ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2002 ES300 - Metal rubbing metal noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-17, 05:48 PM
velani
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 ES300 - Metal rubbing metal noise

Hello,

After replacing front inner/outer tie rods on my ES300, a few days later, we started hearing a metal rubbing on metal kinda noise when steering the front wheel. It is not the tie rods for sure. What else can it be that can create this screeching sound? Could it be a result of ball joint just happen to go bad or something I did while replacing the tie rods?

TIA
Old 01-12-17, 06:05 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check the heat/dust shield is not bent a little.
Old 01-13-17, 07:46 AM
velani
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by surgeon0
Check the heat/dust shield is not bent a little.
Thank you, will do and report back.
Old 01-15-17, 06:34 PM
velani
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by velani
Thank you, will do and report back.
Not the heat shield unfortunately.
Old 01-15-17, 08:21 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

get the car in the air and look for the shiny metal. Is it a scrapping sound ? might be striking the sway bar now. Is it a rotate sound ?
Old 01-16-17, 06:35 PM
shortstop
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How many miles on this vechicle? Im no mechanic but here`s were I would start! . Noise when turning in parked? Noise when only moving? 1st with car running in park and turning steering wheel side to side is there any noise?
If not have someone slowly drive the car in left and right circles turning the wheel side to side as much as possible to simulate the problem, as you walk around the car , isolate the exact area or wheel making noise?
If it is coming from the front wheel, and not some other body part rubbing, jack that wheel, chocked, and in neutral, with the foot brake on, try to spin it to see if you can create the noise again. Listen for any odd sounds. Remember the bearing is not under a full load now and may not make any noise..
If still no noise when raised and your sure the noise is coming from that wheel, inspect the wheel bearings. You have changed the alignment with new tie rod ends and if the bearings were old, worn out, or starting to go bad, it can cause the bearings to ware in a different spot.
My brake pads on my 2003 tend to scuff and squeel sometimes due to the small brake pad design and the rust forming on the rotors edge face and top plate ends, from rust build up. I have to knock the rust edge down with my dremel or emrey cloth from time to time.
The following users liked this post:
velani (01-17-17)
Old 01-16-17, 07:35 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Ball joints tend to creak if they're dry of grease.
Double check your tie rods and ball joint for play and for grease, and have a listen at the upper strut mounts when you turn the steering wheel.
The following users liked this post:
velani (01-17-17)
Old 01-17-17, 06:35 AM
velani
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ES300NZ
get the car in the air and look for the shiny metal. Is it a scrapping sound ? might be striking the sway bar now. Is it a rotate sound ?
It makes a sounds when wheels are turned from side to side but what is interesting is that when I open the door and go to seat, my weight also makes the same sound (though lot softer) in the vertical movement also. Strange.
Old 01-17-17, 06:39 AM
velani
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Double check your tie rods and ball joint for play and for grease, and have a listen at the upper strut mounts when you turn the steering wheel.
Tie rods are brand new Moog and came with a grease nipple. It should have been filled with grease but will double check.

Can grease be added to the ball joints? Could not see any grease nipples. Will check the upper strut mounts.

To complicate this while matter, I have lost/misplaced my wheel lock key I ordered a new one which is scheduled to be delivered end of this week, so the delay in checking and getting back to these wonderful helpful suggestions since I cannot take the wheel off.
Old 01-17-17, 06:42 AM
velani
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shortstop
How many miles on this vechicle? Im no mechanic but here`s were I would start! . Noise when turning in parked? Noise when only moving? 1st with car running in park and turning steering wheel side to side is there any noise?
If not have someone slowly drive the car in left and right circles turning the wheel side to side as much as possible to simulate the problem, as you walk around the car , isolate the exact area or wheel making noise?
If it is coming from the front wheel, and not some other body part rubbing, jack that wheel, chocked, and in neutral, with the foot brake on, try to spin it to see if you can create the noise again. Listen for any odd sounds. Remember the bearing is not under a full load now and may not make any noise..
If still no noise when raised and your sure the noise is coming from that wheel, inspect the wheel bearings. You have changed the alignment with new tie rod ends and if the bearings were old, worn out, or starting to go bad, it can cause the bearings to ware in a different spot.
My brake pads on my 2003 tend to scuff and squeel sometimes due to the small brake pad design and the rust forming on the rotors edge face and top plate ends, from rust build up. I have to knock the rust edge down with my dremel or emrey cloth from time to time.
Thanks you Shortstop, lots of great suggestions and for me to check on once my replacement wheel lock key arrives this week. Thanks and once I get the wheel off, I can better inspect and report back. Wish FedEx Smart Post would deliver soon. It is already in the state per tracking information.
Old 01-17-17, 08:18 AM
shortstop
Driver

If it makes the noise when the car is not moving, its not a wheel bearing. It`s a suspension problem. Bounce each corner of the car to hear and pinpoint the area with the loudest sound. Get help to locate noise if needed. P.S. If the car was just driven in the rain or snow and the undercarrage is wet it may not reproduce any noise right now.
Old 01-22-17, 04:54 PM
velani
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Thanks to all who provided feedback. Believe it or not, brand new Moog exterior tie rod was the culprit. I pumped grease into the drivers side outer tie rod and the noise stopped instantly. I filled the passenger side also to be safe.

Is it normal for brand new Moog tie rods not have factory filled grease? I am quite shocked that it seems not to have been the case.

Do you feel I have damaged the outer tie rod having used it for a couple of weeks without grease, and with all that noise?

Thanks all. I truly appreciate your help and feedback.
Old 01-23-17, 04:51 AM
shortstop
Driver

I think it will be fine.. If the noise is gone and does not come back anytime soon.