ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Traction control/ABS kicking on after rack and pinion swap 2003 ES

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-16, 03:31 PM
OGM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction control/ABS kicking on after rack and pinion swap 2003 ES(Now fixed with how

I changed the rack and pinion mounting bushings today on my ES . Part of my suspension refurbishing . Ran into a snag . As soon as I get up to 10-15 mph the trac light comes on like it's slipping and slows me down . It won't do 5-10 mph .

I tried cleaning the sensors to no avail . I searched all over for loose or broken wires . Nothing !

Research leads me to the Steering Wheel position sensor . Dealer says 1-1.5 hrs aka $225 max . I tried the online cross the pins but need to try again JIC . I found new instructions that say disconnect the battery first before the procedure . I will note I did not mark the steering wheel position due to my own ignorance . Not sure it would have mattered but , maybe it would have prevented it as well

I do know it's ABS related as pulling the fuses is a fix , but the damn beeper drives me nuts . Obviously , it's a paperweight now until fixed .

If you know what's wrong , please don't be shy . I can't afford the repair at the dealer and cant afford to be without the car for long .

Thanks in advance

Last edited by OGM; 12-22-16 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-22-16, 06:39 AM
OGM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great news . Problem solved , dealer averted .

Turns out , you do need to reset this steering wheel sensor when replacing certain parts on the front end . I was a little ticked at the dealer however . They make everything sound so complicated . "It's 1 hour to do it but may take up to 1.5 hours " Odd damn thing it only took me less than 10 mins and 8 of those were waiting as I disconnected the battery terminal to clear the computer's memory .

Now for the fix as I won't leave anyone wondering .

Symptoms : Trac control would kick on and disable car from moving over a few mph after removing the rack and pinion . A true LIMP mode if I ever saw one . All the while , you will hear the trac/ABS kickin in while moving

Fix :
They say to park on the level but I did it while on jack stands and the front elevated , your choice .
-Disconnect the battery negative terminal . I read a few seconds but personally gave it 5-8 mins .
-On your in car OBDII plug located under the driver's side dash , you will need to ground out two terminals . (I used tie wire , or bailing wire. anything will do)
-Stick each end of your wire in the following terminals . 3rd from right on bottom(narrow end of plug) and 5th from right on the top (wider end)
-Straighten the steering wheel now , very important step
-turn key ahead to run position , wait 8-10 seconds. The light for VSC , seatbelt and ABS start flashing rapidly . On mine , the VSC went out right away leaving just the other two flashing . They start flashing together but will switch to back and forth . That's the sign you are now done .

Big thanks to youtube and another article I read but more especially to one person who commented on that video who owned a 2002 Camry and gave the pin locations . This is the youtube video link
. Comment by John Smith

I am now again without issue and the bushings feel much better

If you need assistance with replacing the front control arms , rack and pinion , sway bar bushings , and soon coming spark plugs and front motor mount , I'm your guy , lol . I got many years as a backyard mechanic and have done every job under the sun on one vehicle or another . I thought I was gonna stroke out thinking I had to pay someone to "fix" something on my car , lol . I don't recall ever doing that outside of exhaust and wheel alignments .

Cheers
Old 02-27-17, 09:45 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by OGM
I changed the rack and pinion mounting bushings today on my ES . Part of my suspension refurbishing . Ran into a snag . As soon as I get up to 10-15 mph the trac light comes on like it's slipping and slows me down . It won't do 5-10 mph .

I tried cleaning the sensors to no avail . I searched all over for loose or broken wires . Nothing !

Research leads me to the Steering Wheel position sensor . Dealer says 1-1.5 hrs aka $225 max . I tried the online cross the pins but need to try again JIC . I found new instructions that say disconnect the battery first before the procedure . I will note I did not mark the steering wheel position due to my own ignorance . Not sure it would have mattered but , maybe it would have prevented it as well

I do know it's ABS related as pulling the fuses is a fix , but the damn beeper drives me nuts . Obviously , it's a paperweight now until fixed .

If you know what's wrong , please don't be shy . I can't afford the repair at the dealer and cant afford to be without the car for long .

Thanks in advance
have you ever done rear axle bushing replacement?