ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Sears Brake estimation, I almost cried

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-03, 07:15 PM
Rit&Booner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sears Brake estimation, I almost cried

I went to Sears today to get my brakes fixed, I knew it needed a new right front rotor and pads but they estimated and checked all four brakes which came to $1,127.59.

1 CERAMIC, BRK PADS $89.99
1 REAR BRAKE, QLTY DISC SERV (LABOR) $60.00
1FRONT BRAKE, QLTY DISC SER (LABOR) $60.00
1 BRAKE ROTOR $79.99
2 BRAKE HUB, REAR $312.00
2 REMAN 1/2, SHAFT LOC PURCH $234.36
2 INSTALL, CV HALF SHAFT (LABOR) $149.98

TOTAL LABOR CAME TO $284.98. Tax was $36.28 BUT WHAT'S A BRAKE HUB, REAR? Is that really necessary to replace on my 95 ES300? Another thing, brake pads are more cheaper at local auto stores, couldn't I buy them there and have Sears install it with the new rotor?

I didn't have it done because for one thing, the price, then I didn't have the time and they didn't have the rotor in stock. What do you guys suggest? I can replace the pads myself but I don't know how to do the rotor. I need to have some money in the bank after all this.....oh another problem they found involved the engine. Damn...the motor mount was ******ed. The rubber piece was torn up and each time the technician pressed the gas, the entire engine popped up and back down. Damn damn damn.........gonna go see Lexus dealer tomorrow about that.
Old 04-21-03, 08:54 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. The rear brakes on the ES are drum-in-disc style. They have a rotor and a drum. the rotor is for the rear disc brakes for stopping. The emergency/parking brake mechanism is inside the drum. Rather than replace, how much would Sears charge to resurface the rotor and drum without replacement. Does anyone actually "turn" rotors and drums anymore?
2. You are being quoted for ceramic pads, that is why they are $90/set.
3. The big question I have for you, why are you replacing both 1/2 shafts. This is not normally done on brake jobs. Are your CV joints going?

Either way, the prices are competative to what's in my area.

Labor seems about right (cheaper than Lexus) $60.00/hour....not bad.

Overall, you are doing the right thing...shop around, get different pricing.
Show Lexus, the Sears quote. See if they will beat it. The motor mount is a must. Left unfixed, it will cause greater problems.

post with an update.

steviej
Old 04-21-03, 09:14 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it is alittle high priced to me
if you can change pads and have the tools you can change the rotors
don't waste the money they are charging to have them refininshed
no extra tools to remove teh rotors
just remove the caliper bracket and tap with a hammer
not sure of the other parts as you didn't say why you where there if it was for a problem or just a brake inspection
Old 04-21-03, 09:24 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Sorry to say this, but I really think you got ripped. It probably wasn't necessary to change out the rear brake hubs. Even if you have more than 100k miles.
Old 04-22-03, 12:46 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well, you got a new set of brakes to ride on now. it's not like you paid a thousand bucks for them to do nothing. just make sure they actually replaced all those parts and did all that labor, and not just write you up for it. you can go happily brake away now.

oh yeah, and if your motor mount and/or dogbone piece is worn, DON'T go around showing people how worn it is or drive all crazy....cuz if your engine is moving that bad, your air hose is next, which will eventually cause a check engine light and make your car drive all crazy (in a slow, sucky way).
Old 04-22-03, 11:42 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Sears Brake estimation, I almost cried

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rit&Booner

I didn't have it done because for one thing, the price, then I didn't have the time and they didn't have the rotor in stock. What do you guys suggest?

He hasn't been ripped yet.
Old 04-22-03, 12:24 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Default Re: Re: Sears Brake estimation, I almost cried

Originally posted by steviej

He hasn't been ripped yet. [/B]
Whew okay. I read through it too fast. Hopefully he'll go somewhere else for his other brake repairs if needed.
Old 04-22-03, 02:33 PM
Rit&Booner
Driver

I went to Lexus dealership today but they wouldn't check my car because I needed to make an appointment first...the earliest date they got was next Thursday May 1. The person there looked at the Sears estimation and said it shouldn't cost that much...so Sears was trying to rip me off. I'll probably have Lexus repair the brakes and have them fix the motor mount definitely. I'll let yall know what's up next week.
Old 04-22-03, 09:59 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

I would take it to Lexus. I would only have Lexus or a quality independent shop that specializes in Lexus change a motor mount.
Old 04-22-03, 10:06 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally posted by squarehat
I would take it to Lexus. I would only have Lexus or a quality independent shop that specializes in Lexus change a motor mount.
A Toyota dealer can do the exact same thing for probably a fraction of the cost. 3VZ-FE or 1MZ-FE.

