ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Car stereo, Faceplate reinstalled and new switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-03, 03:42 PM
Rit&Booner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car stereo, Faceplate reinstalled and new switch

I had to reinstall my aftermarket CD player after having my car wrecked and totalled. I put it on another 1995 ES300, same year same model but different color. This time I used the Metra wiring harness 70-8112 so I wouldn't have to cut any wires plus I don't know how to remove the center console. Using the Metra harness saved me a whole lot of time compared connecting the stereo straight to the speakers.

I also sanded down the autotoys.com faceplate since it was rough looking and painted it with black glossy paint to match the AC controls.

Another thing, thanks to the Metra harness, I now can control the antenna up or down by adding a switch. And it can go all the way up, getting great reception.

But using the Metra harness causes noise in the speakers. Metra says they have a part that can stop that noise, but I think someone on here had done something to prevent the whirring sound whenever the stereo is on. It's not the ground either...let me know if you know something.

Another problem, since I bought this car, the sound isn't all that great, or loud, and gets poppy when bass is up. I don't think it's the speakers but I thinking it's the factory amp...bad maybe.

Question, if I unplug the factory amp, would my stereo still work using the Metra Harness? Does this harness bypass the amp at all?
Attached Thumbnails Car stereo, Faceplate reinstalled and new switch-3dscf4594.jpg  
Old 05-31-03, 03:43 PM
Rit&Booner
Driver

pic
Attached Thumbnails Car stereo, Faceplate reinstalled and new switch-2dscf4595.jpg  
Old 05-31-03, 03:56 PM
Rit&Booner
Driver

Default Upper and Bottom part for sale

Since I took out the AC controls (upper part) from my wrecked ES and replaced it with my new ES, I now have a complete AC control and tape deck assembly for sale. The reason why I replaced the upper part is the that was on my new ES had dark spot in the center of the display. But all buttons work.

Let me know if you want it.
Old 05-31-03, 06:16 PM
Rit&Booner
Driver

Yup, just as I thought. I replaced the factory amp with my other factory amp that I took out from the wrecked ES300 and the sound works good. Bass doesn't sound poppy no more. Dang, I bought an ES with a bad amp. I knew something was wrong.
Old 06-16-03, 07:41 PM
late2party
Driver School Candidate

Dude, don't mean to be picky, but what's up with the power antenna toggle switch hanging off to the side of the center console? It would probably look nicer with a push-botton switch that's incorporated right into the black faceplate surrounding the stereo.
Old 06-16-03, 08:11 PM
Rit&Booner
Driver

You're right, it would be better to use push button and put into the faceplate, but I didn't have it at the time.
Old 03-27-06, 04:10 PM
djdoughboy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i also do not want to offend or be picky... maybe its the camera... but i think now that you have painted the dash harness to match the climate control unit... it looks even more out of place... too glossy or something...

...on another note... i had a question about the metra harness... does this harness allow you to keep the factory amp powering the speakers?
Old 03-27-06, 05:01 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

use satin black by krylon after extensively sanding the texture on the faceplate surround. it will be a perfect match. good luck
Old 03-27-06, 07:44 PM
papachino
Pole Position

you can also use a smoother/flatter switch and mold the switch where the seat heater button is supposed to be.