ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Did I get a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-15, 03:15 PM
RTF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Waterfall
Looks good!

Might be able to snag a driver's side rear door at a junk yard - Same color would be the way to go!

I'd check the cooling system over if it was mine - I have an '02, and have had to replace the radiator, upper hose, coolant bypass hose (the one under the intake manifold), and the thermostat.

I don't think you'll find a better driving car for the money...
Thanks, I'll definitely look into checking all that :]
Old 11-06-15, 05:39 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

A few things you should check out: The timing belt and water pump. Make sure its been changed at that age/mileage. Also check your serpentine belts for cracks and PCV valve for functionality. Keep up on all fluid changes, brake, coolant, transmission, power steering and engine oil.

As an upgrade you might consider tail lights from an ES330. In my opinion they look more luxurious and professional than the 02-04 ES300 tail lights.

Your wheels could probably benefit from a good cleaning with rim cleaner. You'll be amazed at the difference it makes to clean rims and headlights on a used car.

I tinted my corner lights. Cheaper than the clear corners and looks reasonable.

I also got my headlights vinyl wrapped. It keeps it protected so it won't rehaze.

Old 11-06-15, 11:52 PM
RTF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by speedkar9
A few things you should check out: The timing belt and water pump. Make sure its been changed at that age/mileage. Also check your serpentine belts for cracks and PCV valve for functionality. Keep up on all fluid changes, brake, coolant, transmission, power steering and engine oil.

As an upgrade you might consider tail lights from an ES330. In my opinion they look more luxurious and professional than the 02-04 ES300 tail lights.

Your wheels could probably benefit from a good cleaning with rim cleaner. You'll be amazed at the difference it makes to clean rims and headlights on a used car.

I tinted my corner lights. Cheaper than the clear corners and looks reasonable.

I also got my headlights vinyl wrapped. It keeps it protected so it won't rehaze.

Blue Vinyl Headlight Wrap - YouTube
That is sweet!! I'll definitely be doing that vinyl cover. And I agree, I like the all red taillights better, it was something I was wondering because I didn't know if they would fit or were exactly the same
Old 11-07-15, 07:22 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too was thinking of upgrading the taillights to the later units, something about the white circle in the middle just bothers me. I can't justify it right now and I've kind of gotten used to them anyway. Then again, I could always "upgrade" to these bad boys.

...or not.

Damn Speedkar9, you have a video for EVERYTHING. People should buy you cars just to get all the awesome content you create for their community. YOU ARE THE MAN! Thanks again! May you wake up one morning with an "abandoned" MR2 or RX-7 in your driveway and the title in the glovebox.

Last edited by JetsonES; 11-07-15 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-07-15, 03:15 PM
RTF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JetsonES
I too was thinking of upgrading the taillights to the later units, something about the white circle in the middle just bothers me. I can't justify it right now and I've kind of gotten used to them anyway. Then again, I could always "upgrade" to these bad boys.

Damn Speedkar9, you have a video for EVERYTHING. People should buy you cars just to get all the awesome content you create for their community. YOU ARE THE MAN! Thanks again! May you wake up one morning with an "abandoned" MR2 or RX-7 in your driveway and the title in the glovebox.
Sweeet. In due time.. In due time..
Old 11-07-15, 03:20 PM
RTF
Driver School Candidate

Almost there..
Old 11-08-15, 01:34 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice car, nice price.

Clear corners look as tacky as the amber... you want to be original, and the first amidst 10+ people on here with clear corners?

Pop them out, and.... PAINT them.

Those are so redundant, you have running lights in the upper headlight. Stuff an LED in there and you'd never know you had a need for bumper markers...

I almost bought one of these things, that was step one. Remove & paint bumper lights to match car color.

Oh yeah, if you do go this route, I'd recommend removing the bulb so that it may not shine thru!
Old 11-08-15, 06:30 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Nice car, nice price.

Clear corners look as tacky as the amber... you want to be original, and the first amidst 10+ people on here with clear corners?

Pop them out, and.... PAINT them.

Those are so redundant, you have running lights in the upper headlight. Stuff an LED in there and you'd never know you had a need for bumper markers...

I almost bought one of these things, that was step one. Remove & paint bumper lights to match car color.

Oh yeah, if you do go this route, I'd recommend removing the bulb so that it may not shine thru!
Back on these forums a lot, you thinking of getting rid of the subaru and getting back into another Lexus?
Old 11-09-15, 11:12 AM
MrBsfirst
Driver School Candidate

The main reason I purchased my son a 2004 ES330 was because of the recent services performed to the vehicle including the timing chain which if you add it all up, probably was $1500-2000 give or take so hopefully those service records include some recent major service. Otherwise it looks good.
Old 11-10-15, 12:28 PM
RTF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBsfirst
The main reason I purchased my son a 2004 ES330 was because of the recent services performed to the vehicle including the timing chain which if you add it all up, probably was $1500-2000 give or take so hopefully those service records include some recent major service. Otherwise it looks good.
I'll double check what was done today. Just been busy. I'll update
Old 11-11-15, 12:38 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JetsonES
Yeah, rims get a bit expensive. I find the best value to be used oem takeoffs, it's amazing what you can get them for, sometimes it's hardly over scrap value. One member got a set for $60, I recently saw a set of IS rims on Craigslist for $100. I get the compulsion to switch up when my tires get worn down and then I start lurking on Craigslist for deals. Drives the wife crazy, but it's cheap fun for me and I can usually resell and recoup the money if I change again.

And the junkyard solution might be the cheapest way to fix that door, that color is very common. I'll see if I can dig up a link.
Which oem rims are you looking at? I know people like the is and Ls ones but not sure what years
Old 11-11-15, 04:46 AM
Goldenhunt
Driver School Candidate

I think that it is only trifles. The seat can be to stick with something, but the door - well, what do you want? the machine is not new. It seems to me that this is sounding like an option for beginners. Somebody will take.
Old 11-11-15, 07:11 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

I have SC430 wheels on my ES300. They were $250 with 50 to 60% tread left on the tires. I needed new tires at the time so it worked for me. A quick look at the local dfw Craigslist shows the following under "oem lexus wheels" you could also search "oem toyota wheels" as they will pretty much all fit. You just have to check Craigslist a lot as the good deals go fast. I have seen cheaper in the past. There are also more sets but I limited my post to $500 or less. Some crackheads want $2000 for their old stock wheels, I have a feeling they will be sitting on them a while.

17" $275

18" $375

18" $475

Last edited by JetsonES; 11-11-15 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-11-15, 07:20 AM
Zacharias
Driver School Candidate

So if I understand this, the wheels for Lexus RWD and FWD models interchange?

That is rare but it sure makes life easier!
Old 11-11-15, 07:33 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

For the most part yes they indeed do. Toyota is really good about parts interchangeability, Honda is good about this as well.

Quick Reply: Did I get a good deal?