ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

96 ES300 Blown radio,CD,Player in One Crack

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-17, 08:00 PM
herculesx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 ES300 Blown radio,CD,Player in One Crack

A Friend of mine had a 95 Lexus ES300 and his radio was shot,for sure,Dealer Tested it and said his Radio and CD in the TRUNK were Blown by a Shorted Wire that Rubbed Thru insulation, I asked and he said he Never Got to See the Old Shortted Wires( I Don't Trust Very Many People These Days! They Fixed the Wire, But Wanted like $1500 for putting in an AM/FM and a Used CD in the Trunk,Anyway he got a New Radio and a Not 100% Sure What Condition Trunk CD But not new for Sure,Had The Rub Marks From Being Installed and Dust in all the cracks,Used For Sure, now Rode hard and Put away Wet I can't Say,Maybe His girlfriend!! Anyway,He asked me to Try the CD in My Car,So I UnHooked the battery and Swapped out the CD Players ! Put the Battery back in Started MY Car Turned on the Radio (Fine,Everything Lite Up) Put the 6 CD Bundle in his hooked up Cd and Switched the Radio to CD and as soon as the CD Started Indexing the Disks, You Can Hear it, There was A LOUD POP, Sounded Weird Like it came From Around Steering Wheel or Floor Area really Sounded Like a .22? I checked Everything after I Unhooked the battery and After I Unhooked His JUNK ,What I found Was My Radio Was NOW Dead HOW? It was a Different CD from his Original Blown,Shorted One,The Numbers on his Newer CD Were an Exact Match With My CD? When I Tried My CD Nothing,The Radio Got ToastedChecked Under Hood fuses and they were fine,Even changed some Scrappy looking ones with NEW! Then I put my Voltage Tester on The radio Plug,Seems Like I’m getting 12.1V All the Time to the Clock Pin But When I turn the Key to On The radio pin is only getting like 2.1 volts,When I turn the key off it Goes to ZERO! I checked the under Hood fuses again,All Good,But under the Dash that #8 FUSE is Like a 60 AMP,Could that Be It,I have a Working Radio,but I’m afraid if I plug it in it will Blow Too, and My CD Should still Be Perfect? I looked for the Tube Fuse in back of the radio Nothing Yet But I Still Got One Cover to Look Under! Then I’m Dead in the Water,Any and All help appreciated!I’d like to fix this radio Car only has 106,310 miles I owned it from my grandmother who Bought it new,Not one Accident,Rims are Perfect,Little Headlight Frost from UV,but thats It.

Last edited by herculesx; 01-20-18 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Missed adding #8 60 Amp Fuse question!