ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
View Poll Results: Master tint thread
0%
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Official ES Tint Thread - add your pics here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-10, 01:32 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Dont tint the windshield. I'm going to do 5% all around on mine and leave the windshield alone
Old 07-07-10, 02:08 PM
abobiznow
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you mean the driver side and passenger side windows? you can't mean the front windshield..?

anyway, i had 5% all around on my old 1998 ES that i had for about 5 years. i would recommend 20%, which i have on my current car. 5% is too dark. it looks awesome but it's terrible at night and in winter bc you have to constantly roll down your window to see what's behind you. 20% isn't as dark but it looks good and it's more driveable. good luck in your decision process.
Old 07-07-10, 02:35 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd probably go 50% Front and 20% on the rest like your tint guy said. Ask him if he has any photos of other cars he's done with the same % on the front for you to see.
Old 07-07-10, 02:49 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently got mine tinted. I now have 5% on the back three windows and 50% on the front roll ups. In Cali, you cannot have any tint on the front roll ups, but I wanted some protection vs nothing and 50% should be light enough not to be bothered by the cops. I also have 5% on the top half of the winshield. Some tint tint shops in Cali will put 50% or lighter on the windshield, but is highly illegal. Most UV comes thru the front windshield. Good luck on your decision bro.
Old 07-07-10, 03:41 PM
86'ed
Rookie

Go with 50% on the windshield.... 35% will be too dark at night. Ive got 50% on the windshield now and had 20% everywhere else and I loved it. Can still see fine at night but its a noticeable difference in the day too............... Also, get it done right the first time, Its a biotch to redo! GL
Old 07-07-10, 04:02 PM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

Dont tint the windshield. Not only will it be dark and unsafe at night, but it will distort your vision as well as add glare.

As far as what percentage to go with either go with 20% or 35% all around. IMO mix-matching shades looks horrible (no offense to you guys above), but if your gonna do it do it right and make it consistent.
James
Old 07-07-10, 04:22 PM
86'ed
Rookie

Originally Posted by JTS06Z06
Dont tint the windshield. Not only will it be dark and unsafe at night, but it will distort your vision as well as add glare.
Negative........... with 50% on the windshield it is not too dark or unsafe at night and does not distort vision or add glare (The last 2 may be possible with shytty quality tint though)! Are you speaking from experience or just making assumptions?
Old 07-07-10, 05:20 PM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 86'ed
Negative........... with 50% on the windshield it is not too dark or unsafe at night and does not distort vision or add glare (The last 2 may be possible with shytty quality tint though)! Are you speaking from experience or just making assumptions?
Well I assumed that because when looking through the back windows that are tinted you see some glare from headlights so I thought that you would get that same effect through the windshield as well. This was professionally tinted using high quality 35% Llumar film. I guess 50% would be different but every car with tinted windows I have looked through there are atleast some imperfections and for sure glare from lights. Im not saying im right or wrong but I personally have never tinted a windshield as having all the other windows tinted gives atleast the look of a tinted windshield so for me there was no reason to do it.
If you have it done and you say its great then im sure it is.

Thanks for the clarification.

James
Old 07-07-10, 08:14 PM
exxonham
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the replies, and I do mean 50%/35% on front windshield, I know the safety concerns and its not legal but just want it to look bad ***, prob going with 50% on front cause i want some tint and 35% is prob too dark I do deliver pizza at night, but I have a spot light, And this shop tinted two prior cars and did a great job and also going with 20% on the other Five windows. Ill post pics sometime this weekend but any other thoughts?
Old 07-08-10, 04:40 AM
exxonham
Driver

Hey another quick question, itsd been a while since I got tint but is 225 for five windows and 125 for windshield, Does that seem pretty fair its been few years since ive had a car tintied
Old 07-08-10, 07:00 AM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

I had my Z06 tinted for $200 (VERY difficult rear window), my wifes 04 Accord (7 windows) for $200, and my 07 Acura TL-S tinted for $200 as well. I am going to assume he will do the 5 windows in my 00 Lexus for under $200 since it looks very easy with no window frames.
Sounds like its a reasonable price but you could probably get it done a little cheaper.

James
Old 07-08-10, 08:11 AM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

I paid about $130 few years back for a coupe n front windshield. I'm about to retint the Lex in a few weeks and pay About $150 for all but nothing on front window including removing old tint. Depends mostly on where you take it.
Old 07-08-10, 07:29 PM
exxonham
Driver

Thanks for all the advice, I might be able to get little cheaper but they have done such a good job in the past and its quality 3M tint so it will be worth it, cant do it this weekend but it will be done tuesday cant wait to put up pics.
Old 07-09-10, 06:16 AM
Specter
Driver

Knowing nothing about tint....

Whats up with that bubbling tint you see on rear windows ?

Does opening and closing windows scratch or remove tint ?

Does tint film peel off from the edges ?

Sorry for the dumb questions.....
Old 07-09-10, 07:50 AM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Specter
Knowing nothing about tint....

Whats up with that bubbling tint you see on rear windows ?

Does opening and closing windows scratch or remove tint ?

Does tint film peel off from the edges ?

Whats up with that bubbling tint you see on rear windows?
-Tint you see thats bubbling or turning purple is one of two things or both. Extremely old lower quality tint that has been on the car for many many years and/or low quality tint done by the owner (not professionally). Higher end films of today such as Llumar or 3M are gaurunteed not to turn purple.

Does opening and closing windows scratch or remove tint?
-For the most part no opening or closing the window does not scratch tint however some cars with very tight window seals do scratch the tint and leave vertical lines over time. Two cars that come to mind are Mercedes Benz and Honda/Acura vehicles. I know because I own an Acura and sure enough my 5 month old tint job is showing vertical scratches on the window film. Worst case the tint can always be removed and reapplied if the scratches get bad enough.

Does tint film peel off from the edges?
-A professionally done tint job will not peel off at the edges.

-Thats ok lol

Quick Reply: Official ES Tint Thread - add your pics here!