ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

How many of yall have had speedometer issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 05:17 PM
jaredmac11
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How many of yall have had speedometer issues?

I'm currently having issues with my speedometer. It doesnt affect performance, but the speedometer will drop to the floor at times and the odo will blank out. I dont believe the odometer rolls when this happens so my mileage is starting to become a bit off.

I replaced the speed sensor and the issue popped up that day. I believe its the instrument cluster, I just dont have the ability to rip it out and send it in for repair since its my daily driver..

Im curious how common this issue is. If I can find a junkyard car with around as many miles, I may just replace it, unless its a common issue..
Old 02-24-16, 05:41 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredmac11
Im curious how common this issue is. If I can find a junkyard car with around as many miles, I may just replace it, unless its a common issue..
you can replace the speedo but your mileage will be off. you can have the new replacement cluster programmed by some repair places. if it's your daily, I would find a replacement and send that one in for odometer adjustment.

or you can attempt what speedkar9 has done and reprogram the PIC chip that records the mileage.
Old 02-26-16, 03:28 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1, send it in for refurb, after so many miles the solder joints or components wear out.
Old 02-27-16, 06:00 AM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I replaced the speed sensor and the issue popped up that day. I believe its the instrument cluster, I just dont have the ability to rip it out and send it in for repair since its my daily driver..
Why did you replace the speed sensor? Because the problem began after you replaced a speed sensor I'd verify all the speed detection system components (where you replaced the speed sensor) are operating correctly.

I recently replaced a hub. Then two months later my speedometer would drop to zero. Turned out the ABS tone ring on the hub had broken free from the spindle. This caused erroneous data to be sent to the ECU which somehow caused the speedometer to stop working intermittently. Initially this was the only indication something was wrong. Eventually I got various errors as described in the link. See this link for complete details if you are interested. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...mil-p0500.html
Old 02-27-16, 06:48 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Start with cleaning and re-seating the connectors behind the instrument cluster.
Old 02-29-16, 11:55 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm currently having issues with my speedometer. It doesnt affect performance, but the speedometer will drop to the floor at times and the odo will blank out. I dont believe the odometer rolls when this happens so my mileage is starting to become a bit off.

Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. If these suggestions don't work and the instrument cluster is still not working, we can do the repair for you. The cost depends on the year of the car.

Otherwise, we can help locate a refurbished cluster for you. If you locate a working junkyard cluster, you can also send it in to us for refurbishing and odometer reprogramming. Here is the link to the Gauge Cluster odometer correction:

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/G...do_correct.htm

Feel free to PM us with any questions at all. We are happy to help out!

Thanks,
www.taninautoelectronix.com