ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

How bad is it to floor your car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-03, 12:16 AM
DK Audio
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How bad is it to floor your car?

I'm wondering because I always feel really bad and guilty after I do it. I try not to do it much but sometimes it's really hard to resist. I also want to do some performance mods to my car in the future but if it is really bad to floor your car then I probably won't because it would not be worth the money. Thanks
Old 04-19-03, 01:56 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not bad and don't feel bad just make sure your car is running in good shape cause flooring it runs it hotter and the trans and coolant get hotter faster and you want the car properly cooling the fluid and cleaner newer fluid works better under your hard driving then fluid that is dirty and in need of a change, hence overheating

One more tip is I usually coast home the last mile or 2 to give the engine time to cool rather than just turn it off at it's hottest

Last edited by <VENOM>; 04-19-03 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-19-03, 03:01 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i think it depends.
if you are gradually accelerating, and eventually get to the point where the pedal touches the floor (its flooring still, right?), it's better than going from a dead stop and flooring it suddenly. what wear THAT must be on the tranny/torque converter.
Old 04-19-03, 06:34 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

don't do it on a cold motor either.

sj
Old 04-19-03, 08:04 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

mezoom and steviej explained well
it is a good idea to open a car up ,just there is alot more force placed on a car when this is done from a dead stop
by opening up or WOT ( wide open throttle) the engine is ingesting large volumes of air and gas at a fast rate this is good as it helps to remove debris and carbon buildup from the chanber and valves
which will lowers gas milage and performance
so a good highway drive is a really good thing 40 minutes straight is close to doing that also but not as forceful to remove tough debris
a good time is when getting on to an on ramp when already moving slow
if it is a straight one ,to open the car up and then slow down a bit to get to rated speed of the road
atleast that is what i like to do
short drives especially have a larger bulid up of varnish in the intake( from cold start increasing the amount of fuel ,so when the car is turned off the gas vapours just sit in the plenum intake(evaporated gas leaks by the valves into it as they are open) as the throttle is closed keeping it in their to become varnish deposits
this usually takes a good intake spray cleaner to clean up as it is before the injectors and fuel treatments cannot reach them( also will help rough idles)

my wifes car is 5 minutes a day driven i have to clean the tract every 6 months and it almost never goes on the highway
Old 04-19-03, 11:38 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Re: How bad is it to floor your car?

Originally posted by DK Audio
I'm wondering because I always feel really bad and guilty after I do it. I try not to do it much but sometimes it's really hard to resist. I also want to do some performance mods to my car in the future but if it is really bad to floor your car then I probably won't because it would not be worth the money. Thanks
It's bad to floor your car if you do it at almost every occassion. It is especially bad when you floor the car when the engine is not at it's optimal/normal temperature range. Like Rena (meZoom!) explained, press the gas pedal gradually. The 1MZ-FE V6's computer doesn't really react well when you just mash the pedal to the floor. Give it gradual pressure as you accelerate, and it will actually go faster than if you just just put the pedal to the metal. But if you expect your Lexus to give you years of service, flooring it is really not the best option in most situations.
Old 04-19-03, 07:30 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

flipside909 has also higlighted the perfect way to get very rapid acceleration in an '02 ES without getting the downshift hesitation that comes with flat out flooring the pedal. Anyone with an '02 will understand the dilema.
Old 04-20-03, 10:23 PM
aznchild808
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yah but again its soooo much fun to just mash the thing =)

SUGI