ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

05 Es modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-15 | 07:46 AM
Saucebot55
Driver School Candidate

Default 05 Es modifications?

I recently was given an 05 Es 300 and really like the car but I'm one of those people who always want to improve things! So what could I add to the car to give it more horsepower and that extra speed?
Old 11-14-15 | 08:38 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Not too much.

This platform is not well supported by the aftermarket so a lot of things would have to be custom. Just off the top of my head you could replace the intake, the muffler looks fairly restrictive so you could replace that, you could bypass the coolant hoses that heat the throttle body, and last but not least there is always the TRD supercharger. Nitrous could also be an option, I have never heard of anyone using it on an es300 but we would love a guinea pig.

In the handling department, the best bang for the buck would be a TRD or Whiteline rear sway bar. Really tightens the car up and reduces understeer and body roll. There are also lowering springs or coilovers available for stiffening things up.

Wider wheels will help handling a lot and look good, used OEM are the way to go as people tend to dump them on the market cheap and most all of them will fit, maybe needing a 5mm spacer in rear if you go really wide. Some of the newer offerings are really quite nice looking and you can usually get into a set with tires for under $ 500. I got my sc430 wheels with 50 percent tread left for $250. Craigslist is your friend for cheap wheels.
Old 11-14-15 | 08:54 AM
Saucebot55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JetsonES
Not too much.

This platform is not well supported by the aftermarket so a lot of things would have to be custom. Just off the top of my head you could replace the intake, the muffler looks fairly restrictive so you could replace that, you could bypass the coolant hoses that heat the throttle body, and last but not least there is always the TRD supercharger. Nitrous could also be an option, I have never heard of anyone using it on an es300 but we would love a guinea pig.

In the handling department, the best bang for the buck would be a TRD or Whiteline rear sway bar. Really tightens the car up and reduces understeer and body roll. There are also lowering springs or coilovers available for stiffening things up.

Wider wheels will help handling a lot and look good, used OEM are the way to go as people tend to dump them on the market cheap and most all of them will fit, maybe needing a 5mm spacer in rear if you go really wide. Some of the newer offerings are really quite nice looking and you can usually get into a set with tires for under $ 500. I got my sc430 wheels with 50 percent tread left for $250. Craigslist is your friend for cheap wheels.
I was looking into some cold air intake systems and exhaust kits but couldn't find any air intakes that fit my car and I need a recommendation on the exhaust because I want sorta like a heavy quality sound!
Old 11-14-15 | 09:23 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

A camry intake may fit. You could always go the universal route. I don't know what If any gains are to be had besides sound. I think the exhaust is going to have to be custom as well. You will probably only be doing the muffler, again I don't know what the gains will be but it does appear quirk restrictive to me. MagnaFlow makes very nice mufflers.

Do your thing,it's your car!

Personally all I have done is the sway bar and wheels, the intake and exhaust are so well engineered for quietness that I can't bring myself to modify them.
Old 11-14-15 | 10:41 AM
Saucebot55
Driver School Candidate

A camry intake may fit. You could always go the universal route. I don't know what If any gains are to be had besides sound. I think the exhaust is going to have to be custom as well. You will probably only be doing the muffler, again I don't know what the gains will be but it does appear quirk restrictive to me. MagnaFlow makes very nice mufflers.

Do your thing,it's your car!

Personally all I have done is the sway bar and wheels, the intake and exhaust are so well engineered for quietness that I can't bring myself to modify them.
Ok thanks I'm going to try to look into that universal fit for the Camry but also, would it be better to get a muffler or new exhaust kit and if so any link of suggestions?
Old 11-14-15 | 11:31 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

I don't know of any kits. But usually going from the catalytic converter back is oprimal. 2.5" is probably more than enough. It's a pretty straight shot then a turn at the end before the muffler so any welder should be able to make something fairly cheap.
Old 11-14-15 | 11:36 AM
Saucebot55
Driver School Candidate

I don't know of any kits. But usually going from the catalytic converter back is oprimal. 2.5" is probably more than enough. It's a pretty straight shot then a turn at the end before the muffler so any welder should be able to make something fairly cheap.
Alright thanks I'm definitely going to try and look into that!
Old 11-14-15 | 01:34 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Cool, post back with what you come up with. You shouldn't need much, just some flanges, piping and a muffler. I'd probably keep the stock pieces and not cut anything up so if you end up selling it someday it can be returned to stock. Same with the intake.
Old 11-14-15 | 09:14 PM
JCC511
Pit Crew

I just got a '95 ES 300 myself and have been wondering much of the same. I would like to go with TRD on as much as I can. Does anyone have a guide or a list of what TRD has available for this vehicle? Cold air intake and exhaust would be nice and I like the idea of the rear sway bar to tighten up the suspension.
Old 11-14-15 | 09:18 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

"Cold-air" intakes are usually great for two things: giving away money to the company for zero-to-negative gains and adding a nice setup that will suck up hot air instead of cooler air. But at least it'll make cool sounds to make up for it.
Old 11-15-15 | 02:10 AM
Saucebot55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NickTee
"Cold-air" intakes are usually great for two things: giving away money to the company for zero-to-negative gains and adding a nice setup that will suck up hot air instead of cooler air. But at least it'll make cool sounds to make up for it.
Well then what else would you suggest to give the car extra horsepower?
Old 11-15-15 | 06:53 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by Saucebot55
Well then what else would you suggest to give the car extra horsepower?
Why do you need extra hp unless you are drag racing?

I would sink any extra money into better stereo, tires, or just plain maintenance.
Old 11-15-15 | 06:56 AM
Saucebot55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tradosauru
Why do you need extra hp unless you are drag racing?

I would sink any extra money into better stereo, tires, or just plain maintenance.
I have 12inch kicker subs, also brand new tires and maintenance is very well maintained, I just like fast cars lol but I understand where your coming from!
Old 11-15-15 | 06:59 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Please post pictures. I am in the market for a used Lexus and like to see various colors and conditions of Lexus.
Old 11-15-15 | 07:00 AM
Saucebot55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tradosauru
Please post pictures. I am in the market for a used Lexus and like to see various colors and conditions of Lexus.
What model were you looking for? ES?

Quick Reply: 05 Es modifications?