ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Just bought a car - Trac and check engine light adivce please

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-17, 08:26 PM
kurtcobain
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a car - Trac and check engine light adivce please

HI I just bought a 2000 es300... drives awesome so far, just noticed though after driving about 20 miles that the cel and trac lights are on. I searched a bit, tried the tightening of the gas cap thing and no luck. ANy other suggestions? I need to get it inspected asap
Old 03-06-17, 09:06 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Sounds like you were had. While i can't say for certain without the code, I'm going to put my money on charcoal canister. It doesn't affect how the car drives or anything, but is an emissions thing expensive enough repair to get someone to sell their car. Thats like worse case scenario, could also be something simple like an 02 sensor
Old 03-07-17, 02:32 PM
kurtcobain
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Sounds like you were had. While i can't say for certain without the code, I'm going to put my money on charcoal canister. It doesn't affect how the car drives or anything, but is an emissions thing expensive enough repair to get someone to sell their car. Thats like worse case scenario, could also be something simple like an 02 sensor
What makes you think it's that?

I took it to a shop today, guy who does inspections hooked it up, he said it had one code, a lean code. I figured that's the kind of code that may have been a fluke based on a number of things, so we cleared the code. So far, it hasn't come back. If it's not here tomorrow, I'll go get it inspected, otherwise he said he'll be able to figure out what the problem is.

Thanks
Old 03-07-17, 02:33 PM
kurtcobain
Driver School Candidate

Oh and btw... even if it does turn out to be what your hunch is, I still wouldn't consider that "had". The car is still worth it, it has 138k on it and I pad $2900. The leather is almost like new, nice black on grey two-tone paint, drives like a real dream! Just love it so far... and my other car is a 400hp 335xi
Old 03-07-17, 05:11 PM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Trac Off because it's tied into the ACIS (variable length intake) on VVTi 1MZ engines (I think). So a lot of codes that have to do with the engine and ABS will disable traction control; a friend just brought me his '00 because smog was up and it was throwing a CEL and Trac Off: knock sensor code, did those, bypass hose, intake gaskets, and tossed in a new radiator because the old one had a cracked mouth.

I work on a lot of Toyotas of this vintage, and with one notable exception, a P0171 and/or P0174 (Lean Bank 1, Bank 2, respectively) is almost always a vacuum leak. 1MZ tends to bake hoses in the Vee and if PCV system is malfunctioning/sludged up. If clearing it solved the problem, great, but I always show friends/clients by driving around with the scanner hooked up after clearing: they set as Pending codes and a couple starts later, CEL is on again.

Notable exception: neighbor's '00 RAV4 (3S-FE), threw phantom A/F sensor code (P1130) and lean code (P0171). All hoses were good, brand new Denso sensor. Turned out to be the [miraculously] stock battery after all these years, and the chewed up positive terminal (idiot gas station mechanics never take enough care), which was also causing some weird surging at idle when warmed up. Replaced both and everything was great. HTH
Old 03-07-17, 07:03 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Only because charcoal or evap canisters are a common cause for CEL/VSC lights on these case and despite not changing the way the car drives, can cost at least a few hundred to fix, you're the one who didn't provide a code, I was just throwing it out there. You may have not been had, but I highly doubt the previous owner was unaware of the problem before they sold it to you given how short a time you've had it. Thankfully the issue is minor and not what I thought it was
Old 03-09-17, 02:23 AM
Lexus43
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey,

I recently had the same lights go off. OB2 scanner ran codes P0300,P0302,P304,P0306,P1354. Car would run a rough idle at the stop light and would experience some hesitation at highway speeds. Did some research and replaced both the oil control valve and filter and the car runs like brand new again with no CEL or Trac Light!! OCV was $120 and Filter was $10 at Lexus Parts department.
Old 03-09-17, 11:35 AM
kurtcobain
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nsghtbrwry
Trac Off because it's tied into the ACIS (variable length intake) on VVTi 1MZ engines (I think). So a lot of codes that have to do with the engine and ABS will disable traction control; a friend just brought me his '00 because smog was up and it was throwing a CEL and Trac Off: knock sensor code, did those, bypass hose, intake gaskets, and tossed in a new radiator because the old one had a cracked mouth.

I work on a lot of Toyotas of this vintage, and with one notable exception, a P0171 and/or P0174 (Lean Bank 1, Bank 2, respectively) is almost always a vacuum leak. 1MZ tends to bake hoses in the Vee and if PCV system is malfunctioning/sludged up. If clearing it solved the problem, great, but I always show friends/clients by driving around with the scanner hooked up after clearing: they set as Pending codes and a couple starts later, CEL is on again.

Notable exception: neighbor's '00 RAV4 (3S-FE), threw phantom A/F sensor code (P1130) and lean code (P0171). All hoses were good, brand new Denso sensor. Turned out to be the [miraculously] stock battery after all these years, and the chewed up positive terminal (idiot gas station mechanics never take enough care), which was also causing some weird surging at idle when warmed up. Replaced both and everything was great. HTH
Thanks for the info, yeah I didn't have the code when I first posted this thread. it's thorwing p0171. Mechanic is looking at it, said he can find it, we'll see. He's only charging $45, most places charge like $100 just to look at it.

Hopefully i't something simple. The car is NOT driving rough or anything, it drives like a dream. It's so smooth and comfortalbe. Reminds me so much of my friends 2005 camry. I'm using this to keep the miles low on my 400+hp/450lb 335XI. I considered getting a little honda or something but i wanted something that wouldn't feel like a chore not to drive the 335. This is actually VERy nice to take to work and such. Lovely car, very pleased!