ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Sway Instalation

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-17, 04:31 AM
autosurge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway Instalation

Is there a left or right side or even a top or bottom on the sway bar on a '97 ES300 . One side of the new bar is painted. The bar was not remove by me, so I just wanted to make sure of the installation.
Old 06-30-17, 06:26 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I am confused. Are you talking about the sway bar or the sway bar end links?
In an ES300, there is 1 front sway bar with 2 front sway bar end links. Then there is also 1 rear sway bar with 2 rear sway bar end links.
Old 07-01-17, 07:47 PM
autosurge
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BDSL
I am confused. Are you talking about the sway bar or the sway bar end links?
In an ES300, there is 1 front sway bar with 2 front sway bar end links. Then there is also 1 rear sway bar with 2 rear sway bar end links.
I am speaking about the front sway bar, not the links. One end of the bar is painted the other side is not, which side the painted end goes?
Old 07-06-17, 03:54 AM
autosurge
Driver School Candidate

Default Sway bar installation

Is there a left or right side or even a top or bottom on the sway bar on a '97 ES300 . One side of the new bar is painted. The bar was not remove by me, so I just wanted to make sure of the installation. Also I have been trying to remove the outer CV joint from the left side axle to replace the outer boot, but all the tapping of the outer joint it is still not popping out. I really do not know what to do, because I really don't want to spoil the joint. can anyone advise.all I want to do is to replace the broken boot.
Old 07-09-17, 10:45 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I understand about the sway bar, it has a subtle curve and could easily be reinstalled upside down. I believe the paint mark goes up and on the driver's side, at least that is how mine was. Going from memory though. The end of the bar installed properly, should curve down and follow the control arm closely, rather than up and away.
Old 07-10-17, 04:57 PM
autosurge
Driver School Candidate

Default Sway bar installation

Originally Posted by Power6
I understand about the sway bar, it has a subtle curve and could easily be reinstalled upside down. I believe the paint mark goes up and on the driver's side, at least that is how mine was. Going from memory though. The end of the bar installed properly, should curve down and follow the control arm closely, rather than up and away.

Okay thanks for the info I thought it was wrong due to the fact that it was so close to the control arm. Still trying to change to axle boot on the left side cannot get it off the axle. any ideas.
Old 07-11-17, 09:05 AM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by autosurge
Okay thanks for the info I thought it was wrong due to the fact that it was so close to the control arm. Still trying to change to axle boot on the left side cannot get it off the axle. any ideas.
Cut it off
Old 07-12-17, 03:46 AM
autosurge
Driver School Candidate

Cut What off? The boot is broken and I cannot get the joint off to be able to replace if.
Old 07-12-17, 09:42 AM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by autosurge
Cut What off? The boot is broken and I cannot get the joint off to be able to replace if.
Oh my bad, I thought the axle was already off the car. I usually don't have trouble with the passenger side (I'm in CA and the intermediate shaft bearing rusting to the carrier is not an issue) since it doesn't have a snap ring that goes in the diff. For the driver side, I have a buddy pry from the top with a long 24-in prybar, while I pry straight across with a shorter prybar from below and simultaneously turn the axle. Usually pops it out when we synchronize
Old 07-12-17, 08:05 PM
autosurge
Driver School Candidate

I have the axle off the car. but to replace the boot I have to separate the outer CV joint. However I have tried tapping it off the shaft without any success. There is nothing wrong with the joint, so I do not want to destroy it. I just need to replace the outer boot.
Old 07-13-17, 08:55 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Speedkar just posted this video