ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Repair or swap engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 11:55 AM
chiefnomad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair or swap engine?

Got a 2002 ES300 as a gift from my father in law. Car was their extra family car and he didn't want it parked there anymore. Got it checked out since its been neglected and heres what it needs:

- Replace valve cover gasket
- Replace timing belt, water pump, cam seals, crank seals
- Replace upper engine mount
- Replace front trans. mount
- Replace alternator

There's a few other things but not directly related to the engine or its external components. Was wondering if you guys recommend repairing them or does it make more sense to buy another motor from a salvage for the cost of about $1000 and installation of $500.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 01-25-16, 12:20 PM
Tiir
Driver School Candidate

I would just fix all the stuff you listed, all of it is pretty common stuff that's maintenance related as far as wear & tear goes. Since the car was in the family you have a general idea of its condition compared to some salvage yard engine that could of been abused for all you know.
Old 01-25-16, 01:10 PM
mmatheny
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How many miles on it?
Old 01-25-16, 02:04 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All those items you listed are what you would normally expect for a 14 year old car...

See if you can do some of the work yourself.

I would start with the Valve cover gaskets, go watch speedkar9's videos on youtube, I always learn something new when watching his videos.

With the valve covers off, it's also a good idea to change spark plugs as the rear ones are a real pain to get to if with the Intake manifold in the way.

As for Alternator, get a Denso Aftermarket (technically not aftermarket) it's the same oem that Toyota uses in their cars.

The CAM and Crank seals can be done with the timing belt.
Get an AISIN kit from ebay, look for one that includes a new thermostat w/ gasket, all pulleys, tensioner, drive belts etc. the more complete the kit the better your car will be.

Most of the engine mounts can be done without going to a shop, but the rear one you might want to leave that to the pros.
Old 01-25-16, 02:27 PM
mmatheny
Instructor

Yeah, upper engine mount is a 5 minute job.
Old 01-25-16, 04:35 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 313 Posts

Most of the engine mounts can be done without going to a shop, but the rear one you might want to leave that to the pros.

Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...#ixzz3yJ2IE5Be
There is no rear mount on a 2002. There are only three lower mounts, left (tranny), right (engine), and front. This is the source of the notorious "clunk" you feel sometimes on low shifts on the 4ES. Even with all new mounts you cannot entirely eliminate it, and it gets obnoxious if a mount breaks.
Old 01-25-16, 05:20 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oro
There is no rear mount on a 2002. There are only three lower mounts, left (tranny), right (engine), and front. This is the source of the notorious "clunk" you feel sometimes on low shifts on the 4ES. Even with all new mounts you cannot entirely eliminate it, and it gets obnoxious if a mount breaks.
Interesting, my experience comes mostly from working on our 98, 99 Camry and my 00 ES.

I think those years were the most service friendly, at least in my opinion. the 2nd gen might be easier, being it has less electronics.

I wonder if they do something different on the rest of the mounts to share the weight with no rear mount.

I just survived changing a rear engine mount on an '01 Honda Odyssey, a 3-4hr job turned into a 10hr one we used an aftermarket mount which make it difficult getting the hole to line up!

Just a word of advice, oem parts can shave hours of hard labor! Use OEM when ever possible unless you rather have scratched up arms and a sore body for the next few days! lol.

Last edited by 808mcv20l; 01-25-16 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-25-16, 05:43 PM
chiefnomad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tiir
I would just fix all the stuff you listed, all of it is pretty common stuff that's maintenance related as far as wear & tear goes. Since the car was in the family you have a general idea of its condition compared to some salvage yard engine that could of been abused for all you know.
I was inclined to do that. I think I'll just go ahead and bring it back up to speed and keep it. Selling it and trying to get in another one is a headache not to mention, can't beat the price tag, $0
Old 01-25-16, 05:44 PM
chiefnomad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmatheny
How many miles on it?
169,000. From what I know, the ES's of that generation as well as Toyota Camry can give you 400-500k so long as they're taken care of.
Old 01-25-16, 05:47 PM
chiefnomad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 808mcv20l
All those items you listed are what you would normally expect for a 14 year old car...

See if you can do some of the work yourself.

I would start with the Valve cover gaskets, go watch speedkar9's videos on youtube, I always learn something new when watching his videos.

With the valve covers off, it's also a good idea to change spark plugs as the rear ones are a real pain to get to if with the Intake manifold in the way.

As for Alternator, get a Denso Aftermarket (technically not aftermarket) it's the same oem that Toyota uses in their cars.

The CAM and Crank seals can be done with the timing belt.
Get an AISIN kit from ebay, look for one that includes a new thermostat w/ gasket, all pulleys, tensioner, drive belts etc. the more complete the kit the better your car will be.

Thanks for the detailed feedback man. I'll go ahead and do that actually and knock out the stuff that doesn't require visiting a shop then just leave the ones that absolutely must be done there. Should save me at least $500-800 in labor, at least.
Old 01-27-16, 06:23 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oro
Hmmm - I was going to post about a clunk when driving, letting off the gas, then tapping the gas again. Almost like a bad U-joint on a RWD vehicle! So this is what it is and it's unfixable? I asked my mechanic if my mounts were good and he said they were.