ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-16, 06:27 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Transmission question

So, if I'm driving in stop and go traffic, and after moving forward a bit and letting up on the accelerator, then pressing it again to move forward, the transmission acts like it disengages then bangs into gear. Almost like the clutch disengages then re-engages when the throttle is advanced. Really bad a low speeds. Higher speeds it doesn't seem to do it. Any ideas?
Old 03-14-16, 09:30 AM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the condition of your fluid, last time changed, fluid level at dipstick after hot and what kind of fluid do you have in there?
Old 03-14-16, 10:03 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

I got the pan dropped and filter changed and new fluid added about 4 months ago (probably around 56k). I'll check the level. I would assume the transmission place would know the type of fluid, but who knows? I'll contact them. What kind SHOULD have been used?
Old 03-14-16, 10:30 AM
HomerJay
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I would also recommend checking your engine and transmission mounts too. Do you feel a clunk or see the engine jump when you shift into in drive?
Old 03-14-16, 10:45 AM
HomerJay
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Delete Duplicate post

Last edited by HomerJay; 03-14-16 at 10:48 AM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 03-14-16, 11:25 AM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 428 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by mmatheny
I got the pan dropped and filter changed and new fluid added about 4 months ago (probably around 56k). I'll check the level. I would assume the transmission place would know the type of fluid, but who knows? I'll contact them. What kind SHOULD have been used?
The filter in these never needs replacement. It is a wire mesh and can simply be washed out.

There was a post here last year where someone replaced their filter with an aftermarket one from the shelf of a local auto parts store. The paper filter was too restrictive and starved the oil pump. The symptoms you describe could be to due to low fluid, incorrect fluid, or pump starvation. He switched his OE filter back in and problems went away. FYI, checking fluid level on a transmission is not like checking engine oil. The fluid needs to be hot, the engine running, and you need to do it after shifting slowly through all gears.

The factory fill on these was Toyota T-IV fluid, which was a Dexron III-based fluid. T-IV has been superceded since then. Many fluids will meet the T-IV spec for these cars so as long as a minimal level of competence was used, a compatible fluid is not hard to pick. If you do need new fluid, there are a lot of people very happy with Valvoline's MaxLife ATF - very affordable in gallon jugs at Walmart and some Autozone stores.

Last edited by Oro; 03-14-16 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-14-16, 11:28 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Originally Posted by HomerJay
I would also recommend checking your engine and transmission mounts too. Do you feel a clunk or see the engine jump when you shift into in drive?
Engine mounts are tight. No jump when shifting into drive. Thanx
Old 03-14-16, 11:47 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Just talked to shop that did the flush - if it has a screen filter they flush it and put it back in. They use Dexron III or better - I need to talk to owner to see exactly what fluid was put in mine. Tech ALSO said it sounds like low fluid. I'll check that when I get home. Thanx for all the input! This is a GREAT site!
Old 03-14-16, 01:38 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmatheny
Just talked to shop that did the flush - if it has a screen filter they flush it and put it back in. They use Dexron III or better - I need to talk to owner to see exactly what fluid was put in mine. Tech ALSO said it sounds like low fluid. I'll check that when I get home. Thanx for all the input! This is a GREAT site!
It depends on what year car you have.
I know at 99 it can be dex iii or t-iv.
Before 99 it's dex iii
2000 - 2003 I think, it's t-iv.

Or if you count the bolts on your transmission pan.
17 = A541e transmission, dex iii
18 = U140e transmission, t-iv
Old 03-14-16, 05:32 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts

The hesitation and being in the wrong gear in stop and go traffic is characteristic of the 02-06 ES. Get used to it.
Old 03-15-16, 06:07 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Shop said they put Coastal full synthetic fluid in. I checked the level and it is fine. Speedkar - I remember seeing somewhere there is a firmware update for the transmission that corrects some shifting problems - but I also read it can also make it worse - opinions??
Old 03-15-16, 06:15 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Found THIS:
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...op-and-go-tra/

However, it is NOT a hesitation - it literally acts like the clutch disengages then engages hard when I give it gas. Could a low idle speed cause this - my idle speed is barely above 500. I need to thoroughly clean the throttle body to see if that will fix it. Anything else to check for low idle?
Old 03-15-16, 06:30 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Just looked at the Lexus maintenance records, don't see any transmission reflash BUT do see where owner requested a drain and refill at 25442 and 38446 miles, so maybe he was experiencing the same issue. Maybe that's why they got rid of it a 54k!!
Old 03-15-16, 07:12 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Would you suggest me getting a complete flush and refilled with T-IV?? that is what is specified on the dipstick.
Old 03-15-16, 07:21 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Reading the documentation for Coastal Full Synthetic ATF, it is compatible with T-IV:

Toyota / Lexus / Scion Type D-II/T-T-III/T-IV

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Ez6Qxxf95e3uCw

It's just weird (and scary) because I can make it slam pretty hard if I let up then pop the accelerator!

Quick Reply: Transmission question