ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Did I get a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-15, 11:51 AM
RTF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I get a good deal?

I paid $700 down for this 2003 Lexus ES300. From my boss. Not a dealership. Verbal agreement of $4,000 total. $250 a month. 133,XXX miles. Damage to driver side rear door, tear in front seat, and passenger window doesn't roll down all the way, but still works. Going to clean headlight, and getting tint. Paying $120 to get sear repaired. Is there anything else I should check out with this car? I am second owner and have full service record. My first Lexus, I love it. Also I am new to this forum, sorry if I made any mistakes. Also I have a question, what are clear corner lights?

2003 ES300

Came with chrome stock wheels

The only exterior damage. Dent in driver side rear door.

Tear in driver seat.
Old 11-05-15, 12:06 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like a fair price to me. Clear corners would be clear plastic instead of the amber plastic on the bumpers. That door damage is pretty minimal and shouldn't Cort too much to repair. Colgate will clear those lights right up. As far as cars go they are a pretty solid platform, nice, comfortable, reliable.
Old 11-05-15, 01:40 PM
Zacharias
Driver School Candidate

What Jetson said.

Look around at what else you can get for $4k, with full service records. Also I assume this is no-interest financing (unless Mr. Boss figured in cost of money in the price LOL).

I think you did really well, the car looks great and you can address the warts when you want.

There are kits out there to repair leather tears like that. Check out companies like Bill Hirsch and Eastwood.

Congratulations on the car!
Old 11-05-15, 03:19 PM
RTF
Driver School Candidate

Yes thank you guys. I love it! It's got a moon roof, I don't know if that was stock, and the rims are pretty nice. I want to one day change the CD player to a deck or screen but who knows. She runs very nice and I love the car a lot. I do have one more question if you guys could help me out, I've already committed to getting the seat repaired for $120, they will replace that one whole rectangular piece, they said the seat needs to be removed, I am wondering if there is a complicated process for removing the seat? Like wires and such.
Old 11-05-15, 07:45 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

There will.be wiring harnesses but they will be fairly easy to unclip. The biggest issue will probably just be the weight and bulk of the whole thing. Remove the headrest first for ease of extraction. I bieve moonroofs are a stock feature. I will probably replace the radio as well one day but I find it adequate for now. Planning any other mods? There is a pretty limited selection for these cars. Mostly suspension and wheels.
Old 11-05-15, 09:21 PM
RTF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JetsonES
There will.be wiring harnesses but they will be fairly easy to unclip. The biggest issue will probably just be the weight and bulk of the whole thing. Remove the headrest first for ease of extraction. I bieve moonroofs are a stock feature. I will probably replace the radio as well one day but I find it adequate for now. Planning any other mods? There is a pretty limited selection for these cars. Mostly suspension and wheels.
Thanks I appreciate the info. And hmm I'm not too sure. I'm thinking eventually maybe a small body kit that looks clean. I'd love to get it to look somewhat like this one day
Old 11-06-15, 07:18 AM
Zacharias
Driver School Candidate

$120 is a good price for the work on the seat, assuming they can match the leather properly.

That photo you posted reminds me that I am impressed at how good the ES looks with that style of wheel, which IMO is a classic look that I expect to work better on older cars.
Old 11-06-15, 07:51 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Mesh looks great on these cars. I saw an interesting take on the mesh style in this thread, most examples are a lille large in diameter for my tastes but a pretty cool version nonetheless.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...cave-mesh.html
Old 11-06-15, 10:45 AM
RTF
Driver School Candidate

I agree that those type of rims typically were for older model vehicles, but they look so nice when done right on new vehicles. Those pictures are sweet! I'm not sure yet what rims I'd get, for now, at least financially, the rims I have on will do. I've never even had chrome rims before, this is my second car, I'm 22. My first car was a green 94 dodge intrepid es, still have it but its been in the shop for the last 4 months for a new wiring harness.. I think the shop messed it up, but part of the deal is when I get it back, I sell it and give the money towards my owed $4,000 total
Old 11-06-15, 11:07 AM
Waterfall
Driver School Candidate

Looks good!

Might be able to snag a driver's side rear door at a junk yard - Same color would be the way to go!

I'd check the cooling system over if it was mine - I have an '02, and have had to replace the radiator, upper hose, coolant bypass hose (the one under the intake manifold), and the thermostat.

I don't think you'll find a better driving car for the money...
Old 11-06-15, 11:17 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Yeah, rims get a bit expensive. I find the best value to be used oem takeoffs, it's amazing what you can get them for, sometimes it's hardly over scrap value. One member got a set for $60, I recently saw a set of IS rims on Craigslist for $100. I get the compulsion to switch up when my tires get worn down and then I start lurking on Craigslist for deals. Drives the wife crazy, but it's cheap fun for me and I can usually resell and recoup the money if I change again.

And the junkyard solution might be the cheapest way to fix that door, that color is very common. I'll see if I can dig up a link.

Last edited by JetsonES; 11-06-15 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-06-15, 11:28 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Ok, here is the site, very handy. Tons of junkyards list parts here and a quick search in my area turned up lots of results ranging from about $100 to $350 prices will vary depending on the condition and completeness of the part.

Heck, you might even be able to find a seat on there as well, it's worth a shot.

http://www.car-part.com

Last edited by JetsonES; 11-06-15 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-06-15, 12:57 PM
TomsCelica
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice deal. Clean up the headlights and have them clear coated. Someone try to pry the door open? People are pathetic... And I need clear side markers too, I hate the orange. I'd tint the windows too, these cars look naked without. Haha!
Old 11-06-15, 03:09 PM
RTF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JetsonES
Ok, here is the site, very handy. Tons of junkyards list parts here and a quick search in my area turned up lots of results ranging from about $100 to $350 prices will vary depending on the condition and completeness of the part.

Heck, you might even be able to find a seat on there as well, it's worth a shot.

http://www.car-part.com
Thanks I appreciate it!
Old 11-06-15, 03:10 PM
RTF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TomsCelica
Nice deal. Clean up the headlights and have them clear coated. Someone try to pry the door open? People are pathetic... And I need clear side markers too, I hate the orange. I'd tint the windows too, these cars look naked without. Haha!
Yes I got the clear coat already, just have to get around to cleaning them first ha. And it's getting tinted on Monday! I'm excited

Quick Reply: Did I get a good deal?