ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

HELP!!! How Do I Add A Distributor Kill Switch To My '05 ES330?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-16, 11:02 PM
JMH0325
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! How Do I Add A Distributor Kill Switch To My '05 ES330?

My car was recently stolen (recovered after 3 week but EVERYTHING inside is gone). To deter that from happening again, I want to add a distributor kill switch (once had one on my old 72 Mustang), but don't know how to do it, as it is a lot different than adding a switch to the ignition coil of the Mustang.

Eventually I also plan to hardwire a hidden tracking device, so that IF it gets stolen, I can track it down, and with the help of my friend Arturo Rodriguez - Quince, "convince" the ne'er do wells to return my belongings, but that is for another thread.

Last edited by JMH0325; 09-04-16 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-06-16, 06:31 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Did they strip out the interior pieces or just took your belongings?

You'd have to add a kill switch to your fuel pump, which is located under the rear seat. These cars don't have distributers, and you don't want to be tampering with your ignition coil wiring.
Ironically though, the engine immobilizer does just that - disable the fuel pump and ignition. Did they start it and drive it away with a pre-programmed key?
Old 09-07-16, 11:24 AM
JMH0325
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Did they strip out the interior pieces or just took your belongings?
They just stole/discarded all of our belongings.

Originally Posted by speedkar9
You'd have to add a kill switch to your fuel pump, which is located under the rear seat. These cars don't have distributers, and you don't want to be tampering with your ignition coil wiring.
Ironically though, the engine immobilizer does just that - disable the fuel pump and ignition. Did they start it and drive it away with a pre-programmed key?
Any idea how to add one to the fuel pump? The car was stolen from my garage overnight/early morning. The valet key was inside the unlocked car (sunglasses holder). Walked out into the garage, the door was up and the car was gone.
Old 09-07-16, 12:13 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Honestly instead of going through the trouble of trying to add this kill switch. I would:

Lock your garage
Lock your car
And not keep a key in your car.
Old 09-07-16, 12:19 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JMH0325
The valet key was inside the unlocked car.
Problem is so obvious.....problem solved....
Old 09-07-16, 04:52 PM
WILLYumD
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm no engineer but I think it could be as easy as throwing a switch that (dis)connects the 12V going to the fuel pump. There should be a harness under your backseats that plug into a gray circle, you just splice the switch into the wire that pushes 12V when the car starts, and tuck the switch somewhere sneaky.

DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. I AM BUT A MEAGER COLLEGE STUDENT.

Also, keeping keys outside of the car and then locking the car is an easier method.
Old 09-07-16, 06:33 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WILLYumD
I'm no engineer but I think it could be as easy as throwing a switch that (dis)connects the 12V going to the fuel pump. There should be a harness under your backseats that plug into a gray circle, you just splice the switch into the wire that pushes 12V when the car starts, and tuck the switch somewhere sneaky.

DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. I AM BUT A MEAGER COLLEGE STUDENT.

Also, keeping keys outside of the car and then locking the car is an easier method.
I did something similar with my 89 honda since they are getting stolen left and right where i live.
Old 09-09-16, 04:40 PM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crwys
Honestly instead of going through the trouble of trying to add this kill switch. I would:

Lock your garage
Lock your car
And not keep a key in your car.
This. So obvious, lol.
Old 09-10-16, 04:13 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz330
This. So obvious, lol.
Next thread, "HELP! How do I add a kill switch to my front door?!" House keys were found under the welcome mat.
Old 09-10-16, 07:34 PM
JMH0325
Driver School Candidate

Lock your garage
According to both my daughter and my neighbor directly across the street, the door was closed. The insurance investigator told me that all the thieves needed to do to get into the garage was pop the manual lift switch with a coat hanger and then lift the door. How would locking my garage door help me when I drive to work, or just out and about anywhere?
Lock your car
Do you also lock your bedroom doors in your house before you leave? Do you lock up/away your laptops/electronic equipment/jewlrey/valuables before you leave, or before you go to bed @ night? I have yet to meet someone that locks their car when it is parked inside of their own garage. Do you???

Instead of being critical how about offering a real solution to my question.

Last edited by JMH0325; 09-10-16 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-11-16, 02:47 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JMH0325
According to both my daughter and my neighbor directly across the street, the door was closed. The insurance investigator told me that all the thieves needed to do to get into the garage was pop the manual lift switch with a coat hanger and then lift the door. How would locking my garage door help me when I drive to work, or just out and about anywhere?
Do you also lock your bedroom doors in your house before you leave? Do you lock up/away your laptops/electronic equipment/jewlrey/valuables before you leave, or before you go to bed @ night? I have yet to meet someone that locks their car when it is parked inside of their own garage. Do you???

Instead of being critical how about offering a real solution to my question.
Your ES330 is equipped with immobilizer. It will not start you didn't leave the key inside the car!!!
If someone use a coat hanger to unlock the locked door, the car alarm will sound. And when it does, it will wake up people inside the house.
Your story isn't adding up.
Old 09-11-16, 03:24 PM
JMH0325
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BDSL
Your ES330 is equipped with immobilizer. It will not start you didn't leave the key inside the car!!!
If someone use a coat hanger to unlock the locked door, the car alarm will sound. And when it does, it will wake up people inside the house.
Your story isn't adding up.
Per the insurance investigator, the garage door was probably opened by using a coat hanger to pull the switch to manually lift it (see included picture). And as the car was in the garage, it was unlocked.

Last edited by JMH0325; 09-11-16 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-11-16, 03:39 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Instead of being so defensive I would just read what everyone is trying to tell you, sleep on it for a couple days, and actually think about what went wrong here.

You left your keys inside your car and that is where you messed up, learn from your mistakes and move on.

I understand you are mad that your car was stolen and possessions were stolen but everyone here is just trying to help, some being sarcastic / *******s, but its the truth.
Old 09-11-16, 04:59 PM
JMH0325
Driver School Candidate

Instead of being so defensive I would just read what everyone is trying to tell you, sleep on it for a couple days, and actually think about what went wrong here.

You left your keys inside your car and that is where you messed up, learn from your mistakes and move on.

I understand you are mad that your car was stolen and possessions were stolen but everyone here is just trying to help, some being sarcastic / *******s, but its the truth.
I have had over a month to think on my mistakes. But seeing how I (and if it hold up, my daughter) will be driving this car out and about, most of what people have been saying is pointless. It is a car that will me parked out in unsecured places sometimes. What is wrong with wanting to add another layer of security to it by adding a kill switch? Will I leave a key in the car again, even if the car is in my closed garage, NO. Will I lock my car while it is in the garage, probably.

But all of the other stuff isn't answering my questions. What is the point of all the other talk??? Am I being defensive, I don't think so. I asked questions, and with the exception of 3 people, everyone wanted to state what they feel is the obvious solution, while ignoring the fact that it may be useful to others to prevent similar from happening to them.
Old 09-11-16, 05:44 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

If thieves are smart enough to get around the engine immobilizer (built into the ECU) then a simple kill switch is unlikely to stop them. Maybe you're not aware but without the correct programmed key sending a transponder signal to the computer the car will not start.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! How Do I Add A Distributor Kill Switch To My '05 ES330?