ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

I want to know what car is better, gs400 or es330?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-16, 06:58 PM
Brahms
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you've narrowed it down to those two--that is, you view the two as similar enough that it's a tossup--I think you'll be happier with the ES.
Old 02-14-16, 02:15 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll take a well maintained 98 GS 400 over a 2016 es, yes a 2016 ANY day of the week, every high end mechanic I take my car to goes "oh u got the good one" they don't make them like that anymore, don't get rid of this car, but whatever, I will never sell my GS even if I hit the lottery for millions, but that's just me. : ) buy what u like buddy happy hunting
Old 02-14-16, 03:17 AM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by Bullitt180
There are clean examples and busted examples of each one of these models, it all depends on how well they have been maintained. Best case scenario for either decision is a 16 year old GS or an 11 year old ES. At those ages, either they have already had issues or are going to soon.

All of the other rhetoric here is irrelevant, especially the BMW comment simply because he didn't add the M5 into his comparison so it doesn't matter if it surpassed anything.

There are 3 main points here.

1 - the 2 vehicles asked about are too different to compare, it's all going to be based on what you consider "better"

2 - take the time to do some research, there are countless reviews from tv shows, magazines, Internet articles all over the web. It's not hard to obtain the knowledge and form your own opinion on the two vehicles.

3 - in regards to buying used cars this old, you either want to be mechanically inclined or have the money to pay a mechanically inclined person to fix the inevitable problems......and mechanically inclined people don't ask this question, so have plenty of money to maintain your used car.
The best point made. I'm not mechanically inclined much at all. But most now have to have a computer to hook up to the car to read anything the car gives back if it throws a code and you have to know how to interpret it. But as far as wrench turning yes things by now are falling apart. Sensors by now are also failing due to age, corrosion, constant cold and hot weather changes the stress from driving etc etc. That will be with any car though.
Old 02-14-16, 03:19 AM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by DosyBoy
I'll take a well maintained 98 GS 400 over a 2016 es, yes a 2016 ANY day of the week, every high end mechanic I take my car to goes "oh u got the good one" they don't make them like that anymore, don't get rid of this car, but whatever, I will never sell my GS even if I hit the lottery for millions, but that's just me. : ) buy what u like buddy happy hunting
No but then again they dont make them like the late 80's to early 90's Hondas or Toyotas either.
Old 02-14-16, 05:32 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I happen to be an owner of a 1999 GS400 and recently gave my little sister my 2005 ES330. Both are good cars but I kept the GS instead since I've owned it longer. I end up driving the ES more whenever I go out since it's more comfortable. The interior is slightly more modern even though the GS has higher quality material (d'oh). Parts for the ES are cheaper and more readily available. You need to look at what you need and see which car fits you better. Don't ever decide one car over the other without test driving.
Old 02-14-16, 05:42 PM
Greg1976
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSteg
I happen to be an owner of a 1999 GS400 and recently gave my little sister my 2005 ES330. Both are good cars but I kept the GS instead since I've owned it longer. I end up driving the ES more whenever I go out since it's more comfortable. The interior is slightly more modern even though the GS has higher quality material (d'oh). Parts for the ES are cheaper and more readily available. You need to look at what you need and see which car fits you better. Don't ever decide one car over the other without test driving.
The gs400 is year 2000 only have 80k
Old 02-14-16, 07:20 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by firelizard
It was also outpaced by BMW as fastest automatic sedan as soon as they launched the M5 and Lexus never recovered.
Negatory, ghost rider. The E39 M5 was only offered with a manual transmission.
Old 02-14-16, 09:41 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
The pattern is full.
Old 02-14-16, 10:57 PM
firelizard

Received 440 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Ah you are right. I supposed that is why Lexus specified automatic to claim a record of sorts. Anyway, lots of things are much quicker now.
Old 02-15-16, 07:57 AM
8M6
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

The only proper answer: Research and test drive both and get the one that better fits your needs.

My obviously biased answer: I would never own a wrong-wheel drive Lexus and, perhaps CL enthusiasts excluded, I find their drivers are only marginally more aware of their surroundings on the highway than your average Toyota driver. If you like a tarted up Camry though...who am I to judge?

Okay, I'm done snarking now.
Old 02-15-16, 08:13 AM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by Greg1976
I dont know what car is better to buy. 2000 gs400 or 2005 es330
Keep in mind one important aspect. With time comes age. With age comes eventual wearing out. Mileage is an important factor but not the only one to take into consideration. A 16 year old car has 16 years of being in hot cold, cold hot climates. Or all hot or all cold people I think fail to realize that hot weaher is harder on a battery than cold weather. Rubber, sensors, plastic, electronics all break down over time. The older the car I don't care how well maintained will endure these issues at some point or another most likely. What can you comfortably afford to fix when something breaks? I thought the same way when i was younger comparing 2 very different vehicles. One side wants the fun factor the other side wants practicality. However you may have a wife and kids and settled down and you want the GS wife wants the ES .Listen to the guys/girls on here and take all their advice and soak it up
Old 02-18-16, 08:00 AM
colinodon
Rookie

Originally Posted by firelizard
Yeah, and Val Kilmer used to be in good shape.

The ES330 is part of the 3rd generation of Lexus models, the GS400 is from 1998 and barely updated. It was also outpaced by BMW as fastest automatic sedan as soon as they launched the M5 and Lexus never recovered.

Aside from that yeah, you basically repeated the same pros and cons. The ES is mild and economical. The GS is faster and consumes fuel like a cruise ship. Handles like one too, stock.
Why would you reference a cruise ship to the gs400's handling when youre comparing it to a lexus camry?
Old 02-18-16, 09:13 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

If the GS is a cruise ship, then the ES must be a riverboat raft
Old 02-18-16, 05:32 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullitt180
It's apples and oranges. Get the ES, because the GS400 is for a person that knows the difference.
We NEED a thanks button
Prime example right here
Old 02-18-16, 05:40 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmartin061
Keep in mind one important aspect. With time comes age. With age comes eventual wearing out. Mileage is an important factor but not the only one to take into consideration. A 16 year old car has 16 years of being in hot cold, cold hot climates. Or all hot or all cold people I think fail to realize that hot weaher is harder on a battery than cold weather. Rubber, sensors, plastic, electronics all break down over time. The older the car I don't care how well maintained will endure these issues at some point or another most likely. What can you comfortably afford to fix when something breaks? I thought the same way when i was younger comparing 2 very different vehicles. One side wants the fun factor the other side wants practicality. However you may have a wife and kids and settled down and you want the GS wife wants the ES .Listen to the guys/girls on here and take all their advice and soak it up
If its been stored inside, not driven through 16 yankee winters with all the salt, and always maintained, you should be good to go.

I daily drive a 1992 SC300 with 92k miles, runs like a new car, factory paint looks great. All of the rubber door seals, vacume hoses, etc look like new. Age isn't that big of a deal, its how the car was used and maintained over that time that matters IMO.

Honestly the OP should buy the car in better condition, weather it be the ES or GS. If he's even looking at the ES, he probably isn't that picky about the way the car drives/performs. Plus the ES is a lot better on gas, but gas is cheap now so whatever.

Quick Reply: I want to know what car is better, gs400 or es330?