Last edited by flipside909; 04-22-03 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-28-03, 05:14 PM
Rit&Booner
Driver

Default Re: Sears Brake estimation, I almost cried

Originally posted by Rit&Booner
I went to Sears today to get my brakes fixed, I knew it needed a new right front rotor and pads but they estimated and checked all four brakes which came to $1,127.59.

1 REAR BRAKE, QLTY DISC SERV (LABOR) $60.00
1FRONT BRAKE, QLTY DISC SER (LABOR) $60.00
1 BRAKE ROTOR $79.99
2 BRAKE HUB, REAR $312.00
2 REMAN 1/2, SHAFT LOC PURCH $234.36
2 INSTALL, CV HALF SHAFT (LABOR) $149.98

TOTAL LABOR CAME TO $284.98. Tax was $36.28 BUT WHAT'S A BRAKE HUB, REAR? Is that really necessary to replace on my 95 ES300? Another thing, brake pads are more cheaper at local auto stores, couldn't I buy them there and have Sears install it with the new rotor?

I didn't have it done because for one thing, the price, then I didn't have the time and they didn't have the rotor in stock. What do you guys suggest? I can replace the pads myself but I don't know how to do the rotor. I need to have some money in the bank after all this.....oh another problem they found involved the engine. Damn...the motor mount was ******ed. The rubber piece was torn up and each time the technician pressed the gas, the entire engine popped up and back down. Damn damn damn.........gonna go see Lexus dealer tomorrow about that.

Here's an update. I took my car to Toyota and had it repaired today. They replaced 2 front rotors, 2 front pads, 2 rear pads and fixed the motor mount......total came to $889. So it is cheaper than what Sears estimated. Toyota also had a brake pads specially priced today so I saved $102. But Toyota's labor for pads and rotors were $65 ($5 more than Sears).

Price for rear pads was $66, front $65, 2 front rotors $223, Dogbone engine mount $58.99, Front engine mount (Insulator) $156.45....basically all the labor was $65 each. Total labor cost $390, Total Parts cost $575.99.

Toyota Technician also saw that both CV boots busted, cost to replace would be $564. He also discovered Valve cover gaskets are leaking oil, cost to fix $411. Then he also saw Down Pipe on exhaust is almost pinched closed, cost to fix ....get ready for this one, $1,737. Lexus may charge $2,500.

I'll go head and get the leaking oil fix like next week or 2, but for the exhaust thingy? Forget that.
CV boots busted are whats causing my steering to make clicking noise, I should fix that too since it's annoying.

Well I hope this information would help some other people.
Hey did they install ceramic pads or cheaper pads? Part number 04466-32010....can you find out for me?
Old 04-29-03, 12:11 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Probably gave you the OEM Toyota pads which squeal WAY less than aftermarket pads. Has your ES been in an accident to have your downpipe pinched shut like that?
Old 04-29-03, 04:59 AM
Rit&Booner
Driver

No it hasn't been in an accident. But I did go overboard a small portable ramp, the car fell on it on the right front wheel. Where is the downpipe located? I would like to see myself.
Old 04-29-03, 01:28 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally posted by Rit&Booner
No it hasn't been in an accident. But I did go overboard a small portable ramp, the car fell on it on the right front wheel. Where is the downpipe located? I would like to see myself.
Its the single pipe going downward in the front of the oil filter.
Old 05-10-03, 04:18 PM
richsadams

Unhappy Brakes - Ouch!

I have just under 60K miles on my '97 ES300 and just had the rear brakes (didn't need fronts yet) replaced at the Lexus dealership. $317.00 out the door included new pads, turned the rotors, bled the lines, etc. Based on other responses I guess I shouldn't complain and I'm comfortable that they'll back them up should anything happen. Owning a Ford was cheaper...but it was still a Ford!

Quick Reply: Sears Brake estimation, I almost cried