ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

AC Compressor / AC Repair questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-17, 01:41 PM
ProfPlum
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AC Compressor / AC Repair questions

My AC pulley has been stupid noisy since I bought the car a couple years ago, but ONLY when the AC was on. I could see play in the pulley when it was turning, so I believed it was just the bearing.

About 4 weeks ago,the pulley started making noise when the AC wasn't engaged, so I stopped driving the car or I drove it as little as possible, with the intention of replacing the bearing ASAP.

I needed to run to the store and the ES300 was the only thing at hand, so drove it to Home Depot without using the AC. Got there without incident. When I came back out of the store, the car wouldn't start and was making a very labored attempt to turn over.

When my daughter showed up, I was able to confirm that the AC compressor pulley was not turning at all and that's why the car couldn't start. I pulled the serpentine belt and drove the car home (~5 miles)

Could it be that the bearing has seized? Or do you think it's more likely that the compressor ate itself?

I have purchased a replacement compressor - new Denso. Figured for a 1997, it is time regardless if it's just the bearing. Even with the noise, my AC was ice cold.

I have a good set of gauges. I've evacuated the system. I have all 4 bolts loosened and am ready to pull the compressor off the car. Waiting because I ordered r134a and the replacement dryer from Amazon and don't want to have the system opened to the air that long. Question: Does that even matter since I'm replacing the dryer?

Is there a way to determine what the cause was? If the bearing, I don't think I need to be as concerned with flushing the lines. I was thinking I could pull the clutch and see if that allows the pulley/shaft to spin freely. If it does

If the compressor ate itself, my plan is to pull the line from the compressor to the dryer and make sure it's clean, looking for signs of debris of course.

Question: Wouldn't the dessicant in the dryer stop any metal debris from passing int the condenser?

I also plan to disconnect the other side (low) from the compressor to the connector mid-engine on the passenger side and clean it out looking for signs of metal debris.

I have the bolts to the compressor loosened and am ready to remove it.

Thanks for you insights! My first attempt with AC stuff.

Last edited by ProfPlum; 08-07-17 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-07-17, 04:12 PM
ProfPlum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ProfPlum
My AC pulley has been stupid noisy since I bought the car a couple years ago, but ONLY when the AC was on. I could see play in the pulley when it was turning, so I believed it was just the bearing.

About 4 weeks ago,the pulley started making noise when the AC wasn't engaged, so I stopped driving the car or I drove it as little as possible, with the intention of replacing the bearing ASAP.

I needed to run to the store and the ES300 was the only thing at hand, so drove it to Home Depot without using the AC. Got there without incident. When I came back out of the store, the car wouldn't start and was making a very labored attempt to turn over.

When my daughter showed up, I was able to confirm that the AC compressor pulley was not turning at all and that's why the car couldn't start. I pulled the serpentine belt and drove the car home (~5 miles)

Could it be that the bearing has seized? Or do you think it's more likely that the compressor ate itself?

I have purchased a replacement compressor - new Denso. Figured for a 1997, it is time regardless if it's just the bearing. Even with the noise, my AC was ice cold.

I have a good set of gauges. I've evacuated the system. I have all 4 bolts loosened and am ready to pull the compressor off the car. Waiting because I ordered r134a and the replacement dryer from Amazon and don't want to have the system opened to the air that long. Question: Does that even matter since I'm replacing the dryer?

Is there a way to determine what the cause was? If the bearing, I don't think I need to be as concerned with flushing the lines. I was thinking I could pull the clutch and see if that allows the pulley/shaft to spin freely. If it does

If the compressor ate itself, my plan is to pull the line from the compressor to the dryer and make sure it's clean, looking for signs of debris of course.

Question: Wouldn't the dessicant in the dryer stop any metal debris from passing int the condenser?

I also plan to disconnect the other side (low) from the compressor to the connector mid-engine on the passenger side and clean it out looking for signs of metal debris.

I have the bolts to the compressor loosened and am ready to remove it.

Thanks for you insights! My first attempt with AC stuff.
I've been researching and it appears that I was mistaken on the directional flow, so the dryer wouldn't be a barrier to any debris traveling to through the system. Pulling the condenser will just take a bit more time, so going to plan on doing that to flush it....assuming the compressor looks like it self destructed when I pull it out and its not just the pulley bearing.
Old 08-07-17, 04:59 PM
pacerman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Better safe than having to go through it twice. Flush the system and evacuate it again. Check any orifice tube of filter you may have.
Old 08-18-17, 03:34 PM
ProfPlum
Driver School Candidate

Turned out that my compressor was fine - it was just the pulley that was completely locked up. I could freely spin the clutch and the compressor movement was flawless.

Swapped the compressor out for the new Denso (and the dryer), pulled a vacuum, put in 2.5 cans of r134a and I am once again loving my freezing cold A/C.

Last edited by ProfPlum; 08-18-17 at 03:35 PM. Reason: added that I also swapped dryer for new
Old 08-20-17, 05:33 AM
pacerman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know you're cold again. Congrats!