ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Can I swap Front Seats 1996 Lexus Es300 with 1997 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 05:59 PM
AutoMaticI
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I swap Front Seats 1996 Lexus Es300 with 1997 Camry

Hi,

I have a 1996 Lexus Es300. California Emissions if that matters. I saw a 1997 Camry in the junkyard and the front seats were in amazing condition. My es300 seats are a mess. The camry i was looking at had power seats as well. They looked the same. I'm wondering if it's an easy swap or what it would take to do the swap. I don't care about seat heater or anything like that, but I obviously need the power seat basic functions. Will I need to do splicing or will the connectors match?

Ted
Old 07-14-17, 08:12 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

The bolt pattern is different. You may be able to bolt the seat cushion/frame to the seat mechanism but I never tried.
Old 07-15-17, 07:56 AM
AutoMaticI
Driver School Candidate

Hi, thanks for responding. Do you know if any year camry is straight up swappable? Also here's a response from a guy at Toyota nation and I was wondering if you had any comments as to what he said.
"As far as I know...

I've seen a 3ES with 2ES seats. I know from reading that a 3ES seats fit in Gen4 Camry. So in theory....It should work?

Issue would be would be the power seats. Might need to splice connections."
Old 07-15-17, 10:07 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

97-2001 ES is the same platform as the Camry of the same year(s) so in theory the seats will be a direct swap. Problem is the leather seats in that Camry are not near as nice as the ES. As for "I've seen a 3ES with 2ES seats" we have no idea what was done to make that happen, or even if it did.
Old 12-05-17, 09:44 PM
Joeyadams
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AutoMaticI
Hi,

I have a 1996 Lexus Es300. California Emissions if that matters. I saw a 1997 Camry in the junkyard and the front seats were in amazing condition. My es300 seats are a mess. The camry i was looking at had power seats as well. They looked the same. I'm wondering if it's an easy swap or what it would take to do the swap. I don't care about seat heater or anything like that, but I obviously need the power seat basic functions. Will I need to do splicing or will the connectors match?

Ted
I also have a 1996 lexus es 300 I was wondering what would an exchange interior wise
Old 12-09-17, 06:22 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I don’t know if you’d consider this helpful, but this might be a good opportunity to buy yourself a wire feed welder and do some either local or online classes, this will open up a whole new world of possibilities in the car hobby. If you can weld, you can fit seeds from a 2018 Mercedes into a 1928 model A. Again, I realize this isn’t a direct answer or probably even close to what you wanted to hear, but over the years welding has been invaluable to me in my car hobby, Classic/street rod/daily driver. One time, a majorly expensive component involving the sliding doors on our Honda Odyssey EXL broke, I had it fixed with the welder in a few minutes. That was three years and 65,000 miles ago.

that said, make sure you’re confident in your welds. You wouldn’t want your seat coming loose in an emergency stop
Old 09-21-22, 11:44 AM
pfunk4443
1st Gear

Originally Posted by acarapella
I don’t know if you’d consider this helpful, but this might be a good opportunity to buy yourself a wire feed welder and do some either local or online classes, this will open up a whole new world of possibilities in the car hobby. If you can weld, you can fit seeds from a 2018 Mercedes into a 1928 model A. Again, I realize this isn’t a direct answer or probably even close to what you wanted to hear, but over the years welding has been invaluable to me in my car hobby, Classic/street rod/daily driver. One time, a majorly expensive component involving the sliding doors on our Honda Odyssey EXL broke, I had it fixed with the welder in a few minutes. That was three years and 65,000 miles ago.

that said, make sure you’re confident in your welds. You wouldn’t want your seat coming loose in an emergency stop
I just found some seats that say are in good shape off of a 2001 ES300....I'd like to put them in a 99 Camry. Will they match up? Everything so far is saying yes but I'd like somebody with a little more knowledge than me to confirm, and my Camry doesn't have power anything, how hard is it going to be to splice in?
Old 09-26-22, 05:18 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by pfunk4443
I just found some seats that say are in good shape off of a 2001 ES300....I'd like to put them in a 99 Camry. Will they match up? Everything so far is saying yes but I'd like somebody with a little more knowledge than me to confirm, and my Camry doesn't have power anything, how hard is it going to be to splice in?

there are two ways to know this for sure: One is if the parts were used on both vehicles and can be cross referenced. This is obviously 100% not the case. Two is trying it and seeing if the bolt holes all line up. Which leaves the ball in your court. As for splicing in power to those seats, anything can be done. You will need to look up the wiring diagrams, or experiment. All the power seats I have worked on have nuts that hold the splined shafts into the gears. You can put a power ratchet (or a manual one if that’s all you have) on that nut and turn it until the seat is where you want. That will get you by until you figure out how to hook up the power seats, and yes it can be done, but you need to understand the wiring. This is something you were going to have to take a gamble on and see if the seats fit. No Lexus ES or it’s Japanese toyota windom equivalent Came with Camry seats, and no Camry came with seats from it. So there is no chance of lining up part numbers