ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

clicking when braking

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-03, 04:43 PM
liht
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clicking when braking

I noticed that at certain speeds there is a very very appearant clicking when i put on the brakes. its usually around 25ish. if you pu tthem on _all_ the way, it stops. its very loud if the windows are open. I can even feel it in the brake pedal.
I took it to my mechanic (had to get other work done anyhow) and he said that its the wheel bearing in the front (passenger side, presumably).
can this really be true? Its only when the brakes are put on..if it was the wheel bearing wouldnt you hear it whenever the wheel is spinning?

Its not loose struts...i just replaced them with KYB's. its not the transaxles or boots, those were just replaced and checked.

ANy thoughts? and its not the brakes either. he replaced those and it still makes the noise.
(hes a very good mechanic...specializes in toyotas/imports).

hm?

its a 90 es250...168k miles
Old 05-06-03, 09:57 AM
Mr_Mollari
Driver School Candidate

I've noticed a similar thing on my 97 es300, but only at very low speeds (i.e. parking). It seems to happen with levels of braking. Usually happens when I pull into my garage -- If I don't keep some pressure on the brake pedal, and just start to stop when I reach the back of the garage, the front brakes "click" or clamp down a bit. Your situation sounds different, and more annoying/problematic. I don't know enough about brake symptoms, but on a '90 you might want to check brake fluid? dunno.

My front brakes are also starting to squeak a bit, but only when they are cold. With 48K mi on it, it's about that time. I'm going to swing by the dealer next week when I get back from the east coast and have them check the pads/etc.
Old 05-07-03, 07:22 AM
Invisibleman
Driver

I've had that clicking problem on my 93 ES300.. It turned out to be just the plastic center thingy with the L-logo. from the rim. I just pulled it out, tightened it and then put it back in. Clicking noise solved..
Old 05-07-03, 09:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Re: clicking when braking

Originally posted by liht
I noticed that at certain speeds there is a very very appearant clicking when i put on the brakes. its usually around 25ish. if you pu tthem on _all_ the way, it stops. its very loud if the windows are open. I can even feel it in the brake pedal.
I took it to my mechanic (had to get other work done anyhow) and he said that its the wheel bearing in the front (passenger side, presumably).
can this really be true? Its only when the brakes are put on..if it was the wheel bearing wouldnt you hear it whenever the wheel is spinning?
Don't worry. This is an age old Toyota Camry brake caliper design flaw. It's just in the design that it causes that loud click/thud when you hit the brakes. It even does this on my 99 Solara SE V6 5spd.
Old 05-09-03, 08:16 AM
liht
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: clicking when braking

Originally posted by flipside909
Don't worry. This is an age old Toyota Camry brake caliper design flaw. It's just in the design that it causes that loud click/thud when you hit the brakes. It even does this on my 99 Solara SE V6 5spd.
You are quite right! He decided to check it again before putting on a new half shaft or wheel bearing, and was like "woah..its the brakes!" so he lubed em up, put em back on, and voila! it works like a charm now. Yikes. that saved me a few hundred bucks!

and damn, i love these KYB GR2. talk about better than stock..yum.