ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Timing belt update!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-16, 06:54 PM
lexpilot
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Timing belt update!!

So a couple years ago I posted I was going to see how far a timing belt would go.
I have two 97s with non interference fit engines and my daily driver has recently turned 355k miles.
The timing belt and water pump were replaced in 2004 with 110k miles by the previous owner. It has not been changed since and still looks good when visually checked.
It was due at 220 and 330 making it more than 240K miles since last done!
I'm still waiting for it to fail. This car owes me nothing, in fact it was hit by a bus and the check I got from the bus company paid for repairs with enough extra to cover the amount I originally paid for it in 2007. I call it my " free car".
My point is that those of you who freak out when you pass the recommended service items by a few thousand miles need to relax a bit.
I will let everyone know when it finally breaks, I promise.
Lex
Old 05-15-16, 12:54 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by lexpilot
So a couple years ago I posted I was going to see how far a timing belt would go.
I have two 97s with non interference fit engines and my daily driver has recently turned 355k miles.
The timing belt and water pump were replaced in 2004 with 110k miles by the previous owner. It has not been changed since and still looks good when visually checked.
It was due at 220 and 330 making it more than 240K miles since last done!
I'm still waiting for it to fail. This car owes me nothing, in fact it was hit by a bus and the check I got from the bus company paid for repairs with enough extra to cover the amount I originally paid for it in 2007. I call it my " free car".
My point is that those of you who freak out when you pass the recommended service items by a few thousand miles need to relax a bit.
I will let everyone know when it finally breaks, I promise.
Lex
Glad your TB is holding up for you but your experience will not necessarily apply to anyone else. Most TB failures are a result of other components failing, eg seized WP. As long as you do not care about getting stranded and/or requiring a tow truck, run until failure.
Old 05-15-16, 01:06 AM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, 240k miles, I hope the last belt kit they put it was OEM.

I recently replaced the timing belt on my mom's 99 Camry V6 1MZ, same engine as your 97 ES.

I wasn't having problems with the car but the CAM seals were leaking, We got the car 2 years ago with 80k miles from a friend for a steal, but the seals were leaking for quite a while.

There were quite a few leaks despite only having 80k, in the year that I've owned it I've replaced the power steering hoses (high pressure and reservoir hoses), resealed the pump with a kit. Replaced he valve cover gaskets, changed plugs and wires. The rear brakes were wearing abnormally, I rebuilt the rear calipers and got new rotors/pads. I replaced the front Calipers with rebuilt 96 ES300 Dual Pistons, new rotors/pads too.

I drove the car for a year and put 4k miles on it, gave it to my mom last year when I found my minty 2000 ES platinum. She only put about 1k on it, she is semi retired and only drives once a week.

Anywho, I replaced the timing belt, pulleys, water pump, 2x cam seals and 1x crank seal, new auto tensioner, new drive belts, new thermostat/gasket and new coolant.

I would like to say that the car is now leak free and engine runs beautifully.

It's great to know that your car will run that long without servicing but I would imagine it's leaking all kinds of fluids right now prob not an issue if you check and top off often tho.

I was just reading another thread about a T-belt issue on a 2002 ES someone bought at the dealer. I think they mentioned the cam shaft broke? likely due to a t-belt or pulley issue.

I can't afford to have my cars break down on me and I do all my own maintenance so I'm only paying for parts, I'll probably do my T-Belt on my 2000 ES later this year for peace of mind.

Please let us know how far your car gets, thanks for starting this thread.
Old 05-15-16, 12:40 PM
lexpilot
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

808, actually it doesnt leak a drop of anything.
I too have replaced the usual valve cover gaskets and PS hoses along with a coolant connection to the IAV. This engine has had Casrol Syntek synthetic its whole life. I use the 5qt jugs and when I pour the drain pan into the empty jug, it comes right to the 5qt mark. I change every 7500 miles and it uses none.
This is the best car I've ever had (i have two, the kid drives the other) and have every confidence it'll make 400K.
Lex
Old 05-16-16, 05:04 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a 99 with no service history. I'm assuming timing belt was done around 100k. It's at 215k now and visually still looks fine. So this post makes me feel a little bit better but I'm pretty sure my engine is interface which still worries me.