ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Cabin room: 2ES vs. 3ES (or later models)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-15, 07:19 AM
Zacharias
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabin room: 2ES vs. 3ES (or later models)

I recently acquired a 2ES and I love it.

I especially like the seats as I have lower back problems and these seats are way more comfortable for my back than my last vehicle.

The only issue I have is that I would kill for an inch or so more legroom. I am 6 ft 4 ins and my legs are a bit too long for the distance from the seat to the pedals... this shows up on longer drives as I can never get properly comfortable.

I am wondering if there were any gains with later models in terms of legroom. I ask particularly about the 3ES as I like that body style.

I understand not many will likely be able to answer on this, as you'd have to have sat in a 2ES and a 3ES in order to know....

Thought I would throw it out anyway.
Old 11-09-15, 03:36 PM
atlcal
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You could use the specs on Edmund's site to compare.

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/es-300/...eatures-specs/
http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/es-300/...eatures-specs/

After driving both, I don't really recall a legroom difference, but I'm short, and don't run the seat all the way back, so my input really isn't much use for you, but maybe those specs will help a bit. From what I saw going through the years, the max legroom doesn't change much, though there's more hip/shoulder room as the years go by.
Old 11-09-15, 10:20 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i own both, my 3es has more room in the back, as it is a bit longer, but my 2es is a bit more comfy up front..

i'm only 5'8 and my leg always hits the side thing on 3es, on the 2es it doesn't
Old 11-10-15, 07:36 AM
Zacharias
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info, altcal and gabzor.

Altcal, I was not aware that Edmunds had that info. Consumer Reports used to publish it, but I believe they stopped some years back.
Old 11-10-15, 03:09 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

yeah sadly, if you want more space, the GS or the LS might just be the way to go, or maybe a 4ES, i know a few guys who are around your size, and drive a 4ES, although 2/3 got bored and traded for a g37 lol
Old 11-10-15, 06:46 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

If you really want to upgrade your legroom, believe it or not, a 2 door coupe will offer you much more space than a 4 door sedan, of course at the expense of rear seat passengers. My Toyota Solara has much more legroom than any sedan I've driven, or even my dad's Sienna minivan, because the chair can slide so far back and your legs stretch straight forward. I actually get on my tippy toes touching the pedals while looking back reversing.

I always drive with the seat pushed fully back and I'm 5'10".

I can also tell you between a 4ES and a Gen 5 Camry, even though these cars have the same body style and are based on the same platform, there is a difference in the legroom. Since the 4ES's seats are much bulkier than the Camry, rear seat legroom is significantly tighter, while front seat legroom is slightly shorter.
Old 11-10-15, 06:58 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

An LS would probably be where it's at if you are cramped in the ES. I want one, they are quite nice.
Old 11-11-15, 07:05 AM
Zacharias
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. As I really, really like this car, I will live with the legroom for now.

Oh, yes, I have been scanning the online ads for both LSs and another 2es of maybe 3es, I am that smitten with the car. I usually buy well outside my area, to minimize,e road salt damage.

I am getting quite an education, though. Not many for sale... Anywhere! Coming from the euro world, that is big wakeup call on whose cars have massive owner loyalty and who hangs on to their cars.

All I can say is, wow.

Was chatting with a friend last night who is looking for lightly used 4Runner. Same thing, they just aren't there.
Old 11-11-15, 07:14 AM
Zacharias
Driver School Candidate

Just to add, my issue with my current car is that I will need to make a decision on the body. It was the victim of incompetent rust repair (fender arches, roof leading edge) previously and those patches are lifting now. Plus new rust on the rear doglegs.

Given the value of the car now, I will have to want to fix it for my own satisfaction, if you see what I mean. Overall less trouble to find another one from a "dry" area, then keep this one as a winter car.

A Lexus winter beater... What a concept
Old 11-11-15, 07:29 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

I hear you. Throw some naval jelly or por-15 on it to stop the rust while it is still fresh and before the roads get too salty probably some spray primer and a quick spray of paint as well due to the absorbent nature of primer, nothing too extensive, just enough to get by and minimize rust creep. It wouldn't be a bad winter beater, fwd usually does ok in the ice to an extent, awd is awesome, rwd is terrifying.