car!

Last edited by gabzor; 11-06-15 at 07:10 AM.